Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Stacey Campfield, Tennessee GOP Lawmaker, Wants To Tie Welfare Benefits To Children's Grades

Posted by   + Show Post
Stacey Campfield, Tennessee GOP Lawmaker, Wants To Tie Welfare Benefits To Children's Grades

Tennessee state Rep. Stacey Campfield (R) introduced a bill this week seeking to make welfare benefits contingent upon the grades of a would-be recipient's children.
Campfield's legislation, filed Thursday, would "require the reduction of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) payments for parents or caretakers of TANF recipients whose children fail to maintain satisfactory progress in school." TANF is more commonly referred to as welfare.
Under Campfield's bill, welfare recipients would face a loss of benefits if their children showed poor academic performance. It's unclear how these factors would be tied to one another, or how the children's performance would be assessed.
In a blog addressing his proposal, Campfield calls his bill a measure to "break the cycle of poverty." According to Campfield, education is a "three legged stool" comprised of schools, teachers and parents. He claims the state has adequately held the first two legs of the school accountable, but argues that it should apply more pressure on the third.
"The third leg of the stool (probably the most important leg) is the parents," Campfield writes. "We have done little to hold them accountable for their child's performance. What my bill would do is put some responsibility on parents for their child's performance."
Campfield has been a pioneer of creative ways to target beneficiaries of entitlement programs in the past. He was a driving force behind failed efforts to require Tennesseeans seeking government benefits to first pass drug tests.
He was also the legislator behind Tennessee's controversial and ill-fated "don't say gay bill" in early 2012.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

This seriously one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen.  How about we tie that idiots pay to actually doing something productive with his time.

They have no issue seeing poor babies starve in the street

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, no.  Charity will take care of them.  You know, just like charity takes care of all homeless and hungry people.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

This seriously one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen.  How about we tie that idiots pay to actually doing something productive with his time.

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this

How many more cliches and stereotypes can you all come up with? 

Kids in school, whose parents are on TANF, already get more than their "fair share" of resources from the community, and the state.  I see no problem with this bill.  It does not require straight A's, it requires that there be some progress.  Just like the school itself has to prove progress in order to continue to receive state and federal funding.  It's only fair, right?

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stacymomof2:

Oh, no.  Charity will take care of them.  You know, just like charity takes care of all homeless and hungry people.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I like that pic!  *steals*

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Sums it up pretty nicely..

Quoting stacymomof2:

I like that pic!  *steals*

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting stacymomof2:

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Makes sense to me.

When I taught in inner city schools, the biggest problem for my students was indifference of many parents to their children's education. Kids whose parents were involved tended to achieve better in school. That isn't the case for most kids there, and that indifference can lead to a downward spiral of poverty.

A friend of mine made an interesting observation (he is black). He went to an inner city public library, and saw lots of black kids sitting around and playing outside. Inside, Asian moms in that same inner city library were working with their kids on their homework. A huge disparity.

Any wonder that Americans of Asian descent have by far the highest test scores, college attendance and career success of any ethnic group in the country? 

Parental involvement in their children's education absolutely is a key factor to their success in life.

Damn... your response is laced with so many stereotypes I don't know where to begin...

Why do you feel that the parents are indifferent to their children's education? Did you ever think about the fact that a lot of these parents have to work?... Some are working more than one job? How about the fact that maybe both mom and dad may be working hard because the bills have to be paid?... the cost of living is going up and wages are not. 

What you may see as "indifference" may be parents doing everything in their power to keep a roof over their families heads, food in their children's bellies etc... They may not have the time to be as involved as parents who are financially more stable - and if you worked in an inner city/low-income school and you did not have a biased attitude - you could vouch for that because you know... right?... 

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

somuchlove4U
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This would be a law I would have a hard time supporting. My sister receives food stamps. Her eldest son has a learning disability. She has had to fight to make sure
the teachers stuck with his iep. How would this bill help them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Quoting 29again:

Kids in school, whose parents are on TANF, already get more than their "fair share" of resources from the community, and the state.  I see no problem with this bill.  It does not require straight A's, it requires that there be some progress.  Just like the school itself has to prove progress in order to continue to receive state and federal funding.  It's only fair, right?

You know what... you are absolutely right... Yeah let's make it even harder on low income families by making their eligibility to receiving benefits being tied to their child's progress in school... Sounds damn fair to me... Oh... wait... not all of our schools are equally funded; all of our schools do not have effective teachers in the classrooms; and it's usually the schools that these kids go to that have these problems and more - outdated resources, no extra curricular activities, and so on. 

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting 29again:

You know what... you are absolutely right... Yeah let's make it even harder on low income families by making their eligibility to receiving benefits being tied to their child's progress in school... Sounds damn fair to me... Oh... wait... not all of our schools are equally funded; all of our schools do not have effective teachers in the classrooms; and it's usually the schools that these kids go to that have these problems and more - outdated resources, no extra curricular activities, and so on. 

#1.  This is only in Tennessee, not nationwide.  Don't worry, it won't affect you in NY.  Besides, Cuomo won't ever go for something like this, would he? Why not look at what is going on in TN, first.  I would think that those living there know their situation better than you do.

#2.  The schools and the teachers have been / are being held accountable for their role in education.  Why are parents exempt from being responsible for their children, just because they receive PA?  Again, this is in TN, not all over.  Yes, some schools are underfunded, have outdated supplies, etc.  Does this apply in TN? 

#3.  You do realize that if a student's family receives PA, that student automatically receives free lunches, and does not have to pay school fees.  (at least in my state.)  So, in addition to TANF, FS, medical, rent assistance, daycare assistance, car repair assistance, utility assistance, these families also receive free lunches for the school kids (so they don't have to waste those precious FS on school lunches for the kids, of course) and free schooling.  IF this mom was working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet, she would not qualify for assistance.  So, to receive this much assistance, she is working the minimum to keep all that assistance, which means she has time to make sure that little Johnny is doing his homework and studying for his tests.  That what moms DO anyway.  That is part of being a parent.  I think it smacks of hypocrisy to moan about the "rich" not paying their fair share, yet give the "poor" a free ride on everything, holding them accountable for nothing.  No wonder there are so many on PA these days, it's a free ride!  No worries, no stress, just sign this, apply for that, and you can take and take and take......... what a life, and what an example to set for the children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN