Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

No Assault Rifle Used at Sandy Hook Tragedy ETA: OP Retracted

Posted by   + Show Post

According to the state police, the NBC footage was incorrect:

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/newtownshooting/article/State-Police-All-26-Newtown-victims-shot-with-4222073.php

"

State Police: All 26 Newtown victims shot with assault rifle

Neil Vigdor
Published 10:06 pm, Thursday, January 24, 2013
  • State Police Lt. J Paul Vance speaks at a press conference in Newtown, Conn., following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School Dec. 14, 2012. Photo: Ned Gerard / Connecticut Post
    State Police Lt. J Paul Vance speaks at a press conference in Newtown, Conn., following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School Dec. 14, 2012. Photo: Ned Gerard | Buy This Photo
    State Police Lt. J Paul Vance speaks at a press conference in...

Lt. J. Paul Vance, the face of an ongoing Connecticut State Police investigation into the worst grade-school shooting in U.S. history, Thursday debunked media and Internet reports that Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza killed his victims with handguns and not the Bushmaster XM-15 E2S rifle that is now the focus of a proposed federal assault-weapons ban.

All 26 of Lanza's victims were shot with the .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle, said Vance, who bristled at claims to the contrary during an interview with Hearst Connecticut Newspapers.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/newtownshooting/article/State-Police-All-26-Newtown-victims-shot-with-4222073.php#ixzz2JUj72DHO

Apparently my OP is wrong, and I sincerely apologize.

I am posting this video because it has footage on NBC admitting that only hand guns were used in the shooting, it has more commentary after that clip.

The shooter, Adam Lanza, tried to obtain an assault rifle from a gun store on December 11th but was prevented due to the waiting period required by the state of Connecticut.  He did have an AR-15 in the trunk of his mother's car, but did not take it into the school.

This has probably been gone over before, but I thought it deserved its own post.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
erika9009
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
5 moms liked this

whether true or not.................

Since when have facts ever got in the way of the Progressive's agenda to "fix" this country? 

When I say "fix" it appears to mean be like Europe.  Try and get a job in France.  Or, how about that balanced budget in Spain and Greece?

No thanks, I like the United States like it was.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, at first many did, and then it was retracted by NBC.  The NBC footage in the video clearly states that only handguns were used in the school.

Quoting Citygirlk:

All news sources that day said the ar 15 was used. This whole thing is just fishy. I'm not saying its a conspiracy  but if it quack like a duck....

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

OMG. Source?

I realize there's a lot of debate over the definition of "assault weapon", but I'd really like to see a source that says the AR-15 wasn't used.

What about high capacity clips?

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I am not surprised at this.  This is what the original report said on the day of the shooting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

How does this or the deaths of 28 people help or strengthen the gun fanatics POV? 

Our president is using the Sandy Hook massacre as justification for assault rifle bans and/or restrictions.  He is implying that had those been in place, the massacre could have been prevented.

No one needs an arsenal to protect themselves or to provide food for their families-

An arsenal would have helped the French when they were invaded by Germany, or many others in the European resistance in WWII.  Let's not be naive and pretend something similar could not happen here.  That said, bans cannot eliminate production of the weapons, therefore criminals have them.  That's reason enough to allow law-abiding citizens to have them.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

NBC News footage in the OP.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

OMG. Source?

I realize there's a lot of debate over the definition of "assault weapon", but I'd really like to see a source that says the AR-15 wasn't used.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm not s big conspiracy person but this whole case is just out there...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM
3 moms liked this
How does the fact that the biggest mass killing at a school in history, did not involve the use of a gun at all, strengthen the anti gun fanatics argument?

Quoting Sisteract:

How does this or the deaths of 28 people help or strengthen the gun fanatics POV? 

No one needs an arsenal to protect themselves or to provide food for their families-

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This was already debunked, he used a semi auto assault rifle

the right wing lunatics are just too dense to get it

Adam Lanza weapons list: Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun, Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, Glock 10 mm handgun used

Bushmaster_AR-15_20121219070027_JPG

Gov. Andrew Cuomo beefed up New York's gun-control laws on Tuesday by signing into law a new package of firearm and mental health regulations that mark the nation's first since last month's massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.
Photographer: Joe Raedle, Getty Images
Copyright Getty Images

Adam Lanza brought three weapons inside Sandy Hook Elementary school on December 14 and left a fourth in his car, police said. Those weapons were a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle and two handguns -- a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9 mm.

