Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Mapping Paid Maternity Leave

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (41-44):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Completely out of context. My quote about Founders' pay for government service was in relation to government unions.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

In all fairness to your founders point, in the present matter, I think they would have been shocked simply that women were working for pay.

(We've come a long way, baby.)

Quoting SallyMJ:

I work for a private employer who believes in rewarding loyal employees. It is the most amazing employer I've ever had  - even though the executives are brain-dead liberals, who seem to forget that half of his workforce does not agree with his stances.

But you are correct - Benefits for government unions - and exponentially more for our elected federal government leaders - have great benefits. I don't think this what the Founders had in mind. I'm not even sure any of them were paid - since they were in session for 6 months of the year, and worked at their real jobs the other 6 months.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I shouldn't have said "brain dead". That was mean and way too opinionated. I don't believe liberals are brain dead - and coming from someone like me in healthcare, that was inexcusable. I apologize to you and anyone else i have offended.

Good for you. I usually have had conservative senior leadership. In all fairness, I don't know that ALL of them are liberals - just the most powerful contingent. They have taken  some positions and done some actions that to me, clearly are from political ideology, and not necessarily for the good of the company. No one is supposed to take any kind of public political position - but the executives in my company did and do. The 2008 election was horrible for those of us who were not for Obama. People in the company publicly (to our patients) wore Obama shirts and buttons, put up signs, etc. HR had to come down and state several time in no uncertain terms that this was illegal for our company and could put our nonprofit status in jeopardy. Conservatives did not feel the freedom to talk amongst ourselves - had to close doors and whisper. That never happened in any other election while I've been at my company.

My company is very unusual, in that many people retire there after having worked 20-40 years. My company encourages that by structuring the benefits so that they increase over time.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

You know, some might wonder if your employer believes in rewarding loyal employees, because the executives are "brain-dead liberals."

(Just FYI - my employers are incredibly smart conservatives who recognize that their talented female employees are more likely to do good work when they know that their children are taken care of.)

Quoting SallyMJ:

I work for a private employer who believes in rewarding loyal employees. It is the most amazing employer I've ever had  - even though the executives are brain-dead liberals, who seem to forget that half of his workforce does not agree with his stances.

But you are correct - Benefits for government unions - and exponentially more for our elected federal government leaders - have great benefits. I don't think this what the Founders had in mind. I'm not even sure any of them were paid - since they were in session for 6 months of the year, and worked at their real jobs the other 6 months.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Yes it was, but it goes to the problem I have whenever people want to go to Founders' intent to determine what current law should be.

The founders couldn't have had in mind much of anything when understanding the working world today, seems to me.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Completely out of context. My quote about Founders' pay for government service was in relation to government unions.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

In all fairness to your founders point, in the present matter, I think they would have been shocked simply that women were working for pay.

(We've come a long way, baby.)

Quoting SallyMJ:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

You work in the nonprofit health care sector?  Cool.

Yeah, it would be really hard to be a conservative in that kind of environment, I would think, particularly during an election year. I went to school in a pretty liberal place, and I used to deliberately sit at tables with conservatives just to avoid all the groupthink that went on.

Quoting SallyMJ:

I shouldn't have said "brain dead". That was mean and way too opinionated. I don't believe liberals are brain dead - and coming from someone like me in healthcare, that was inexcusable. I apologize to you and anyone else i have offended.

Good for you. I usually have had conservative senior leadership. In all fairness, I don't know that ALL of them are liberals - just the most powerful contingent. They have taken  some positions and done some actions that to me, clearly are from political ideology, and not necessarily for the good of the company. No one is supposed to take any kind of public political position - but the executives in my company did and do. The 2008 election was horrible for those of us who were not for Obama. People in the company publicly (to our patients) wore Obama shirts and buttons, put up signs, etc. HR had to come down and state several time in no uncertain terms that this was illegal for our company and could put our nonprofit status in jeopardy. Conservatives did not feel the freedom to talk amongst ourselves - had to close doors and whisper. That never happened in any other election while I've been at my company.

My company is very unusual, in that many people retire there after having worked 20-40 years. My company encourages that by structuring the benefits so that they increase over time.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

You know, some might wonder if your employer believes in rewarding loyal employees, because the executives are "brain-dead liberals."

(Just FYI - my employers are incredibly smart conservatives who recognize that their talented female employees are more likely to do good work when they know that their children are taken care of.)

Quoting SallyMJ:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN