Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

WHAT? WASHINGTON DC HAS THE HIGHEST MEDIAN INCOME IN U.S.?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

25 Jan 2013

Wealth in Washington, DC has surged to the highest median income in the United States, surpassing even tech mecca Silicon Valley, California. 

With a median household income of $119,134, the Census Bureau reports that Loudoun County, Virginia now occupies the number one spot for the highest median U.S. income. The number two position belongs to Fairfax County, Virginia at $105,797. Arlington, Virginia comes in third at $100,735.    

In fact, seven of the ten counties with the highest household incomes are in the Washington region.

These and other eye-opening facts are evidence of a new Washington “aristocracy” where wealth accumulation comes not from producing goods but from bloated government, said Government Accountability Institute President and Co-founder Peter Schweizer and Breitbart News Executive Chairman and GAI Co-Founder Stephen K. Bannon in a “Boomtown” one-hour Hannity special Friday night.

“America’s previous boomtowns became wealthy because they produced something,” said Schweizer. “This boomtown, its wealth comes from extracting it from the rest of the country. Boomtown is something that no one in Washington wants to talk about.”

Bannon agreed. “It’s not that money controls Washington, Washington controls the money,” said Bannon.  “It’s the great unreported story of our time right now.”

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Ironic - Our elected leaders and related industries take TAXPAYER MONEY to make themselves 1%-ers.

Brilliant.

Only my wallet is pretty empty these days, and I want my money back.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Quoting SallyMJ:

wealth accumulation comes not from producing goods but from bloated government,

That's one interpretation.

Another interpretation might be that the increased polarisation of politics has increased the urgency of lobbying, and the money pouring into the area is money being voluntarily sent there by various organisations who are intent on influencing politics.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Agreed. Pretty much the same thing.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Another interpretation might be that the increased polarisation of politics has increased the urgency of lobbying, and the money pouring into the area is money being voluntarily sent there by various organisations who are intent on influencing politics.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

BUMP!

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Ironic - Our elected leaders and related industries take TAXPAYER MONEY to make themselves 1%-ers.

Brilliant.

Taxpayer money or Lobbyist money? I'd bet more of the latter found it's way into individual pockets.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM
This was my first thought...
Lobbyists.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM

BOTH. 

But I seriously doubt it's $16.4 trillion of lobbyist money. But as the article says, I think the lobbyist money actually increases the cost of government.

Government and lobbyists should not be the highest paying industry, when they don't even create a product or service that increases the GDP.

The only industry that actually increases private sector unemployment.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Brilliant.

Taxpayer money or Lobbyist money? I'd bet more of the latter found it's way into individual pockets.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Washington DC is not in Loudon County, Fairfax or Arlington.

You have to remember the IT factor.  We are the IT corridor. Both private industry and government, and it's booming.  That's why we moved up here - I got a job offer a week before we even moved in the very worst of the recession.  Actually got two.

And the closer you get to the beltway and then in it (Fairfax and Arlington) the more expensive things get.  Housing costs are outrageous.  Loudon's actually cheaper; it's more of a suburb for the IT folks that work in and around Reston.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)