Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Which Gun Laws Aren't Being Enforced?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 33 Replies

This is an honest question.  I know that the head of the NRA just testified before congress that we don't need new laws, we just need to enforce the ones we already have.  I have heard this a lot.  I'm genuinely curious which laws aren't being enforced.  I'm hoping someone who is more educated on this subject would be willing to enlighten me.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

The one about it being illegal to try to buy a gun when you aren't legal to own one. 

Straw purchases?

Oh, yeah, David Gregory.  Don't forget that, what he did on TV was illegal, but he is not going to be prosecuted. 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

So, people who aren't legally allowed to own a gun are being sold guns anyway?  Why is that?

What is a straw purchase?  I've never heard that term.

Quoting 29again:

The one about it being illegal to try to buy a gun when you aren't legal to own one. 

Straw purchases?

Oh, yeah, David Gregory.  Don't forget that, what he did on TV was illegal, but he is not going to be prosecuted. 

Aislinn
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM
6 moms liked this

Well, the gun laws worked in Connecticut. That piece of garbage obtained his mothers guns. I do believe all gun sales should be subject to background check, but I also believe that this gun bullshit is just that, Bullshit. A ban did not stop the violence the last time. We need to be focusing on the lack of mental health care in this country. My state has 114 beds for mentally ill patients. We allow doctors to drug our child with heavy duty drugs that ruin the development of their brain. Nobody thinks there is a correlation between the dramatic rise in prescription drug use, by small children that have astounding and staggering side effects, some not even known yet, and the dramatic rise in gun violence like we have been seeing, lately? I am for actually helping and doing something productive to solve this problem. Gun bans are a band aid and this country is falling for it, hook, line and sinker.. As usual. Nobody every wants to go to the root of the issue.

Aislinn
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

So, people who aren't legally allowed to own a gun are being sold guns anyway?  Why is that?

Quoting 29again:

Straw purchases?

Private sales are not subject to background checks. Anyone can buy a gun in a private sale, as long as they are 18 and the age is only in some states. In some states, minors can buy certain guns, I believe.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting 29again:

Straw purchases?

Private sales are not subject to background checks. Anyone can buy a gun in a private sale, as long as they are 18 and the age is only in some states. In some states, minors can buy certain guns, I believe.

But that's a loophole in the law, not a law that is not being enforced.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

Well, the gun laws worked in Connecticut. That piece of garbage obtained his mothers guns. I do believe all gun sales should be subject to background check, but I also believe that this gun bullshit is just that, Bullshit. A ban did not stop the violence the last time. We need to be focusing on the lack of mental health care in this country. My state has 114 beds for mentally ill patients. We allow doctors to drug our child with heavy duty drugs that ruin the development of their brain. Nobody thinks there is a correlation between the dramatic rise in prescription drug use, by small children that have astounding and staggering side effects, some not even known yet, and the dramatic rise in gun violence like we have been seeing, lately? I am for actually helping and doing something productive to solve this problem. Gun bans are a band aid and this country is falling for it, hook, line and sinker.. As usual. Nobody every wants to go to the root of the issue.

I agree with you that the mental health issues need to be addressed.  Mental health services are often among the first cuts when budgets need to be balanced.  I guess the money has to come from somewhere.

29again
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I don't know why people who aren't legally allowed to buy guns try to get them.  I heard a statistic about some thousands of applications being rejected, and only a handful being prosecuted.  I do not remember the details of that, though.  But the main premise stuck in my head.  I will see if I can find something on that (it will be later, maybe even tomorrow night, as I leave for work soon.) 

A straw purchase is this:  I cannot legally own/buy a gun.  You, however, can.  So, I give you the $$ to buy a gun, and you do, and you then give me that gun.  That is a straw purchase.   I believe that that is illegal, but also hard to prove/detect.  They do limit how many guns one person can buy, and how often a person can purchase guns, I believe. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting 29again:

Straw purchases?

Aislinn
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Aislinn:

I agree with you that the mental health issues need to be addressed.  Mental health services are often among the first cuts when budgets need to be balanced.  I guess the money has to come from somewhere.

It needs to be first and foremost, IMO. They should not be wasting their time on the gun law debates. Making mandatory background checks on all gun sales should be pretty easy. Do you have any idea how much money they are wasting, just talking about doing something? It is so obvious none of them have our best interest at heart. People either want to stop mass murders or they want to worry about the money. You cannot have both. And, you also cannot stomp on law abiding citizens rights while you do it. I mean, the Administration and Congress are having no issues spending money, left and right. They are blowing more money a day than you and I can comprehend. And, if we wait for a balanced budget, we will be another four years, at LEAST, and god knows how many more dead people. 

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

The week the kids got back from winter break here, a father took his daughter to school with his gun on his hip.  He was told he wasn't allowed to carrry in the school and he is now banned from the school.  He broke the law, it is a gun free zone.  Why wasn't he arrested?  Why wasn't he prosecuted to the full extent of the law?  Because he's an "upstanding" member of the community.  But what if he had intended to do harm?  Are we suggesting that upstanding citizens never decide to shoot up a school?  It really irked me, and made me glad I homeschool.  We all "know each other" around here, why is that an excuse for not enforing a law?

Aislinn
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting 29again:

Straw purchases?

But that's a loophole in the law, not a law that is not being enforced.

Oh, I agree. As I stated before, the laws in Connecticut WORKED. The law did not allow that psycho to buy guns. I mean, there may have to be a day that if you even have a clinically diagnose mental illness in your home, you should not be allowed to have guns. I mean, that mans mother knew her son was on the edge. So, what did she do? Leave him alone with semi automatic weapons. Please do not take that as I blame her, but if citizens cannot take responsibility to keep guns away from people they know are mentally unstable, maybe the government needs to. For me, the issue just is NOT gun control. All the gun control in the world will not stop this. short of the military storming all of our houses...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN