Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

CNN Journalist Erin Burnett Does Her Job, Calls Obama Out on ‘Skeet-Shooting'

Posted by   + Show Post

Newsflash: CNN Journalist Erin Burnett Does Her Job, Calls Obama Out on ‘Skeet-Shooting'

KYLE BECKER JANUARY 29, 2013 12:38 PM

Jonathan Seidl of The Blaze made an amusing comment about such skeet-shooting conspiracy 

Ahh journalism. It may not be the most important bone of contention, but the president recently implied he is a ‘skeet shooter.' It is well-known that he is not a big fan of Camp David and is a rather avid golfer. Not to mention that it is difficult imagining the president shooting a rifle, say, more accurately than he bowls or throws a baseball. So one wonders if the president was merely shooting off his mouth.

President Obama's bizarre claim occasioned a feisty retort from Erin Burnett of CNN. During a segment that aired on the network Monday night, Burnett questioned the president's skeet-shooting claim, which she found dubious.

"Obama the skeet shooter," she said. "Yeah, I'm not making this up. I mean, if someone is, it isn't me."

She played a clip of CNN's Jessica Yellin asking Press Secretary Jay Carney to produce a picture of the president shooting clay pigeons. Of course, the picture has not been photoshopped - yet.

Jonathan Seidl of The Blaze made an amusing comment about such skeet-shooting conspiracy theorists:

If there are truthers and birthers, should there now be a new term for those who are doubting President Obama's claim that he goes skeet shooting "all the time"? And should that term be "skeeters"? If so, count CNN's rising young star Erin Burnett among the gadflies.

This is not the first-time the CNBC defector has launched into the president. On a more important issue, Burnett took the president to task for his warmed-over jobs plan, which was unveiled weeks before the November election.

CNN has its ups and downs, but on most issues it's not as slyly partisan as the broadcast networks. It is without a doubt a more critical source than the virtual laughing stock of cable news - MSNBC.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM

lol..it was a JOKE ,,,New Republic did NOT make the photo

New Republic falls for fake picture of Obama skeet shooting on parody site

The liberal New Republic magazine, eager to prove that President Obama participates in skeet shooting even if Jay Carney can't corroborate it, tweeted a picture of Obama appearing to hold a shotgun while at Camp David on Tuesday. Shortly after tweeting it, the New Republic deleted it.

The reason? The photo was fake, and came from a parody website called whitehouse.gov1.info.

The site clearly says, "not the White House" on the top of the page, with the banner, "parody of whitehouse.gov."

"Nope, this is not the official website of The White House. It's a parody of whitehouse.gov," the page says at the bottom. "No person, department, or agency of the U.S. Government approved, endorsed, or authorized this site. No animals were harmed while making this website (except maybe that one time when I was a little late feeding my dog his dinner)."

Within minutes of tweeting the picture, the New Republic deleted it, the Weekly Standard said.

"OK, everyone. Apologies. Twitter sometimes leads to quick accidents," the magazine tweeted.

Jim Hoft of the Gateway Pundit said the president's image actually came from an old golf photo.

"Nice try, libs," Hoft wrote.

When asked by the publication if he had ever shot a gun, Obama replied: "In fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time."

"He does go to Camp David with some regularity, but I'm not sure how often he’s done that," Carney told reporters Monday.

On Tuesday, the Washington Times said that Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) questioned the claim and issued a challenge.

“If he’s a skeet shooter, why have we not heard of this? Why have we not seen photos? Why hasn’t he referenced this at any point in time?” she asked.

“I think he should invite me to Camp David, and I’ll go skeet shooting with him and I bet I’ll beat him,” she said.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Why are you pretending to know what he does on vacation?

Quoting SallyMJ:

I'd like to see that competition. Any guess who would win? Any bets as to whether it happens?

Obama did say "We do that [skeet shooting] all the time" which could mean some in the group. But it was said in a way that included himself in that group.

He could have said, "Some of the people in our group do that all the time".

So why try to make people believe that he personally skeet shoots? Maybe to make it seem as if he is a sports gunner, has experience with guns, understands what gun advocates think, during this time of national gun laws?

Oh, I don't know. I sure get tired of this.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

can you link the website you got the pic? I don't see it on New Republic

Quoting toomanypoodles:

It was on FB--that's all I've got, sorry. 

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Now that is a photoshopping piece of art! HAHAHAHA!

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Indeed.  I don't have any story behind it, but thought the picture was priceless. 

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
It was a satire piece not done by the New Republic

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Indeed.  I don't have any story behind it, but thought the picture was priceless. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It was a satire piece not done by the New Republic

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Obvious satire.  lol

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Does Obama even know what skeet shooting is?

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh good, you rushed to his defense, I was worried.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This is what the big deal is about?

Obama professed his sweetness for skeet shooting during an interview posted online Sunday with The New Republic, when asked if he had ever fired a gun.

"Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," Obama said. "Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake."

His comments were met with surprise by many, including skeptical lawmakers who challenged the president to a skeet shooting match. The press, too, tried to squeeze more details out of White House spokesman Jay Carney.

"I'm not sure how often he's done that," said Carney, who said no photos of the president skeet shooting had been released "because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs."

"There may be (a photo)," he said, "but I haven't seen it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/30/obama-keet-shooting-all-time-hardly-sources-say/#ixzz2JUgOtr1W

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Where is the defense? there is nothing that needs defending.

The right wing nuts are making crap up...again..shocker

Quoting Billiejeens:

Oh good, you rushed to his defense, I was worried.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This is what the big deal is about?

Obama professed his sweetness for skeet shooting during an interview posted online Sunday with The New Republic, when asked if he had ever fired a gun.

"Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time," Obama said. "Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake."

His comments were met with surprise by many, including skeptical lawmakers who challenged the president to a skeet shooting match. The press, too, tried to squeeze more details out of White House spokesman Jay Carney.

"I'm not sure how often he's done that," said Carney, who said no photos of the president skeet shooting had been released "because when he goes to Camp David, he goes to spend time with his family and friends and relax, not to produce photographs."

"There may be (a photo)," he said, "but I haven't seen it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/30/obama-keet-shooting-all-time-hardly-sources-say/#ixzz2JUgOtr1W

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)