Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Not “Racist” To Disagree With Obama

Posted by   + Show Post

Angie Harmon

Actress Angie Harmon has caused liberals to whine by standing up her politically-correct peers in Hollywood and declaring that it is not “racist” to disagree with the policies of Barack Obama.

“Here’s my problem with this, I’m just going to come out and say it,” Harmon told reporters at a recent event. “If I have anything to say against Obama it’s not because I’m a racist, it’s because I don’t like what he’s doing as President and anybody should be able to feel that way, but what I find now is that if you say anything against him you’re called a racist.”

“But it has nothing to do with it, I don’t care what color he is. I’m just not crazy about what he’s doing and I heard all about this, and he’s gonna do that and change and change, so okay … I’m still dressing for a recession over here buddy and we’ve got unemployment at an all-time high and that was his number one thing and that’s the thing I really don’t appreciate. If I’m going to disagree with my President, that doesn’t make me a racist. If I was to disagree with Bush or Clinton, that doesn’t make me racist. It has nothing to do with it, it is ridiculous.”

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
deepthinker
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Denisethedaring:

I should note--I'm a fiscal conservative who has loudly complained about specific Obama activities and attitudes and have been as a result called all sorts of nasty things by at least one specific liberal writer/blogger I can think of, yet the one thing she never did call me was racist.  Apparently using words and phrases like small government. limiting welfare, cutting entitlement programs, welfare reform, very disappointed in Obama's actions on X Y and Z, isn't enough to get a die-hard liberal to call me racist.  (It is enough to get me accused of wanting children to starve to death, though--I quote.) So what am I not saying to have that accusation thrown at me..?

I can agree with this, I have been in many political debates, and never once has it crossed my mind to call someone racist who solely disagreed with Obama's policies.  When a person can articulate why they dislike X, Y, Z.  Then they are thinking of what they do and don't agree with, how those policies effect them, and not the person themselves.  I have on the other hand had debates (more like arguments) with those who dislike Obama, but have very little knowledge of what he has implemented, what he hasn't, his views on particular things, etc.  I've even come across those who actually in essence agree with his policies by what they talk about, but still hate him. Even sometimes I am being accused of liking Obama, solely because we share the same skin color as if having the same skin color makes me oblivious to what policies are on the table. I think sometimes people don't realize that what they say or speak on which is born of their subconscious tells a lot more then what they realize.  I think everyone has a level of prejudice, but I think when your prejudice starts to overtake your logic and ability to reason, then their true colors are coming out.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I was accused in this group last week of not liking Barry because of his skin color.

As if, it's his skin color alone qualifies him for the office he holds.

It does not. IMHO, he's no more qualified for the Office of President of the United States than I am.

deepthinker
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I was accused in this group last week of not liking Barry because of his skin color.

It does not. IMHO, he's no more qualified for the Office of President of the United States than I am.

This is what I meant by a  person's subconscious reveals more then they realize.

"As if, it's his skin color alone qualifies him for the office he holds."

Why is his skin color even a thought when it come to if he qualifies or disqualifies from holding office?

Why is he not qualified to hold office in your opinon?

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

This is what I meant by a  person's subconscious reveals more then they realize.

Why is his skin color even a thought when it come to if he qualifies or disqualifies from holding office?

I don't feel he has the experience necessary to hold the office. His only gov't experience was 144 days as a senator. A comment he himself made before he ran the 1st time..."I  don't have enough experience"..then he said something about wanting to do more for the people of Illinios.

That comment doesn't reveal anything about my "subconscious"...I've been accused of not liking him because of his color, as a SOLE reason for NOT liking him, it brings to the table that the only reason I should like him is because of his color.

I didn't think Bush, or Palin were qualified for their offices either(potiental office)...does that make me a white racist or anti-women?

deepthinker
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I don't feel he has the experience necessary to hold the office. His only gov't experience was 144 days as a senator. A comment he himself made before he ran the 1st time..."I  don't have enough experience"..then he said something about wanting to do more for the people of Illinios.

That comment doesn't reveal anything about my "subconscious"...I've been accused of not liking him because of his color, as a SOLE reason for NOT liking him, it brings to the table that the only reason I should like him is because of his color.

I didn't think Bush, or Palin were qualified for their offices either(potiental office)...does that make me a white racist or anti-women?

Obama was a senator for nearly four years, and Obama had Written a total of 890 Bills and Co-sponsored Another 1096 over the course of his time in the senate.

And being accused of not liking him because of race,  does not bring forth the ideology that you should only like him because of race. That's a straw man argument.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Obama was a senator for nearly four years, and Obama had Written a total of 890 Bills and Co-sponsored Another 1096 over the course of his time in the senate.

And being accused of not liking him because of race,  does not bring forth the ideology that you should only like him because of race. That's a straw man argument.

When someone cites it as the ONLY reason I don't like him..IMHO, it does.

You disagree, and I respect that.

Basherte
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM

When will we all become color blind?

I can not wait for this revelation. I'm serious. 

It shouldn't matter what color our skin is, or what color our hair, eyes are. It shouldn't even matter if we are male, female, or anything else. What should matter is how we treat others, how we treat ourselves. How we live our lives. 

Denisethedaring
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Really?  Do you have degrees in law and political science and taught constitutional law at the university level for more than 12 years, after which you held elected public office for more than 12 years?  If so, I agree, Obama is no more qualified for the office of President of the United States than you are...if not, though, I'm wondering what you're basing that thought on.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Denisethedaring
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I don't know if we ever will be.  We should be; I personally make a continuous and concerted effort to be, but I know even in spite of that--even in spite of the fact that I'm a quarter non-white and I've always known I was--I still have knee-jerk racist reflexes.  :(  I don't want them and I don't act on them but I know they're there.  I think part of it's evolutionary--the fear of the "different" and the "unknown," the feeling that those things are a threat to the "us," is definitely ingrained, culturally if not actually biologically.  I tend to think that the greatest hope for the end of racism is the end of race--maybe 500 years from now America will be so racially homogeneous we'll have to come up with something else to fear about each other.

Quoting Basherte:

When will we all become color blind?

I can not wait for this revelation. I'm serious. 

It shouldn't matter what color our skin is, or what color our hair, eyes are. It shouldn't even matter if we are male, female, or anything else. What should matter is how we treat others, how we treat ourselves. How we live our lives. 

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SallyMJ:

"if you say anything against him you’re called a racist.”

No doubt there are some people who will say that; either because they believe it, or because they believe that saying it will reduce how many people voice disagreement with President Obama, and that's what they want to achieve.

Despite being vocal, I don't think such people are a significant fraction, any more than the people who say that ALL taxation is theft are worth bothering about.

I don't think that's a useful definition of "racist".

Now, no doubt there are people out there who are racist, and who do oppose President Obama because of that:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/13/harvard-google-search-study-suggests-racism-had-profound-affect-on-2008-election/

but identifying which people those are is difficult, unless they give themselves away by HOW they oppose him or on WHAT they oppose him over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN