Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

For The Sixth Time In One Week, Man Shot At Gun Show

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM
  • 48 Replies

For The Sixth Time In One Week, Man Shot At Gun Show

Gun activists designated last Saturday “Gun Appreciation Day” in an attempt to highlight their opposition to gun safety laws. The PR stunt proved to be more of an embarrassment, however, when 5 people were shot at 3 different gun shows on Gun Appreciation Day. On Friday afternoon, an Iowa gun dealer closed out the week by becoming the sixth person shot at a gun show. The man claims he was “showing off a .25 caliber pistol he thought was unloaded when he slid the action of the gun.” The gun was not unloaded, and a bullet went through his left palm.

After this incident, police found a second loaded weapon on the wounded gun dealer’s table.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Not good - but not even comparable to the much larger problem.

In 2012, 532 people were shot to death in Chicago - a city with some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. That gun homicide rate increased 17% over 2011, despite those strong gun laws. A number of otherwise law-abiding residents are resorting to having illegal guns to protect themselves. 

But since the killings are mostly blacks killing blacks, and because the mainstream media doesn't care to report it,  I suppose gun control proponents think that grim statistic is OK.

So definitely put in place stronger safety standards at gun shows. But good Lord, let the elected leaders in Illinois rethink the laws that are killing their own people.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

In 2012, 532 people were shot to death in Chicago - a city with some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. That gun homicide rate increased 17% over 2011, despite those strong gun laws. A number of otherwise law-abiding residents are resorting to having illegal guns to protect themselves. 

But since the killings are mostly blacks killing blacks, and because the mainstream media doesn't care to report it,  I suppose gun control proponents think that grim statistic is OK.

So definitely put in place stronger safety standards at gun shows. But dear Lord, let Illinois rethink the laws that are killing their own people.

Are you a fan of Huffington post? They have been doing a series on this.. here is the first...

So your disgusting unlinked article is incorrect and bigoted as usual..

Now...back to the OP or if you want to get into the big cities with high crimes stats we can do that as well...what do YOU think is the ROOT cause?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/us-shooting-deaths-sandy-hook_n_2348466.html

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

So definitely put in place stronger safety standards at gun shows. But good Lord, let the elected leaders in Illinois rethink the laws that are killing their own people.

Exactly the logic fails those of us with common sense.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM
4 moms liked this

Actually I didn't see anything in your Huff Post article about the 500+ shootings in Chicago. Why do you think that is the case? Possibly selective reporting? I'm not saying the other shootings are OK, I'm just addressing the elephant in the room.

So you think it is disgusting that 532 people were shot to death in Chicago in 2012, whether these people are black or white or purple? Me too - That's my point.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/report-532-murdered-chicago-2012_693417.html

http://crimeinchicago.blogspot.com/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-2012-homicide-toll-20121228,0,5456581.story

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

So definitely put in place stronger safety standards at gun shows. But dear Lord, let Illinois rethink the laws that are killing their own people.

Are you a fan of Huffington post? They have been doing a series on this.. here is the first...

Now...back to the OP or if you want to get into the big cities with high crimes stats we can do that as well...what do YOU think is the ROOT cause?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/us-shooting-deaths-sandy-hook_n_2348466.html

RLT2
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you really qualified to buy and/or sell guns, if you can't even tell when they're loaded?

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
4 moms liked this
And?

How many gun shows were held where not one single person was injured?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

OT, but LOVE the Palin picture.  Love.

trippyhippy
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Sorry but you are wrong. The main stream media is definitely covering it because I have read countless stories about it over the past 6 months. All from large news outlets.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM
It's the first is a series ...which I stated ...and they kept going beyond the 532

Quoting SallyMJ:

Actually I didn't see anything in your Huff Post article about the 500+ shootings in Chicago. Why do you think that is the case? Possibly selective reporting? I'm not saying the other shootings are OK, I'm just addressing the elephant in the room.

So you think it is disgusting that 532 people were shot to death in Chicago in 2012, whether these people are black or white or purple? Me too - That's my point.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/report-532-murdered-chicago-2012_693417.html

http://crimeinchicago.blogspot.com/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-2012-homicide-toll-20121228,0,5456581.story

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out the Chicago Tribune, dear. Much closer to the Chicago murders. You'll easily find what you are looking for. The Trib's article is dated mid-December, so it does not contain the final number, but 500 is pretty darn close to 532. 

Why don't the mainstream media choose to cover this tragedy? Possibly because Chicago has very strict gun control laws, supported by liberals/progressives - which are supported by most news media, who are also liberals/progressives. And President Obama is from Chicago. A rapidly increasing gun homicide rate in a liberal Democrat city, home of our Democrat president, despite strict gun laws, may prove embarrassing and something to bury (sadly, pun unintended).

Quoting trippyhippy:

Sorry but you are wrong. The main stream media is definitely covering it because I have read countless stories about it over the past 6 months. All from large news outlets.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)