Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

America has the most powerful military on the planet, no one can argue about that. And we're told that if the government becomes tyrannical, those 300 million guns in private hands are enough to beat that military and overthrow an evil regime. 
Then why do we need a military? Since our civilians are capable of beating any military force on the planet - even our own - why not save almost a trillion dollars a year? If the need arises, no doubt those patriots are willing to volunteer to fight and die to defend this nation - that's what they're constantly telling us. Let's take them at their word.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (31-34):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I didn't miss the taxation clause ~ I mentioned it specifically (either your reading or your comprehension skills need some tutoring). The 16th amendment is the one that reinstated slavery (even though the government called it taxes). The Post Office is just one more example of how government should NOT run a business at this point. The PE did a much better job, and in most instances it was faster. 

Quoting SweetChild63:

So, you slipped that whole commerce clause... and the taxation clause... and the necessary and proper clause... Oh, and yes it is indeed the job of the federal gov't to maintain a transportation system which is specifically enumerated under the postal clause... you did know there was a specific clause establishing the post office, right? 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Article 1 covers the three branches of government. Nothing in there about all those regulatory agencies, committees and agencies that all overlap and spend money and get nothing done, nothing in there about boards and commissions, or even things like the Dept. of Transportation (and all the rest of them).

Yes, the Constitution is meant to be changed ~ for the better, and for the benefit of the people. In case you missed it, slavery was outlawed with the 13th amendment, and sort of reinstated with the 16th *at the very least relegated citizens to nothing more than piggy banks for Uncle Sammy* ... but that has no bearing on erasing any part of the bill or rights, particularly the only one on the list that prevents the government from completely eliminating the rest at any time it chooses. If you aren't capable of understanding what the second amendment is there for, and just how much power it gives the people, you aren't capable of debating this topic.

Quoting SweetChild63:

I have no idea where you're going with this wild-eyed rant. And it's pretty clear you haven't actually read the constution. No where in the constitution is the concept of "little government." Check out Article 1 sometime. People also have this bizarre notion that the constitution was never meant to be modified. Article 5 is pretty good read too. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

How about you show me a single post I've ever made that states I want a plutocracy, a theocracy, or any combination of the two. Just one. I'm mostly libertarian ~ meaning that I am comfortable and capable of taking care of myself, I want as little government (whether it's regulation, taxation, or intrusion) as possible. I want the government to take care of the things it is supposed to (the military and the infrastructure), and I absolutely don't want any governent picking what flavor of religion I need to pony up for.

That being said, if the current mess out government has turned into over the past 50 years or so doesn't get it's collective act together and start doing it's job, I would rather scrap it than the Constitution. I'm completely fed up with bought and paid for congresscritters that do what the corporations pay them to do (which DOES constitute a plutocracy ... regardless of the disguise), regulatory agencies that ignore the Cosntitutional checks and balances, and an endless litany of rules and regulations that make it a chore to just live. Citizens in 'the land of the free' are more chained than most slaves, and worse, they are too dumb to even see it.  

I don't fear independence, and I don't shiver late in the night at the thought that Uncle Sammy won't come riding over the hilltop to 'save' me. If anything, that is what gives me nightmares.

Quoting SweetChild63:

And I don't want to live in plutocratic theocracy run by paranoid hatemongers. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

My name isn't Obama (Mr. OR Mrs.). I haven't tried to take away anyone's rights. I haven't disobeyed or flagrantly broken any laws. I haven't enacted (or even helped enact) laws that are unConstitutional. I haven't helped cover up illegal acts (such as shipping guns to drug runners or getting our ambassadors killed).

I just have a little farm with a garden, an orchard, and some meat and dairy animals ~ and I like the Constitution better (and understand it better) than anything the progressives want. I understand that that piece of paper gives me the right to say I do NOT want what the progressives want.

What I've stated is historical fact. This country was founded on a revolution against the government ~ because the government had made itself the enemy. If you like being a good little drone, that's your choice. It isn't mine.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Soooooo, you've just admitted that you're the domestic enemy.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Good grief ~ there is more of the Constitution some of you haven't read or don't understand?!?

The Constitution states that a military to guard and defend the country is required, is to be paid for and funded, and maintainted.

It also says that the individual citizens have a right to be armed to prevent that same government from taking advantage of the citizens in any tyrannical manner (through taxes, regulations, laws, etc.).

There are far more armed Americans than military personnel (who btw, take an oath to the Constitution, as well as not to obey unlawful orders). Most of those armed Americans are very much aware of the fact that 9% of Britains colonists took up arms against the largest military in the world (while about 50% of that same colonial population aided that military and the rest just sat it our and hoped no one would notice them) and won. WON. That 9% is the reason we have our Constitution and call the US home. They are the reason we elect a president and have representatives instead of a monarch. Those private gun owners today FAR outnumber the 9% of colonists and the military in it's entirety. A good many of them just went out and bought even more guns and ammo because the government is threatening them and the Constitution. If push comes to shove, more than half of that military would stand with the people. The government knows this ~ and it's WHY the government is pushing for gun control.

LuvmyAiden
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I think people like you do not realize just how many well trained current and former military operatives would side with the people. It is not only the right but the duty of military personel to disobey an unlawful or unconstitutional order, I just finished reading a really eloquent opinion piece about that by a marine actually.

SweetChild63
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I thought you wanted the gov't to take care of the things it's supposed do take care of. So.... Now you're arguing AGAINST following the constitution?

