Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A good reason for religion to stay out of politics

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

Its sad that some people think just because someone doesn't have God in their lives, it means they deserve the worst. Just because you believe in God, doesn't make you a better person, nor does it mean those with other beliefs should be treated like crap because you think your better than them. I like to be around Christians and Catholics that leave it up to God to decide these things. Its no one else's decision to force things in another persons life. smh

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/01/25/arizona-republicans-propose-bill-that-would-not-allow-atheists-to-graduate-high-school/

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM
That blog does not seem credible to me. No need to panic!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM
That's asinine. Even without the religious part that's a heck of a pledge to require of a teenager. It would be fine if it were optional, but requiring such a pledge in order to graduate is flat out wrong.
annelauer
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM
If you don't trust the blog, look up the proposed bill itself. This is not rocket science...

Quoting Aivlys_:

Aivlys_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol...... Why don't you post the proposed bill,

guess that was too much rocket science for you!

Quoting annelauer:

If you don't trust the blog, look up the proposed bill itself. This is not rocket science...

Quoting Aivlys_:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM
5 moms liked this

This post doesn't even make sense.

So religious people can't be involved in politics? Our First Amendment talks about freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And there are two parts to our freedom of religion: no establishment of religion, coupled with "free exercise thereof". Which means religious people don't have to leave their faith at home. Most laws are derived from codes from religions anyway. Like American law, which is based on English common law, which is based on biblical law.

Besides, if religious people were not allowed in politics, then you have to disallow Pagans, atheists, agnostics, people who avoid stepping on cracks so they don't break their mothers' backs, Occupiers, extreme environmentalists, and global warming / climate change-ologists. All of those world views function as religions.

All protected under the First Amendment. Equal protection under the law.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Aivlys_:

http://legiscan.com/AZ/text/HB2467 (not shouting, it's in caps lock, lol)

BEGINNING IN THE 2013‑2014 SCHOOL YEAR, IN ADDITION TO FULFILLING THE COURSE OF STUDY AND ASSESSMENT REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED IN THIS CHAPTER, BEFORE A PUPIL IS ALLOWED TO GRADUATE FROM A PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL IN THIS STATE, THE PRINCIPAL OR HEAD TEACHER OF THE SCHOOL SHALL VERIFY IN WRITING THAT THE PUPIL HAS RECITED THE FOLLOWING OATH:

I, _________, DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; THAT I TAKE THIS OBLIGATION FREELY, WITHOUT ANY MENTAL RESERVATION OR PURPOSE OF EVASION; AND THAT I WILL WELL AND FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THESE DUTIES; SO HELP ME GOD. 

somuchlove4U
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
That's a ridiculous thing to ask of any teenager. They've earned their right to graduate. They should not have to say an oath.
Serenitymom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I never said people of religious nature couldn't be a politician. Did you even read the site? If you did, you'd see what I ment.

Quoting SallyMJ:

This post doesn't even make sense.

So religious people can't be involved in politics? Our First Amendment talks about freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And there are two parts to our freedom of religion: no establishment of religion, coupled with "free exercise thereof". Which means religious people don't have to leave their faith at home. Most laws are derived from codes from religions anyway. Like American law, which is based on English common law, which is based on biblical law.

Besides, if religious people were not allowed in politics, then you have to disallow Pagans, atheists, agnostics, people who avoid stepping on cracks so they don't break their mothers' backs, Occupiers, extreme environmentalists, and global warming / climate change-ologists. All of those world views function as religions.

All protected under the First Amendment. Equal protection under the law.

parentalrights1
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I don't think teenagers should have to take an oath to graduate but I think the oath is fine if they dropped the "So help me G-d" from it.  It is the same, if not similar to oaths we take in court and existing federal oaths.  It also mimics the oath to become a lawyer.  The President doesn't have to say "So help me G-d" but President Obama did. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN