Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dept. of Homeland Security suggests wielding scissors, throwing objects at ‘active shooter’ as ‘last resort’

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

8:52 AM 02/01/2013

Vince Coglianese

The federal government recommends you bring scissors to a gunfight.

The Department of Homeland Security offers Americans tips on how to survive an attack by an “active shooter,” including “throw[ing] items” and grabbing a pair of scissors.

DHS recommends Americans either “evacuate” the building or “hide out” depending on the situation.

But the third option, “take action,” is considered a “last resort” by the government.

One can “attempt to incapacitate the shooter” by “act[ing] with physical aggression and throw[ing] items at the active shooter,” suggests DHS.

A web video released by DHS in January says, “you might consider trying to overpower the shooter” as a last resort, “with whatever means are available.”

The clip shows an office worker grabbing a pair of scissors for the purpose of “trying to overpower the shooter.”

The DHS materials never recommend using a concealed firearm to disable or kill the assailant, though the option would clearly be more effective than throwing scissors.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not bringing scissors - let alone a knife - to a gun fight.

lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM
6 moms liked this

I wonder how many tax dollars were spent to come up with this brilliant idea.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I guess if it's all you have.I find it ridiculous that teachers are expected to protect children from a crazy with a gun using a pair of scissors.How about we try this first all the politcians on the hill can be protected by ss carrying scissors..only the best of course!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

BUT look at it this way they could give the crazies some wicked hair cuts :)

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure it was Big Scissors, aka the White House Staples account.

Quoting lylalane7275:

I wonder how many tax dollars were spent to come up with this brilliant idea.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

No one is suggesting that you bring scissors to a gun fight. What they are suggesting is if you are trapped, and the shooter is there, shooting people, and all you have is a pair of scissors, that is better than nothing. In the past this was suggested, using scissors, throwing books, or whatever, and they said no. Why they would say no, I don't know. I would not want to sit there and be shot without at least trying to use what I have at my disposal.

The DHS is assuming no one has a gun, not that one should skip the gun and use the scissors.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM
7 moms liked this

If that's so, I want a 20 foot pair of REALLY SHARP, semi-automatic scissors, with a pistol grip, and 10 extra blades.

Quoting tnmomofive:

I guess if it's all you have.I find it ridiculous that teachers are expected to protect children from a crazy with a gun using a pair of scissors.How about we try this first all the politcians on the hill can be protected by ss carrying scissors..only the best of course!

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Armed with scissors oh nos! Surely that will scare them off! Like I said the politcians and those Americans who would like us disarmed...I want them all to have to protect their children only with books or scissors.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

But see, that's the problem, and that's what it ends up being - bringing scissors or a knife to a gunfight - if you are not legally allowed to protect yourself with a firearm. Having a gun, and being able to protect yourself and your coworkers with a gun, is much more of an "equalizing factor" between an office worker and a shooter.

It's possible that the DHS designed this ad so people will realize how weak they would be with just a pair of scissors - so as many as possible will ensure they have some other more effective weapon available, such as a firearm.

You are right - It's no wonder the sales of guns and ammunition has skyrocketed. And I think this will continue for the time being. One of the ladies here on CM owns a gun store - and says sales the last few months are something like 1000% higher.

Quoting rccmom:

No one is suggesting that you bring scissors to a gun fight. What they are suggesting is if you are trapped, and the shooter is there, shooting people, and all you have is a pair of scissors, that is better than nothing. In the past this was suggested, using scissors, throwing books, or whatever, and they said no. Why they would say no, I don't know. I would not want to sit there and be shot without at least trying to use what I have at my disposal.

The DHS is assuming no one has a gun, not that one should skip the gun and use the scissors.  

soonergirl980
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I just looked at my scissors here at work I'm not sure they would break the skin it is a very blunt, rounded point.

Luckily it's not the scissors I would be going for when confronted with a gunman.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)