Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A message from Ruger

Posted by   + Show Post

Gun rights are under attack!

At Ruger, our motto is "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens." It is not just a slogan; it is genuine recognition that millions of law-abiding citizens use our firearms safely and responsibly every day. We are mechanics, doctors, teachers, police officers, firemen, nurses, factory workers, and every other occupation you can name. We are a vast and too-often silent majority... and our rights are under attack.

This is what I see when I log into my Ellett Brothers site.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Replies (41-50):
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Wait, you consider blatant stereotyping, generalizing, assuming, and a disregard for common sense due to a lack of actual information to be a "virtual bitch slap"?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Damn. I love virtual bitch slaps.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

What are you attempting to say here? That "democrats" or "liberals" commit more crimes in this country? Please, show me the unbiased research on this, because when I look at the crime statistics, I do not see anything to support your claim.

Here is what I do see: I see that the south and the Midwest have higher per capita crime rates than the west and the northeast. I also see that about 93% of the prison population are men, and 60% of the prison population are white. If I liked to make sweeping generalizations about groups of people based on stereotypes about white, southern men, I certainly could. Fortunately, I'm not like that, and I recognize that most people who live their lives by breaking the law and hurting others are probably not interested in politics and likely don't even vote. But again, if you have unbiased information to support your claim, I'd really like to see it.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

More insults because you can't win ok merit

Same script, different cast

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You could, but that would mean being honest...

Remember the Bush Jr. years, @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party]? 

Found on the @[240984512605919:274:Teanderthal Party] FB page.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

stir up the fear hate and anger for sales. Go get em - hope you can live with the karma you are reaping.

There's not a word they wrote that's at all inaccurate. 

The vast majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding people.  I wish I could make the same generalization about Liberals. 

Obviously, you're as ridiculously ignorant about the demographics of crime as you are every subject I've seen you comment on.

If  you knew anything about the demographics of crime you'd realize that it was a statement of reality.  Read the FBI's Uniform Report on Crime in the US.  Learn something...for a change. 

Check the FBI's Uniform Report on Crime in the US.  Each annual version has a section that shows the demographics of the population who are committing violent crimes.  You'll see some of the Democrats' main voter blocks prominently listed...prominently, as in 6 to 8 times more likely to commit a violent crime than Americans from other groups.

Also, check the demographics of our nation's prison system.  This really isn't "rocket science." 

The data you'll find isn't "politically correct."  But then, truth seldom is... 

By the way, if you actuallyread FBI crime and incarceration demgraphics statistics you couldn't have possibly come up with the numbers you posted above.  Those percentages you posted are way, way off.  If we're going to debate this subject let's not use "pretend" numbers.  And if we're going to talk about the demographics of inmates let's not pollute this debate with irrelevant facts...total prison population is not reflective of the violent crime statistics.  We're talking about violence here...not "white-collar crimes."  If we're going to argue about guns and violent crime, and use crime statistics and inmate demographics as a subject of discussion, let's keep our  numbers within the bounds of relevance.  This is about violence.  The numbers we should be talking about are the numbers that reflect violent crime and incarceration for violent crime.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5009270&page=1

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, just f&king

BRAVO. Clap clap clappity clap.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You also missed the well regulated part of the second amendment

Quoting Carpy:

Funny, I must have missed that amendment that said the right to keep and drive cars shall not be infringed.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I have to pass a test and keep renewing my license to drive, that isn't treating me like a criminal

If I have a physical disability that prevents me from safely operating said vehicle I cannot legally obtain a license. Same would go for the mentally ill with guns

Your gun rights are aleady restricted, you can no longer own a fully automatic machine gun...or a rocket launcher which is also classified as "arms"

You are mistaken in your analogy

A sex offender has to register where they would live ...in most places, that's already required ...so what's this again?

Quoting Farmlady09:

You want to treat law abiding citizens like sex offenders and make them pay for criminals and crazies who will keep right on with their criminal and crazy activity and bring up honesty? How's this for honest?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Remember the Bush Jr. years, @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party]? <br /><br />
<br /><br />

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

stir up the fear hate and anger for sales. Go get em - hope you can live with the karma you are reaping.

The vast majority of gun owners are responsible, law-abiding people.  I wish I could make the same generalization about Liberals. 