BTW, the taxation & spending clause is Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1.  "The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States."

(the 16th amendment just changed the definition of certain taxes)

Quoting Farmlady09:

I didn't miss the taxation clause ~ I mentioned it specifically (either your reading or your comprehension skills need some tutoring). The 16th amendment is the one that reinstated slavery (even though the government called it taxes). The Post Office is just one more example of how government should NOT run a business at this point. The PE did a much better job, and in most instances it was faster. 

Quoting SweetChild63:

So, you slipped that whole commerce clause... and the taxation clause... and the necessary and proper clause... Oh, and yes it is indeed the job of the federal gov't to maintain a transportation system which is specifically enumerated under the postal clause... you did know there was a specific clause establishing the post office, right? 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Article 1 covers the three branches of government. Nothing in there about all those regulatory agencies, committees and agencies that all overlap and spend money and get nothing done, nothing in there about boards and commissions, or even things like the Dept. of Transportation (and all the rest of them).

Yes, the Constitution is meant to be changed ~ for the better, and for the benefit of the people. In case you missed it, slavery was outlawed with the 13th amendment, and sort of reinstated with the 16th *at the very least relegated citizens to nothing more than piggy banks for Uncle Sammy* ... but that has no bearing on erasing any part of the bill or rights, particularly the only one on the list that prevents the government from completely eliminating the rest at any time it chooses. If you aren't capable of understanding what the second amendment is there for, and just how much power it gives the people, you aren't capable of debating this topic.

Quoting SweetChild63:

I have no idea where you're going with this wild-eyed rant. And it's pretty clear you haven't actually read the constution. No where in the constitution is the concept of "little government." Check out Article 1 sometime. People also have this bizarre notion that the constitution was never meant to be modified. Article 5 is pretty good read too. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

How about you show me a single post I've ever made that states I want a plutocracy, a theocracy, or any combination of the two. Just one. I'm mostly libertarian ~ meaning that I am comfortable and capable of taking care of myself, I want as little government (whether it's regulation, taxation, or intrusion) as possible. I want the government to take care of the things it is supposed to (the military and the infrastructure), and I absolutely don't want any governent picking what flavor of religion I need to pony up for.

That being said, if the current mess out government has turned into over the past 50 years or so doesn't get it's collective act together and start doing it's job, I would rather scrap it than the Constitution. I'm completely fed up with bought and paid for congresscritters that do what the corporations pay them to do (which DOES constitute a plutocracy ... regardless of the disguise), regulatory agencies that ignore the Cosntitutional checks and balances, and an endless litany of rules and regulations that make it a chore to just live. Citizens in 'the land of the free' are more chained than most slaves, and worse, they are too dumb to even see it.  

I don't fear independence, and I don't shiver late in the night at the thought that Uncle Sammy won't come riding over the hilltop to 'save' me. If anything, that is what gives me nightmares.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

My name isn't Obama (Mr. OR Mrs.). I haven't tried to take away anyone's rights. I haven't disobeyed or flagrantly broken any laws. I haven't enacted (or even helped enact) laws that are unConstitutional. I haven't helped cover up illegal acts (such as shipping guns to drug runners or getting our ambassadors killed).

I just have a little farm with a garden, an orchard, and some meat and dairy animals ~ and I like the Constitution better (and understand it better) than anything the progressives want. I understand that that piece of paper gives me the right to say I do NOT want what the progressives want.

What I've stated is historical fact. This country was founded on a revolution against the government ~ because the government had made itself the enemy. If you like being a good little drone, that's your choice. It isn't mine.

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Good grief ~ there is more of the Constitution some of you haven't read or don't understand?!?

The Constitution states that a military to guard and defend the country is required, is to be paid for and funded, and maintainted.

It also says that the individual citizens have a right to be armed to prevent that same government from taking advantage of the citizens in any tyrannical manner (through taxes, regulations, laws, etc.).

There are far more armed Americans than military personnel (who btw, take an oath to the Constitution, as well as not to obey unlawful orders). Most of those armed Americans are very much aware of the fact that 9% of Britains colonists took up arms against the largest military in the world (while about 50% of that same colonial population aided that military and the rest just sat it our and hoped no one would notice them) and won. WON. That 9% is the reason we have our Constitution and call the US home. They are the reason we elect a president and have representatives instead of a monarch. Those private gun owners today FAR outnumber the 9% of colonists and the military in it's entirety. A good many of them just went out and bought even more guns and ammo because the government is threatening them and the Constitution. If push comes to shove, more than half of that military would stand with the people. The government knows this ~ and it's WHY the government is pushing for gun control.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

All of that doesn't change the fact that until the start of WWI, tariffs were the main income for the federal gov't. Tariffs were used to protect US interests and jobs ~ taxes do nothing but drive business (and jobs) out ~ and the government no longer even maintains the fiction of a budget. In fact, it hasn't had one in four years ... but the taxes keep rising along with the cost of everything AND unemployment. Somehow you translate that out to be a good thing.

You also appear to be one of those silly people who translate 'General Welfare' into 'welfare'.

Quoting SweetChild63:

I thought you wanted the gov't to take care of the things it's supposed do take care of. So.... Now you're arguing AGAINST following the constitution?

BTW, the taxation & spending clause is Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1.  "The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States."

(the 16th amendment just changed the definition of certain taxes)

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SweetChild63:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)