Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Not “Racist” To Disagree With Obama

Posted by   + Show Post

Angie Harmon

Actress Angie Harmon has caused liberals to whine by standing up her politically-correct peers in Hollywood and declaring that it is not “racist” to disagree with the policies of Barack Obama.

“Here’s my problem with this, I’m just going to come out and say it,” Harmon told reporters at a recent event. “If I have anything to say against Obama it’s not because I’m a racist, it’s because I don’t like what he’s doing as President and anybody should be able to feel that way, but what I find now is that if you say anything against him you’re called a racist.”

“But it has nothing to do with it, I don’t care what color he is. I’m just not crazy about what he’s doing and I heard all about this, and he’s gonna do that and change and change, so okay … I’m still dressing for a recession over here buddy and we’ve got unemployment at an all-time high and that was his number one thing and that’s the thing I really don’t appreciate. If I’m going to disagree with my President, that doesn’t make me a racist. If I was to disagree with Bush or Clinton, that doesn’t make me racist. It has nothing to do with it, it is ridiculous.”

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
Pema_Jampa
Today at 2:54 PM
Rachel Platten - Fight Song (Official Lyric Video)

"Fight Song" is now available on iTunes! Download it here: http://smarturl.it/fightsong Don't forget to share and subscribe for more music! Check out my soci...

by 2HotTacoTini on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you serious? Are you a woman?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry! Is that your real name? I assumed it was a user name. :)

So you really are a Girl (Woman) Friday?

Quoting Friday:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I agree.

Except it ain't Friday yet!  :)

Quoting Friday:

I agree with her. Just like it wasn't treason to disagree with Dubya.

I'm always Friday and please don't call me 'it'.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry! Is that your real name? I assumed it was a user name. :)

So you really are a Girl (Woman) Friday?

Quoting Friday:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I agree.

Except it ain't Friday yet!  :)

Quoting Friday:

I agree with her. Just like it wasn't treason to disagree with Dubya.

I'm always Friday and please don't call me 'it'.

No but it's been my nickname since 10th grade.

When I was in college I was a Horse Science major and the director of the program had a terrible time pronouncing my name so I told him to just call me Friday. I did end up working as a teachers aid for some of his riding classes and he did call me his girl Friday. It was also my camp name when I taught horseback riding at Girl Scout camp, none of the staff used our real names.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

mikiemom
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

this, tshirts that say - put the white back in the white house and tshirts with racist images of witchdoctors show racism, that goes beyond disagreeing with his policies. I've seen ladies on this board put some very disturbing pictures of the first family up and call it satire - it's disgusting racism. Sallymj you have been guilty of this. you disagree with with obama and your are a racist one doesn't indicate the other but they are not mutually exclusive for all of you.

Quoting rccmom:

Of course it doesn't, and agreeing with him doesn't mean you are not a racist. However, seeing how this Preseident has been commented on and treated has let me realize the are still quite a few racist people out there. 

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Lol, I did want to punch him (verbally, of course). My husband saw how mad I was and took care of it.  Normally I would say something, but it was Thanksgiving! 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Intolerance in any form pisses me off. If someone in my family said that, I would want to punch them. Verbally.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Sorry for the confusion.

And no, I definitely don't think that disagreeing with the president's policies makes someone a racist. I know what my brother in law said was clearly racist, and very different from what the writer of the article was talking about. I just had to get it off my chest; It's been bugging me for a while! It's sad to know racism still exists, especially that close to home.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Yes, absolutely. He said racist things. (Sorry, didn't know what BIL was. I have a brother named Bill.) :)

Very different from disagreeing with Obama's ideas - who are most of the people this "racist" epithet is being falsely hurled at.

I believe  with you in calling a racist a racist. Just not people who are not.

Quoting Erinelizz:

My brother in law (BIL) said those words, referring to Obama, at the Thanksgiving dinner table in front of my kids. Does that count as being racist?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Huh?

Quoting Erinelizz:

Is it okay for me to call my BIL a racist when he says "I'm not listening to a thing that n****r says, he should be plowing my fields."?????

LIMom1105
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no proof, but I would say the birther movement is racially motivated at it's core. Some may have questioned his birth certificate out of genuine concern awhile ago, but I really wonder about those who still question it after he released the long form. Which no sitting President has ever been asked to release, or none in recent memory anyway.

Also a lot of the Kenya cracks and shukkin and jivin (sorry I don't think I spelled that correctly). You can't tell me that's not racist.

But to disagree with Obama, no that in and of itself is  not racist.

Quoting SallyMJ:

In what way?

This is the whole point. Obama and supporters claim that disagreement with him by the opposite party = racism. It doesn't. You even admit that. How can you say then that you think it is racist? Those are opposite positions.

Quoting rccmom:

Of course it doesn't, and agreeing with him doesn't mean you are not a racist. However, seeing how this Preseident has been commented on and treated has let me realize the are still quite a few racist people out there. 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I am sorry that I simply can't take one person's side of the story--in this case, you relating conversations you've had with others, both personal and with public figures (really?)--as the definite truth without hearing the side of the other person(s) in the story whom you say called you racist only and solely because you disagreed with Obama.   This is true regardless of the political persuasion of anybody involved, which has made me unpopular in the past even with people who agree politically with me more often than not.  (Being friends with both halves of a divorcing couple more than once will give a person this particular brand of wariness about how different two stories of a supposedly identical argument that occurred between two people can be.)

