Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dems and Reps, Differences Both Good and Bad, and Our Divided Culture

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

An interesting video.  Haidt discusses the documented differences--statistically-speaking, between Republicans and Democrats in America.  He says he was previously a Dem, but is now centrist.  He goes into how anyone can have the tendency to be blind to opposing arguments and evidence, and the validity of left and right core beliefs, and why the public discourse is so poisoned.

Let me know if you watch all 47 minutes, tell me what you think!

:)

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Bump to watch later.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I also want to check it out - here's another bump.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well posting false propaganda say about the murder of 20 children for a political purpose and not admitting it's false even after proof is given

yea...probably doesn't help, right OP?

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

NBC was my source, and it was posted in good faith, and I retracted the OP as soon as I realized it and could do so. I didn't only read your link, I went digging deeper, as I wouldn't want to retract a retraction.

How about you watch the video?  Ironically, it talks about how the internet makes it easy for people to look up something, and instantly see sources backing up what they input.  I am seeing this more and more, and honestly, it is frustrating.  I have no intention of basing my claims on false information. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Well posting false propaganda say about the murder of 20 children for a political purpose and not admitting it's false even after proof is given

Debrowsky
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

That's cause you're a smart chick.   I have a lot of trust in what you find and post.

Quoting Meadowchik:

NBC was my source, and it was posted in good faith, and I retracted the OP as soon as I realized it and could do so. I didn't only read your link, I went digging deeper, as I wouldn't want to retract a retraction.

How about you watch the video?  Ironically, it talks about how the internet makes it easy for people to look up something, and instantly see sources backing up what they input.  I am seeing this more and more, and honestly, it is frustrating.  I have no intention of basing my claims on false information. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I watched all 47 minutes, in bits and pieces, but all of it. It was very interesting and I agree with a lot of what he said. I found it enlightening about Conservatives and the concept of Karma. That explains a lot. I agree that Democrats do a lousy job on articulating their position on capitalism. 

Mostly, I really like what he said about demonizing the other side, and how we have been grouped into clusters that only reinforce what an iindividual already believes. I think that is a real, and serious problem. He mentioned that we need personal interaction with people we trust, and that have different opinions. In that way, we can start to understand other positions.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Thank you, Deb!

Quoting Debrowsky:

That's cause you're a smart chick.   I have a lot of trust in what you find and post.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting rccmom:

I watched all 47 minutes, in bits and pieces, but all of it. It was very interesting and I agree with a lot of what he said. I found it enlightening about Conservatives and the concept of Karma. That explains a lot. I agree that Democrats do a lousy job on articulating their position on capitalism. 

I really liked the new word "sacrilize," among other things.  We shouldn't build up anyone or anything ina way that prevents us from seeing facts, and therefore addressing problems appropriately.  An analogy would be like if religious fundies refused breast cancer surgery because that would require someone to see their "sacrilized" breasts (!) or environmental fundies let a town get eaten up by kudzoo so as not to interfere with the "sacrilized" plant's ecology(!)

Mostly, I really like what he said about demonizing the other side,

Yes, and I liked how he explained it.  Demonizing is the opposite of "sacrilizing." He says that groups, including countries tend to unify easily around a common enemy, a common cause against "evil," so in that way there can be merit in such behavior.  The problem is if it goes too far, and this is slippery indeed.  One thing I observed is that probably people on both the right and left believe that the other side is truly advancing evil in some way, and so they feel perfectly justified in declaring "war," at least with words and political tactics.  Abortion is a prime example, here's a couple specific cases of it: one could easily perceive the "evil" of forcing a rape victim to continue a pregnancy, one could also easily see "evil" in using elective abortion as late-stage birth control. 

Yet, we might agree that war must be resisted and prevented if at all possible, hopefully we--I mean you and I, specifically-- can agree that there should still be rules in opposing political discourse.  My hope is that self-imposed rules of individuals can build trust and common ground between them, and they can then serve as ambassadors between differing groups. 

That's the ideal, anyway, but then again, as Haidt points out there are still others serving as ambassadors but for the interest of an elect few and not for principles.  (BTW it should be pointed out that that can happen in any type of society, capitalist, communist, or anywhere in between, whether it be through chronyism, fringe benefits, or private corporations.)

and how we have been grouped into clusters that only reinforce what an iindividual already believes.

Indeed, even technology contributes to this.  

I think that is a real, and serious problem. He mentioned that we need personal interaction with people we trust, and that have different opinions. In that way, we can start to understand other positions.

People cluster, and when they do, they often create similarities beyond the ones that brought them together.  So, IMO, it is an age-old problem and will continue to be one for ages to come.  Hopefully, though, the "best ideas" will continue to act in a competitive manner and attract people, so perhaps the process will be more like a continual "honing" rather than a complete re-hashing without end.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Fifteen Differences Between Democrats And Republicans

Those seem a bit shallow compared to Heidt's observations, but thanks for the linkage:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)