In the car he left a shotgun, about which police have offered no details. Lanza used one of the handguns to take his own life, although police haven't said whether the gun was the Glock or the Sig Sauer.

In fact many details remain unknown about the weapons Lanza used that day to kill 20 children, his own mother, six other adults and then himself. Here's what is known so far:

Bushmaster AR-15 rifle

The primary weapon used in the attack was a "Bushmaster AR-15 assault-type weapon," said Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance. The rifle is a Bushmaster version of a widely made AR-15, the civilian version of the M-16 rifle used by the U.S. military. The original M-16 patent ran out years ago, and now the AR-15 is manufactured by several gunmakers. Unlike the military version, the AR-15 is a semiautomatic, firing one bullet per squeeze of the trigger. But like the M-16, ammunition is loaded through a magazine. In the school shooting, police say Lanza's rifle used numerous 30-round magazines.

An AR-15 is usually capable of firing a rate of 45 rounds per minute in semiautomatic mode.

Police didn't offer details about the specific model of the rifle Lanza used. A typical Bushmaster rifle, such as the M4 model, comes with a 30-round magazine but can use magazines of various capacities from five to 40 rounds. An M4 weighs about 6 ½ pounds and retails for about $1,300.

Under the 1994 federal ban on such weapons, buying new AR-15s was against the law. The ban expired in 2004.

Bushmaster is the No. 1 supplier of AR-15 rifles in the United States, according to the company website.

Their weapons are used by more than 100 police departments and by the militaries of 50 nations, according to Bushmaster. Private citizens use them for "hunting, recreation, competition and home defense and security," the website says.

Glock 10 mm handgun

Police haven't said what kind of Glock 10 mm handgun Lanza used. But Glock lists two types on its website, including the Glock 20 and Glock 29.

Lanza had "multiple magazines" for the Glock, Vance said. Such magazines are widely available.

The Glock 20 model has a 15-round magazine. Glock describes it as an ideal weapon for hunting because of its larger bullets, referred to as the ammunition's caliber.

The Glock 20 measures nearly 8 ¼ inches long and weighs about 2 ½ pounds when loaded, according to Glock's website.

Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun

The other handgun police said Lanza had with him during the school massacre was a Sig Sauer. Authorities didn't say what kind, but possibilities include the P226, P229 or P250, P290, and if it was an older pistol, possibly the P220. The 9 mm P220 is no longer sold in the United States

Like the Glock, Lanza's Sig Sauer also allowed high-capacity ammunition, Vance said. Lanza used "multiple magazines" that are widely available to feed ammunition to the Sig Sauer, Vance said. Sig Sauer makes 9 mm pistol magazines with a maximum capacity of 20 bullets.

And like the Glock, Vance said the Sig Sauer handgun was a semiautomatic.

The P226 has a 15-round magazine, measures 7 ¾ inches and costs about $1,142, according to Sig Sauer's website. They can be found cheaper at some gun shops.

The Handguns magazine website says of the P226: "Adopted by the [Navy] SEALs nonetheless, it has proven to be durable, reliable, accurate and adaptable. What it has not had a reputation for is compactness."

CNN's Michael Wade Sanders contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/world/adam-lanza-weapons-list-sig-sauer-9-mm-handgun-bushmaster-ar-15-rifle-glock-10-mm-handgun-used#ixzz2JU6wLJAJ

Quoting Citygirlk:

All news sources that day said the ar 15 was used. This whole thing is just fishy. I'm not saying its a conspiracy  but if it quack like a duck....

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

OMG. Source?

Imacakebaker
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

The only part of this story that I think is true, is 20 babies died and 6 adults.  Other than that is questionable.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm not s big conspiracy person but this whole case is just out there...

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM

like a dog with a bone with this point that is meaningless

There are restrictions in place with regard to explosives

now, Why can't you but a fully automatic machine gun?

Quoting Carpy:

How does the fact that the biggest mass killing at a school in history, did not involve the use of a gun at all, strengthen the anti gun fanatics argument?

Quoting Sisteract:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN