Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Outrageous: How the Media Lied about Newtown ‘hecklers’

Posted by   + Show Post

Posted at 2:07 pm on January 29, 2013 by Twitchy Staff | View Comments

National and international media are up in arms today over the story of Neil Heslin, father of slain Sandy Hook student Jesse Lewis, being heckled yesterday during a Connecticut legislative meeting. During his testimony, in which he called for stricter gun control measures, Heslin was reportedly interrupted by shouts from Second Amendment activists:

“The Second Amendment!” was shouted a couple of times by as many as a dozen gun enthusiasts in the meeting room as Neil Heslin, holding a photo of his slain 6-year-old son, Jesse Lewis, asked why Bushmaster assault-style weapons are allowed to be sold in the state.

Except no. Not really. MSNBC is propping up its story with a blatantly edited video. In fact, Heslin was not heckled. Gun rights advocates in the audience indeed voiced their support for the Second Amendment — after he asked why anyone would need “assault-style weapons or high-capacity clips.” You’d never know based on the MSNBC version, which completely cut out the footage of Heslin’s question.

Fortunately, Twitchy has obtained the full, unedited video, which you can view for yourself below (relevant portion starts at the 15-minute mark):

Transcript:

“I ask if there’s anybody in this room that can give me one reason or challenge this question … why anybody in this room needs to have one of these assault-style weapons or military weapons or high-capacity clips. [Pause, waiting for response.]  Not one person can answer that question.”

Audience members:  ”[Unintelligible] Second Amendment shall not be infringed” (audience members did not have a microphone, so had to speak up).

Public official: “Please no comments while Mr. Heslin is speaking. Or we’ll clear the room. Mr. Heslin please continue.”

Heslin waited for a response. And when he got that response, it wasn’t Heslin who registered outrage — it was the media.

Let’s be clear: this wasn’t about having compassion for a man who tragically lost his son; this was strictly about pushing a political agenda. Out of more than 17 minutes of footage, the kneejerk media focused exclusively on the non-existent “heckling.” Not on Heslin’s plea for a change in gun control policy. Not on his sorrow over never being able to spend another moment with his beloved son and “best friend.” To the media, this was nothing more than a chance to exploit one man’s raw emotions in order to gin up outrage.

And it’s utterly despicable.

http://twitchy.com/2013/01/29/outrageous-how-the-left-wing-media-lied-about-newtown-hecklers/?utm_source=autotweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
LuvmyAiden
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

More blatant lies from the mainstream propaganda machine because most are too lazy or stupid to think for themselves. What a surprise!

broncfan
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I am so tired of hearing "why does anyone need one" regarding firearms.  Why does anybody need alcohol?  It kills more people everyday than guns do in a month or even a year.  I fear a drunk driver than I do a guy with a semi, and I fear someone coming in my house and killing my kids more than I do them being in a school shooting situation.

People want guns to feel safe, my idea of safe is different than other people's idea of safe, but who am I to tell them they are wrong and who are they to tell me I am wrong.

This country is so screwed up.

LIMom1105
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM
ITA. It's about having respect for a grieving parent. People who feel their 2nd amendment rights are being infringed can and should speak out, but how was it necessary to shout over him?

SMH. Human decency was lacking here.

Quoting shannonnigans:

It's funny how Heslin himself felt he was mistreated long before MSNBC or the AP ran the story. He probably wasn't looking for a pro gun rallying cry while still grieving for his son who as he described "has a hole in his forehead." Seriously, there is a time to just shut the hell up, but these people haven't one ounce of sympathy. Their need to have an AR15 is much more important to them than childrens' lives and I'd actually respect them more if they just dropped the charade and came out and said it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter

Fox???

NBC and Trayvon Martin ring a bell????  Like the part where the 911 operator asked a question and it somehow got edited out by magic????

The gun mfg sure love this debate though.  They love it all the way to the bank as gun sales are up.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Zero facts were changed

The man was heckled

Fox is the channel that edits to tell lies

Quoting 29again:

PMSNBC got caught AGAIN??  This is at least the third time they have been caught red-handed trying to completely change the facts, without realizing that others have those facts too.  They are complete morons over there...  they have to be, to do something so totally stupid!!  No wonder their ratings are in the crawl space, with the creepie-crawlies.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Yes, FOX

http://news.spreadit.org/fox-news-caught-faking-footage/

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7iNvVAlRIToA8bxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1ODE1azNrBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDOARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA1NNRTE4MV8yMzI-/SIG=11tc2hqq3/EXP=1359594735/**http%3a//mediamatters.org/blog/200911180046

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgOkuI9gBLQ

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1704582

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7iO7VAlRwSgAgLhXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2bGt2OGY2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTQEY29sbwNhYzIEdnRpZANTTUUxODFfMjMy/SIG=13h6fm713/EXP=1359594811/**http%3a//www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/8zgxl/fox_news_and_sean_hannity_caught_selectively/

Quoting erika9009:

sidesplittinglaughter

Fox???

NBC and Trayvon Martin ring a bell????  Like the part where the 911 operator asked a question and it somehow got edited out by magic????

The gun mfg sure love this debate though.  They love it all the way to the bank as gun sales are up.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Zero facts were changed

The man was heckled

Fox is the channel that edits to tell lies

Quoting 29again:

PMSNBC got caught AGAIN??  This is at least the third time they have been caught red-handed trying to completely change the facts, without realizing that others have those facts too.  They are complete morons over there...  they have to be, to do something so totally stupid!!  No wonder their ratings are in the crawl space, with the creepie-crawlies.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

If it could happen at a school, it could also happen at a birthday party in someone's home.

However, gun-free zones do make children more of sitting ducks than anywhere else, because a potential shooter is assured that there will be no armed opposition.  Whether it could be handguns or AR15s or something else in the school, the uncertainty of whether they are there can be enough to make someone think twice.

Supposedly gun restrictions in Europe do help to curtail shootings in some countries, but we still have them. 

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Wow.

Just wow.

Are you suggesting that if there hadn't been a gun-free zone at the school that the teachers would have been free to carry their AR-15's to school?

You're in Europe, right? What is gun violence like there? Gun laws?

Quoting Meadowchik:

Why would someone need one? Perhaps to stop an intruder from gunning down 20 babies! 

The only person with guns at Sandy Hook was the shooter, because it was a gun-free zone, and none were assault rifles.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I strongly disagree. In cases like Sandy Hook, it matters greatly. You are correct to refer to gang-riddled South Central L.A., because those are the types of shootings that occur more frequently. You can bet if I lived in a place like that, I would want to be able to defend myself.

Quoting shannonnigans:

About that gun free zone nonsense. Criminals do not give a crap about this and I seriously doubt even know what it is. "I'm going to shoot some people tonight, but first let me go on google and map out gun free zones."
Give me a break. Look at South Central LA. Hardly a gun free zone; more like the Old West. Guns are everywhere - doesn't matter. Nobody is deterred by the fact that the other guys have guns. Means nothing.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Why would someone need one? Perhaps to stop an intruder from gunning down 20 babies! 

The only person with guns at Sandy Hook was the shooter, because it was a gun-free zone, and none were assault rifles.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting shannonnigans:

My response was much more an attack on the time/place of these remarks and an indictment on the lack of empathy of some of these people.

But as far as the invasion of US shores, from where?! Who?! How do "they" get here undetected? Ship? Plane? We have this thing called radar. Ten guys in a Sea Ray? What would even be the point? You'd get more mileage out of a terrorist cell.

I'm sorry, but of all the reasons you could give me for AR15s, foreign invasion is not exactly up there.

The principle is sound.  Citizens must have the right to bear arms to defend themselves, either to be militia-ready or for individual defense.  You may not see the reasons at this point in time, but the laws we make now will affect the future, where conditions and readiness can change.  One could argue that one major reason a ground invasion has not been attempted on US soil in living memory is because of the Second Amendment.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Twitchy - your most reliable source for news.

heck·le  

/ˈhekəl/
Verb

Interrupt (a public speaker) with derisive or aggressive comments or abuse.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I do believe they edited the film (like every other MSM channel does)...

But I also believe, IMO, the man was heckled
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)