However, if it's as common as you say, surely the Internet abounds with examples that you could point me toward?  I have not ever seen an example of someone being called a racist only and solely because they disagree with Obama, and Googling that statement gets me nowhere either--no quotes, no transcripts, no videos of this ever happening.  Can you find something that's not simply person-1-said-person-2-said?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Do you listen to or read the news? It's been ubiquitous for 5 years. If you've missed it, maybe you've been busy and haven't paid attention, probably because it was not directed at you. But we need to be aware of the evil some of our fellow citizens are doing to some of our other fellow citizens are experiencing in order to call it out - as you know.

About half the country and I have personally been called a racist many times in the past 5 years, personally and by public figures - simply because I disagree with Obama. Many public figures have made these false statements. Unfairly and falsely.

That is the point of this post. So what do you say about what some of your fellow citizens are falsely saying about others? I call out the crazies in my own party. Do you? Or do you agree with them?

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I think to get any meaningful answer to this at all, you are going to (a) have to find a liberal who has (b) called someone racist solely and only because that someone disagreed with something Barack Obama said or did.  Good luck with that. :)  Actually, if you do find this creature, do share because I want to know who it is. (Should be noted that I am not a liberal nor have I ever called anyone racist solely and only because he or she disagreed with Obama, so it's no good asking me.)

Quoting SallyMJ:

I have always been very curious that liberals accuse people of racism for:

- Disagreeing with Obama

- Disagreeing with anyone who is black, who is a liberal / progressive

- Agreeing with anyone who is a black conservative

- Supporting small government and a balanced budget

- Being conservative - no matter my ethnicity

- Using the following words and phrases: Chicago, small government, cut spending, decrease taxes, liberty, the Constitution, fiscal responsibility, structural reform of entitlements, welfare requiring able bodied citizens to return to work in 5 years, church, religion, Christian, black market, black hole, black mark, blackout, staying in the black, black box, blacksmith, black licorice, little black book, blackstrap molasses, fade to black. (well maybe not those last six ones).  :)

But, seriously, liberals / progressives say it is impossible for them to be racist, for blacks and other minorities to be racist, that using these "dog whistle" words above are OK for them and not for us, and even the N word and the other N word are OK for them to use about black conservatives. It's crazy!

Libs - Why the discrepancy? Why the double standard? Aren't we all subject to the same laws, the same expectations? Don't we all have freedom of speech and the right to have our own opinion? Is it "Do as I say, and not as I do"? This is so confusing and infuriating and ironic. The people who claim to be the most tolerant and openminded of all turn out in actuality to be the most intolerant and bigoted of all. Why is that?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

BUMP!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:45 PM

So what did your hubby do? Talk to him, I imagine?

Quoting Erinelizz:

Lol, I did want to punch him (verbally, of course). My husband saw how mad I was and took care of it.  Normally I would say something, but it was Thanksgiving! 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Intolerance in any form pisses me off. If someone in my family said that, I would want to punch them. Verbally.

Quoting Erinelizz:

Sorry for the confusion.

And no, I definitely don't think that disagreeing with the president's policies makes someone a racist. I know what my brother in law said was clearly racist, and very different from what the writer of the article was talking about. I just had to get it off my chest; It's been bugging me for a while! It's sad to know racism still exists, especially that close to home.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Yes, absolutely. He said racist things. (Sorry, didn't know what BIL was. I have a brother named Bill.) :)

Very different from disagreeing with Obama's ideas - who are most of the people this "racist" epithet is being falsely hurled at.

I believe  with you in calling a racist a racist. Just not people who are not.

Quoting Erinelizz:

My brother in law (BIL) said those words, referring to Obama, at the Thanksgiving dinner table in front of my kids. Does that count as being racist?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Huh?

Quoting Erinelizz:

Is it okay for me to call my BIL a racist when he says "I'm not listening to a thing that n****r says, he should be plowing my fields."?????

Citygirlk
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Really she's the only one?! I can name at least five people on cm who've said that about him.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Negative.

Obama was very slow on providing his birth certificate to the American people. I think 2011? He purportrated his own rumors.

McCain's citizenship was also questioned, because he was born in Panama. He provided information to clear that up, being the son of American diplomats.

And Obama admitted to being raised Muslim.

None of those are racist.

You are the only person I've heard mention anything about being a "secret terrorist", so that's your own issue.

Quoting PamR:

Of course you can disagree with him and not be a racist.

It's when you question whether or not he's an American citizen/secret Muslim/terrorist in disguise, that you might have formed these opinions based on racism.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I know many people joke about the Kenya thing. It's basically a satirical joke. Even Leno and many comedians do. Kind of like how SNL always makes fun of every president. Harmless.

Re: the BC, he released it in 2011, instead of 2007 or 2008. Way, way late. 

I kept expecting it to have baby footprints on it. Mine does. He made it a WAY bigger deal than he needed to by not just addressing it completely from the beginning. The first one was off - words were misspelled, etc. So why wait SO LONG to release the regular one? He brought it upon himself. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Quoting LIMom1105:

I have no proof, but I would say the birther movement is racially motivated at it's core. Some may have questioned his birth certificate out of genuine concern awhile ago, but I really wonder about those who still question it after he released the long form. Which no sitting President has ever been asked to release, or none in recent memory anyway.

Also a lot of the Kenya cracks and shukkin and jivin (sorry I don't think I spelled that correctly). You can't tell me that's not racist.

But to disagree with Obama, no that in and of itself is  not racist.

Quoting SallyMJ:

In what way?

This is the whole point. Obama and supporters claim that disagreement with him by the opposite party = racism. It doesn't. You even admit that. How can you say then that you think it is racist? Those are opposite positions.

Quoting rccmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)