Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mapping Paid Maternity Leave

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 44 Replies

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Imacakebaker
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Why should employers pay for someone to have a baby?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

The US provides zero? What inaccurate sources are you using?

Every working pregnant woman I know takes at least 3 months off. By law.

And fathers are also entitled to paternity leave. By law.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM
6 weeks paid. That is employee optional.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM
7 moms liked this

The reason this will never, ever happen here is because our children are simply not on the list of priorities in our culture.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

Those are unpaid.  This map is showing the number of weeks of paid maternity leave.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people are paid during maternity and paternity leave - since they save up their sick leave and vacation leave. There is way more sick leave than most people will ever use - which is why it is used for maternity leave, in addition to vacation leave.

And that is a problem?

Why does the US have to do everything the same as other countries? Probably one of the reasons that (usually, under other presidents), our GDP and productivity per person is significantly higher than in other countries. Allowing economic growth.

Reminds me of envy - prohibited by the 10th Commandment - that middle and high schoolers have toward their peers who have more than they.

Gotta grow up, people.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Those are unpaid.  This map is showing the number of weeks of paid maternity leave.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

10th commandment? Yes that would apply to Christians and has no business in dictating laws.

themissheather
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
The US is rapidly falling behind other nations in multiple categories. Maybe paid maternity/paternity leave would be a step in the right direction by starting our children off in a healthy direction.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I sincerely hope that is still the case for most people, that they can save up vacation and sick leave for maternity leave.  I worked for a large, multi-state bank until 2001.  Right before I left, the did away with "banking" sick leave (we could never bank vacation time).  That really screwed all the women who used to save it up for maternity leave.  I figured it was a growing trend.  I really hope it wasn't.  I hope it was unique to that bank.

Different cultures have different priorities.  In our culture, our children aren't on that list.  We're more concerned about GDP.  I appreciate you helping to make my point.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Most people are paid during maternity and paternity leave - since they save up their sick leave and vacation leave. There is way more sick leave than most people will ever use - which is why it is used for maternity leave, in addition to vacation leave.

And that is a problem?

Why does the US have to do everything the same as other countries? Probably one of the reasons that (usually, under other presidents), our GDP and productivity per person is significantly higher than in other countries. Allowing economic growth.

Reminds me of envy - prohibited by the 10th Commandment - that middle and high schoolers have toward their peers who have more than they.

Gotta grow up, people.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting SallyMJ:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting themissheather:

The US is rapidly falling behind other nations in multiple categories. Maybe paid maternity/paternity leave would be a step in the right direction by starting our children off in a healthy direction.

From what I have observed, governments don't tend to do things that don't provide a net benefit to the economy.  I believe study after study has shown that having the parents being the sole caregiver for the first several months of a baby's life is beneficial to the baby in many ways.  In the big picture, it has shown to be beneficial to society.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)