Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics
I just heard on my local news that the ban on women in combat has been lifted.

Thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (221-226):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

We may both be saying they should have the right, but you are then adding in something else. Your statement in blue talks about women wanting to be exactly like men. I don't think the majority, if any of the women serving in such a capacity, want to be like men. They want to be like who they are, women, and be allowed to serve as such. In fact, I feel your statement is insultive to women, insinuating that they aren't comfortable being a woman if they are seeking out such a position.

Quoting KamWorthy:

If a woman wants to be equal with a man in all capacities, she has a right, this is all I am saying...we actually agree. In case you did not notice.

Quoting rccmom:

Why can women not want to serve their country in any capacity? It is not about wanting to be like men, but about being who we are and being allowed to be who we are. Some women have that drive, as women.

Quoting KamWorthy:

But shouldn't those who want to be exactly like men, minus the penis, be allowed to serve and die on the front lines just like men?
Quoting NC_Mom_06:

I don't think they should be able too. My husband who was active navy for 12 years says if they can do everything then why not. I just don't think  they should be able too. Men are way stronger and woman shouldn't be fighting in a WAR.

KamWorthy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
If you will look at my very first comment in the post, I certainly did not say ALL women in the military want to be like men. You are attempting to debate something that is not debatable. Do you think there are not SOME women in the military who want to be just like men minus the penis? Do you think those women who want to be just like men minus the penis, don't have a right to be?
Quoting rccmom:

We may both be saying they should have the right, but you are then adding in something else. Your statement in blue talks about women wanting to be exactly like men. I don't think the majority, if any of the women serving in such a capacity, want to be like men. They want to be like who they are, women, and be allowed to serve as such. In fact, I feel your statement is insultive to women, insinuating that they aren't comfortable being a woman if they are seeking out such a position.

Quoting KamWorthy:

If a woman wants to be equal with a man in all capacities, she has a right, this is all I am saying...we actually agree. In case you did not notice.

Quoting rccmom:

Why can women not want to serve their country in any capacity? It is not about wanting to be like men, but about being who we are and being allowed to be who we are. Some women have that drive, as women.

Quoting KamWorthy:

But shouldn't those who want to be exactly like men, minus the penis, be allowed to serve and die on the front lines just like men?
Quoting NC_Mom_06:

I don't think they should be able too. My husband who was active navy for 12 years says if they can do everything then why not. I just don't think  they should be able too. Men are way stronger and woman shouldn't be fighting in a WAR.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I think that you are being insultive. I was just trying to figure out if it was deliberate, or simply poorly worded.

Quoting KamWorthy:

If you will look at my very first comment in the post, I certainly did not say ALL women in the military want to be like men. You are attempting to debate something that is not debatable. Do you think there are not SOME women in the military who want to be just like men minus the penis? Do you think those women who want to be just like men minus the penis, don't have a right to be?
Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting NC_Mom_06:

KamWorthy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I think you are being insensative. You seem to think women who choose to desire to be equal to men in ALL capacities, minus the anatomical factors, don't have a right.
Quoting rccmom:

I think that you are being insultive. I was just trying to figure out if it was deliberate, or simply poorly worded.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting NC_Mom_06:

rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

No, I'm not, and I am sure most of the female vets would agree with me. As for equality, again, my position is clear without being disparaging towards the women serving in such a capacity. I am coming to the conclusion though that you were deliberately insultive, but that is your problem, not mine. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

I think you are being insensative. You seem to think women who choose to desire to be equal to men in ALL capacities, minus the anatomical factors, don't have a right.
Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting NC_Mom_06:

KamWorthy
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Well but of course, they will be begging to be drafted, no doubt. .An 18 year old, someone's baby girl, should be forced just like men in a draft, to enter boot camp and be sent to the front lines and be just as nervous, and scared to death as some boys are I'm sure. Equality for all!!
Quoting jcrew6:

If the draft is ever needed to be reinstated, I think women should be a part of this, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)