I am sufficiently well educated in the Constitution, the Federalist Papers, and in the person writings of our Founding Fathers to understand exactly what they meant by "militia," and by their admonishment that it be "well-regulated."   I'm also sufficiently well educated in the English language to know that the first half of the Second Amendment does nothing to qualify or modify the second half, and that the Second Amendment was intentionally written as the most strict prohibition against the use of any type of governmental power...federal, state, or local...used anywhere in the US Constitution or Bill of Rights. 

The word "regulated" is a recommendation that those American citizens who arm themselves also take actions to train their friends and neighbors in the effective use of those weapons.  There is absolutely nothing in the Federalist Papers, or the personal writings of the Founding Fathers that even hints at empowering or justifying governmental regulation of firearms, firearms accessories, ammunition, or any other associated weapons.  If you understood the reason for the British incursion into Concord, you'd know how sensitive and important issue "gun control" was for the Fouding Fathers.

If you'd studied your American History  you'd know that the Second Amendment was written specifically to address the Founding Fathers' concern that government might eventually become tyrannical, ignore the words of the Constitution, and that it might one day begin stripping the citizens of their rights.  The last thing they intended was to use the Second Amendment to empower the government at any level, in any way.  Any conclusion to the contrary is sophistry.

I have to say that you're pretty brazen with your ridulous, self-serving propadanda.  It takes some seriously tortured logic to say that the word, "regulated" as used the Second Amendment, indicates that the Founding Fathers actually intended for the government to regulate the militia, when the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment, specifically to arm the citizens to act against abuse of power by the federal government.  But then, if there's one thing you're actually good at, it's torturing logic.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM
She informed you correctly. Don't be dramatic about it.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Wait, you consider blatant stereotyping, generalizing, assuming, and a disregard for common sense due to a lack of actual information to be a "virtual bitch slap"?

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

What are you attempting to say here? That "democrats" or "liberals" commit more crimes in this country? Please, show me the unbiased research on this, because when I look at the crime statistics, I do not see anything to support your claim.

Here is what I do see: I see that the south and the Midwest have higher per capita crime rates than the west and the northeast. I also see that about 93% of the prison population are men, and 60% of the prison population are white. If I liked to make sweeping generalizations about groups of people based on stereotypes about white, southern men, I certainly could. Fortunately, I'm not like that, and I recognize that most people who live their lives by breaking the law and hurting others are probably not interested in politics and likely don't even vote. But again, if you have unbiased information to support your claim, I'd really like to see it.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Remember the Bush Jr. years, @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party]? 

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

Obviously, you're as ridiculously ignorant about the demographics of crime as you are every subject I've seen you comment on.

If  you knew anything about the demographics of crime you'd realize that it was a statement of reality.  Read the FBI's Uniform Report on Crime in the US.  Learn something...for a change. 

Check the FBI's Uniform Report on Crime in the US.  Each annual version has a section that shows the demographics of the population who are committing violent crimes.  You'll see some of the Democrats' main voter blocks prominently listed...prominently, as in 6 to 8 times more likely to commit a violent crime than Americans from other groups.

Also, check the demographics of our nation's prison system.  This really isn't "rocket science." 

By the way, if you actuallyread FBI crime and incarceration demgraphics statistics you couldn't have possibly come up with the numbers you posted above.  Those percentages you posted are way, way off.  If we're going to debate this subject let's not use "pretend" numbers.  And if we're going to talk about the demographics of inmates let's not pollute this debate with irrelevant facts...total prison population is not reflective of the violent crime statistics.  We're talking about violence here...not "white-collar crimes."  If we're going to argue about guns and violent crime, and use crime statistics and inmate demographics as a subject of discussion, let's keep our  numbers within the bounds of relevance.  This is about violence.  The numbers we should be talking about are the numbers that reflect violent crime and incarceration for violent crime.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM
But nobody is taking away anyone's 2nd amendment rights. I want my 2nd amendment rights too. I just recognize that background checks and a national gun registry that allows the ATF to track illegal guns to their sources does not take away my rights, because I am a law abiding citizen.

