Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

sex offenders on illinois childcare payroll....thanks for finding the story mom in ohio

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

Sex Offenders On Illinois Childcare Payroll, Investigation Finds

First Posted: 08/30/11 03:23 PM ET Updated: 10/30/11 06:12 AM ET

Sex Offenders Babysitting
Sex offenders Cornelius Osborne (left) and Darron Walker (right) were allegedly paid thousands by the state to babysit, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The screening methods used to qualify babysitters for a state-run childcare subsidy program in Illinois were so inadequate that in several instances children were placed with registered sex offenders or individuals previously convicted of assault, drug and weapon possession crimes, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The Child Care Assistance Program, a $750 million-a-year service that provides babysitting services for more than 150,000 Illinois families, first came under scrutiny in 2008 after trends emerged in Cook County courtrooms where repeat offenders increasingly mentioned their babysitting jobs, according to the Associated Press. An investigation by the division’s policy analyst found that unlicensed babysitters--some 60,000 of the 70,000 care providers on the program’s payroll not required to be licensed if they are watching three or fewer unrelated children--were approved without full background checks, the Tribune reports.

These findings prompted legislation enacted in 2009 requiring stricter background checks for non-relative babysitters. But the scrutiny the new law required didn’t become practice for nearly 18 months, according to the Tribune. Meanwhile, 83 state-paid baby sitters were living at addresses where sex offenders were registered, including one registered sex offender who had already received almost $5,000 for child care services from the state, the Tribune reports.

Faults in the 14-year-old program's screening process stem from its reliance on applicants to self-report their criminal history accurately, the use of an incomplete database to screen applicants, and infrequent comparisons of registered baby sitters' addresses to sex offender lists, according to the Tribune. Information about parolees and other ex-offenders is even less readily available.

The state's Human Services department said it will explore how to do real-time checks of prison databases in response to the investigation's finding, the Tribune reports, though cross-referencing multiple data systems could be a challenge.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yikes!

sucker4myloves
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

And people wonder why I don't apply for daycare assistance. Yeah okay.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!

REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

blackwidow6161
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

i know RIGHT !!!!!!!

O M G ....WHAT THE HELL IS REALLY GOING ON WITH THE SYSTEM

THIS IS SOOOOO CRAZY ..

I WAS SOOOO LIVID WHEN I READ THAT HEAD LINE & I ONLY HAD A FEW $'S ON ME ...

BUT I BET I BOUGHT THAT PAPER & HAVE BEEN WRITING THE DEPT OF HUMAN SERVICES A FEW TIMES ( GONE UNANSWERED )  NO DOUBT   :{

THEN I ADDRESSED IT WITH THE ALDERMANS OFFICE ( FOR A FOLLOW UP ) ON WHAT IS BEING DONE TO FIX THIS ATROCITIE...

AGAIN NO ANSWER THERE EITHER.... W T FRIGGIN HELL IS THAT ABOUT   

LISA ~

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Are ya fuckin' kidding me?? jaw dropblank stare

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

"14-year-old program's screening process stem from its reliance on applicants to self-report their criminal history accurately,"

blank stare

14 years old??? WHO in their right mind thought it was a GOOD idea to allow CRIMINALS....CHILD PREDITORS, SEX OFFENDERS to use the "honor system" of saying:

"yup, I'm here...and I can't and shouldn't be around children"...

WTF???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)