Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you really need a lot of ammo, a military style rifle?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:33 AM
  • 38 Replies
2 moms liked this

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Any American of Korean descent knows the story of how Korean shopkeepers organized in the face of the 1992 LA Riots to protect their shops, community and selves. They refer to it as Sah-E-Goo, literally 4-2-9, the date of the acquittal of LA Police officers for the beating of Rodney King. What followed was six days of ravenous looting, violent physical assault (remember Reginald Denny or Fidel Lopez?), willful arson (over $1 billion in property damage) and even murder.

After seeing his store’s security guard murdered before his very eyes, Kee Whan Ha, a business owner, organized members of the Koreatown community into a militia to protect themselves. The police were completely overwhelmed, and these innocent shopkeepers, simple businessmen, were on their own. They relied on the AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, the civilian version of the fully automatic military model. They also made use of high-capacity magazines to save lives. That’s right, they saved lives by having a high- capacity magazine and a military-style rifle. Because they had plenty of ammo, they were able to fire warning shots and turn away groups of marauders looking for loot and mayhem. They not only saved their own lives and the lives of innocents, but spared the guilty with warning shots. Sometimes just the appearance of the weapon itself was enough to cause roving scum to turn tail. It was crazy that their sleepy, normally calm neighborhood turned into an instant war zone.

The rioting only ended after the California National Guard and U.S. Marines from Camp Pendleton were called in with their real machine guns to quell the riot. Fifty-three people were killed and thousands injured, but Koreatown was spared. How many more might have been saved or protected if only they, too, had guns and ammo?

Or take the story of Melinda Herman, the Georgia mother, and her twin 9-year-olds who were hunted throughout their house by a robber. Melinda did everything liberals tell us to do. She ran upstairs, locked the bedroom door, ran into the bathroom and locked it, too. Then she slipped into a crawlspace with her kids and called for help. The scumbag tore through three doors and opened the crawlspace to go after them, his intent no longer “simple robbery,” but much worse. At that point, Melinda unloaded all six shots from her revolver with five hitting the criminal. Lucky for her, he fled the scene, because she was out of ammunition. What if he’d brought a friend or if it were an entire gang? Would any person in their right mind not want her to reload and fire as many rounds as it took to stop the attack?

How about the 15-year-old Houston boy who recently used his dad’s AR-15 to protect himself and his 12-year-old sister against two home invaders. Would those two kids have been better off disarmed?

Crime and violence are all around us. It happens in an instant when we least expect it, and no criminal asks for a license to rob, rape or murder. Why put the burden on the honest and the innocent?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:49 AM
4 moms liked this

I live in the LA area, and very much remember the LA riots 20 years ago, wow. You could smell smoke in the air all the way from the city, and the sky was a strange orange color. I saw people running around Old Pasadena, and they did not look like they were up to any good. It was scary.

Criminals threw BRICKS at, and kicked, Reginald Denny's head. He was saved by black residents with a gun, before he would have been murdered.

And who can forget the Korean shop owners protecting themselves and their property with AR-15s for SIX DAYS, when even the police did not come because it was too dangerous - until the military came in.

Crazy days - could definitely happen again. The police can't always be there to protect us. In fact, usually they come AFTER a violent crime has been committed, not before. It is definitely better to be able to protect yourself, rather than not.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:10 AM
2 moms liked this

No doubt Al-Qaeda & many other terrorist affiliates are watching this very carefully hoping the Diane Feinsteins & Pres. Obama will be successful in strict gun legislation. Much easier to kill us, cause destruction & chaos in our cities & streets. Obama did claim Al-Qaeda is severely weakened following bin Laden's death. To the contrary, terrorism has strengthened thru out the world esp specific regions in the ME and Africa. Terrorist cells in America keep abreast of these events. I have been reading about their strategies for yrs. Russia and China are keeping a close eye upon the gun controversy. Neither are America's friends. I have literature from several yrs ago which lists in detail strategic steps the Communists use to enslave a Nation. Lack of protection for Americans...a dream come true for our enemies. Sadly, many do not learn from history. 911 a distant memory...

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this, Sally..

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

no-one is disarming our military. You have watched Red Dawn a few too many times.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

No doubt Al-Qaeda & many other terrorist affiliates are watching this very carefully hoping the Diane Feinsteins & Pres. Obama will be successful in strict gun legislation. Much easier to kill us, cause destruction & chaos in our cities & streets. Obama did claim Al-Qaeda is severely weakened following bin Laden's death. To the contrary, terrorism has strengthened thru out the world esp specific regions in the ME and Africa. Terrorist cells in America keep abreast of these events. I have been reading about their strategies for yrs. Russia and China are keeping a close eye upon the gun controversy. Neither are America's friends. I have literature from several yrs ago which lists in detail strategic steps the Communists use to enslave a Nation. Lack of protection for Americans...a dream come true for our enemies. Sadly, many do not learn from history. 911 a distant memory...

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
4 moms liked this

Good post! 

I thought I was coming in here to defend myself and others who believe they should have protection.  I think it's silly to have more than 10 bullets...it only takes one for a deer...but the bad guys are going to have as many bullets as they want...and I should be able to defend myself & my family against those bad guys...so I will have more too.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Pssss...

Have you seen the remake? Pretty good!

Quoting mikiemom:

no-one is disarming our military. You have watched Red Dawn a few too many times.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM
One for a deer? LOL!

You better be a dang good shot! Haha!!!

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

Good post! 

I thought I was coming in here to defend myself and others who believe they should have protection.  I think it's silly to have more than 10 bullets...it only takes one for a deer...but the bad guys are going to have as many bullets as they want...and I should be able to defend myself & my family against those bad guys...so I will have more too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
4 moms liked this

They want to disarm We the People, silly.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yes, it is excellent. Much better than the original.

I went into the movie with my nephews kicking and screaming, and came out very impressed.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Pssss...

Have you seen the remake? Pretty good!

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

And you do know that a "military style rifle" is called such because it is semiautomatic like most handguns, has a pistol grip, and is a rifle. Essentially a more accurate pistol with a greater capacity magazine. Thus, more effective against criminals - as 2 million law-abiding gun owners find out every year when they protect themselves against not-so-law-abiding citizens (ie, bad guys).

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)