Even if certain guns or magazines are banned (which I do not support), I will still have my 2nd amendment rights to own a variety of other guns, many of which are just as dangerous as the so-called assault weapons mentioned in the ban. Sounds like there are plenty of options out there to defend ourselves with, if the need should arise. Honestly, I don't think the ban will happen anyway...I think it's just a negotiating chip to get other measures passed.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Each of the Bill of Rights clearly and specifically define protections for Americans to prevent a tyrannical government from taking hold. Freedom of speech and religion granted by the 1st amendment. The third keeps you free from the government forcing you to quarter troops. The fourth keeps the government from arbitrarily seizing your property while the 5th grants you the right to remain silent and not to self incriminate. The 6th insures a speedy and public trial to keep the government from simply disposing of malcontents. The 8th keeps the government from torturing you and the 9th and 10th close up any loopholes that government might try to use to get around all of the others in its zeal to punish us, seize our belongings and "get our minds right". All of these amendments were clearly written with a suspicious eye on a potentially menacing and despotic government. BUT YOU THINK THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT PROTECTS DUCK HUNTING?!?!?!?!?!?!
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I didn't even look at her stats, because they are not the point I'm trying to make. I asked for proof to support her claim that violent criminals are democrats, or prive they vote at all, and all she can give me is the racial make-up of the prison population.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Perhaps you should take a peek.

Quoting Erinelizz:

I didn't even look at her stats, because they are not the point I'm trying to make. I asked for proof to support her claim that violent criminals are democrats, or prive they vote at all, and all she can give me is the racial make-up of the prison population.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Clearly, we are trying to make different points then. Your information does not prove or disprove the point that you were trying to make. Now you're saying you were trying to prove a different point altogether. Sigh.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Did you even read my post?? I feel like you went to a lot of work for nothing. Begin with the sentence that says "Fortunately, I'm not like that..." and you'll see that unlike you, I don't presume to know anything about a person based on the color of their skin, nor do I believe that most violent criminals vote.

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Remember the Bush Jr. years, @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party]? <br />
<br />

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

I can see it's difficult for you to keep your emotions out of this.  But we're talking about federal reports and the demographics of violent crime.  I'm simply providing you with the information the federal government publishes. 

If you don't like what they publish, complain to your government.

And as a note of clarification, the point was not to determine or discuss how any group of felons tend to vote.  The point of the discussion was what is the type of household environment that is spawning most of America's violent felons.  Many of our most violent felons end up in prison long before their first opportunity to cast a ballot.  But if we can understand the parenting and the value system these thugs are being raised in we might be able to reduce violent crime, which is what I thought most of the contributors on this thread were interested in doing...

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM
What does "shall not be INFRINGED" mean to you?

Quoting Erinelizz:

But nobody is taking away anyone's 2nd amendment rights. I want my 2nd amendment rights too. I just recognize that background checks and a national gun registry that allows the ATF to track illegal guns to their sources does not take away my rights, because I am a law abiding citizen.

Even if certain guns or magazines are banned (which I do not support), I will still have my 2nd amendment rights to own a variety of other guns, many of which are just as dangerous as the so-called assault weapons mentioned in the ban. Sounds like there are plenty of options out there to defend ourselves with, if the need should arise. Honestly, I don't think the ban will happen anyway...I think it's just a negotiating chip to get other measures passed.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Each of the Bill of Rights clearly and specifically define protections for Americans to prevent a tyrannical government from taking hold. Freedom of speech and religion granted by the 1st amendment. The third keeps you free from the government forcing you to quarter troops. The fourth keeps the government from arbitrarily seizing your property while the 5th grants you the right to remain silent and not to self incriminate. The 6th insures a speedy and public trial to keep the government from simply disposing of malcontents. The 8th keeps the government from torturing you and the 9th and 10th close up any loopholes that government might try to use to get around all of the others in its zeal to punish us, seize our belongings and "get our minds right". All of these amendments were clearly written with a suspicious eye on a potentially menacing and despotic government. BUT YOU THINK THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT PROTECTS DUCK HUNTING?!?!?!?!?!?!
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Why? They are irrelevant to the discussion.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Perhaps you should take a peek.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting The-Raven:

Quoting mikiemom:

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM
To limit, undermine. If I can still own guns, my rights are not being limited or undermined. Having to fill out paperwork and prove I'm not psychotic does not limit or undermine my rights. I'm sorry if you think that limits yours.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

What does "shall not be INFRINGED" mean to you?

Quoting Erinelizz:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)