Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

POLL: TWO-THIRDS OF AMERICANS WOULD DEFY FEDERAL GUN BAN

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

By Jennifer Harper - The Washington Times

January 20, 2013, 05:05PM

An interesting little factoid has emerged from a new Fox News poll of U.S. voters: Personal sentiments are strong and defiant among many U.S. gun owners.

Question 46 in the wide-ranging survey of more than 1,000 registered voters asks if there is a gun in the household. Overall, 52 percent of the respondents said yes, someone in their home owned a gun. That number included 65 percent of Republicans, 59 percent of conservatives, 38 percent of Democrats and 41 percent of liberals.

But on to Question 47, addressed to those with a gun in their home: "If the government passed a law to take your guns, would you give up your guns or defy the law and keep your guns?"

The response: 65 percent reported they would "defy the law." That incudes 70 percent of Republicans, 68 percent of conservatives, 52 percent of Democrats and 59 percent of liberals.

The poll of 1,008 registered U.S. voters was conducted Jan. 15-17.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/jan/20/two-thirds-us-weapons-owners-would-defy-federal-gu/#ixzz2J2MsT7pF 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  This is a Fox News poll.

2.  There is no proposed law whatsoever to "take your guns".

So, if I invent a scenario meant to scare the hell out of a skewed segment, should I be surprised at the results?

Maybe next they'll go ask some Girl Scouts if they'd hand over their cookies if cookies were banned.

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

this would be relevant if anyone was actually talking about banning guns.

You folks need to get it through your head, limits and controls does not equal ban. However, I get the majority that are worried are fucking nuts so they wouldn't qualify to own a gun.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, this is a Fox News poll - And your point  would BE? The methodology and questions appear sound to me.  Go ahead - peruse the poll criteria and questions yourself, as I did, and let me know your scientific issues with this scientific poll and methodology. I assume you are familiar with the structure of a valid poll, and what kinds of traits make questions ambiguous, leading, or have any other such flaws. 

Fox polls are respected by respectable people, and the presidential polls always tracked along with the other major polls.

Again, Question 47, addressed to those with a gun in their home, was: "If the government passed a law to take your guns, would you give up your guns or defy the law and keep your guns?"

"If". Scientific polls ask "if" questions much of the time, such as: "If the election were held today, would you vote for X or Y?

Gun confiscation has - as you know - happened in other countries, like the UK, Australia, Japan, Russia, Germany, and even in our own (the US taking guns from Native Americans, blacks, and Japanese US citizens).

Just because you don't think a complete gun ban is a possibility, doesn't mean it is actually not a possibility. Open your mind. Geez, one would think that you only believe liberals, rather than taking everything with a critical thinking grain of salt. Careful, your bias is showing.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

So, if I invent a scenario meant to scare the hell out of a skewed segment, should I be surprised at the results?

Maybe next they'll go ask some Girl Scouts if they'd hand over their cookies if cookies were banned.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

How about Dianne Feinstein? She's one of my Senators - and has been trying to do that for years. Are you famiilar with her latest gun control proposals banning many handguns and rifles?

Did you even read this article? Where it said that a majority of liberal and Democrat gun owners - not just conservatives and Republicans - said they too would defy the ban?

What do you make of that? Are you calling your own political buddies "F-ing nuts"? Yikes.

Quoting mikiemom:

this would be relevant if anyone was actually talking about banning guns.

You folks need to get it through your head, limits and controls does not equal ban. However, I get the majority that are worried are fucking nuts so they wouldn't qualify to own a gun.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't foresee a ban on all guns at any point in our nations near future whatsoever.  That would be a violation of the 2nd amendment, which was upheld just a decade or two ago in a supreme court decision which basically stated that the term "militia" didn't mean private citizens couldn't own guns.

That doesn't mean it will never happen; it may one day will but if it does, it will maye go along the lines of other nations that have compulsory military service, which only allow trained members or former members of military to own weapons under specific conditions.

I tend to find (and this is not scientific) that there is a portion of Fox's viewing audience that seems to think all manner of things, not the least of which is that Obama will confiscate their guns.

Which isn't happening.

I'd think if you gave this exact same hypothetical situation to the average American who may view any number of news networks, you'd find much the same answer, after they all went, "Huh?  Wouldn't happen."

Quoting SallyMJ:

Yes, this is a Fox News poll - And your point  would BE? The methodology and questions appear sound to me.  Go ahead - peruse the poll criteria and questions yourself, as I did, and let me know your scientific issues with this scientific poll and methodology. I assume you are familiar with the structure of a valid poll, and what kinds of traits make questions ambiguous, leading, or have any other such flaws. 

Fox polls are respected by respectable people, and the presidential polls always tracked along with the other major polls.

Again, Question 47, addressed to those with a gun in their home, was: "If the government passed a law to take your guns, would you give up your guns or defy the law and keep your guns?"

"If". Scientific polls ask "if" questions much of the time, such as: "If the election were held today, would you vote for X or Y?

Gun confiscation has - as you know - happened in other countries, like the UK, Australia, Japan, Russia, Germany, and even in our own (the US taking guns from Native Americans, blacks, and Japanese US citizens).

Just because you don't think a complete gun ban is a possibility, doesn't mean it is actually not a possibility. Open your mind. Geez, one would think that you only believe liberals, rather than taking everything with a critical thinking grain of salt. Careful, your bias is showing.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Please read the poll methodology and questions, and let's talk after.

Are you dismissing the poll because you don't like Fox, because Fox is more conservative than all the other left-leaning networks? That sounds subjective based on feelings, and not objective based on facts.

Being a thinking person, don't you want to make your own assessment of the poll after reviewing the actual facts, rather than your pre-conceived feelings about the facts? 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

No, I don't foresee a ban on all guns at any point in our nations near future whatsoever.  That would be a violation of the 2nd amendment, which was upheld just a decade or two ago in a supreme court decision which basically stated that the term "militia" didn't mean private citizens couldn't own guns.

That doesn't mean it will never happen; it may one day will but if it does, it will maye go along the lines of other nations that have compulsory military service, which only allow trained members or former members of military to own weapons under specific conditions.

I tend to find (and this is not scientific) that there is a portion of Fox's viewing audience that seems to think all manner of things, not the least of which is that Obama will confiscate their guns.

Which isn't happening.

I'd think if you gave this exact same hypothetical situation to the average American who may view any number of news networks, you'd find much the same answer, after they all went, "Huh?  Wouldn't happen."

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

LIMom1105
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Exactly. Hardly an objective poll, and the scenario presented usn't reality.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Ok, I will - got it up and ready in another browser tab.  Thanks for the reply - I don't know if I will tonight though so be patient with me.

Mostly I don't want to do it tonight because my college girl is home (I just popped back in to be a smartass), and we are going to go chill on the sofa and I don't think I can handle anything more than cartoons right now but I think we are watching the Congo epsiode of Africa, which means I will be required to contribute to the conversation.

Damned hippy college kids :)  Just can't leave the old mom alone to watch Big Bang, oh nooooo.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Please read the poll methodology and questions, and let's talk after.

Are you dismissing the poll because you don't like Fox, because Fox is more conservative than all the other left-leaning networks? That sounds subjective based on feelings, and not objective based on facts.

Being a thinking person, don't you want to make your own assessment of the poll after reviewing the actual facts, rather than your pre-conceived feelings about the facts? 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Which isn't happening.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:01 AM

BUMP!

blondekosmic15
I love the Fall. Chill in the air decorated w/ bronze leaves & holidays approaching~
Yesterday at 9:49 PM
by Blonde on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

shake hand

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)