Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dept. of Homeland Security suggests wielding scissors, throwing objects at ‘active shooter’ as ‘last resort’

Posted by   + Show Post

8:52 AM 02/01/2013

Vince Coglianese

The federal government recommends you bring scissors to a gunfight.

The Department of Homeland Security offers Americans tips on how to survive an attack by an “active shooter,” including “throw[ing] items” and grabbing a pair of scissors.

DHS recommends Americans either “evacuate” the building or “hide out” depending on the situation.

But the third option, “take action,” is considered a “last resort” by the government.

One can “attempt to incapacitate the shooter” by “act[ing] with physical aggression and throw[ing] items at the active shooter,” suggests DHS.

A web video released by DHS in January says, “you might consider trying to overpower the shooter” as a last resort, “with whatever means are available.”

The clip shows an office worker grabbing a pair of scissors for the purpose of “trying to overpower the shooter.”

The DHS materials never recommend using a concealed firearm to disable or kill the assailant, though the option would clearly be more effective than throwing scissors.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Replies (51-60):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Is that really what it's called?   :)

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

makes me more thankful i live in oklahoma and we have the make my day law.

Presley77
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Biggest face palm ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SallyMJ:

yup :)
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

jules8289
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Farmlady09 way to go! FINALLY another female that understands the proposed gun ban and what the differences between the two guns are. To everyone that hates guns and wants the bans you can ban all you want, the bad guys are still going to do what they do. These bans were in effect and it didn't stop the Columbine shootings did it? Those kids are dead. The same for Waco, Texas. There was a Federal assault type weapons ban from 1994-2004. It did not help either of those mass shootings or any others. Throw out all the laws you want. It will not change the action of the criminal.  But those laws will forever change the lives of people that couldn't defend themselves because of those bans. The guns and the criminals that kill people with them will never go away.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I would be quite happy with universal background checks. The problem is that the ones we already have in place ARE NOT ENFORCED! The cops don't send the paperwork in or enter the data into their computers.

Assault weapons ARE banned. What Feinstein and congress and O are talking about now are semi-automatic rifles that are NOT assault weapons. All the scary pictures that are being shown are rifles with cosmetics applied to make them LOOK like assault weapons. The cosmetics do not do a single thing to upgrade the performance of the weapon ~ although some of them absolutely help improve the control of the person holding them.

I am not in favor of banning the magazines. In this part of the country, entire gangs are busting into people's homes. I hate to say something negative about these poor misunderstood youth, but the plain truth is they don't have any manners, and if someone asks them to please wait while they reload bad things will happen to that homeowner.

I will keep right on saying what I'm saying, because the people who don't know anything about guns except that they are afraid of them and don't like them don't have a CLUE what is being banned or taken away ~ but they feel completely justified and confident in labeling gun owners as crazy people who love guns more than children.

You can call me silly, crazy, whatever floats your boat ~ but it doesn't change the fact that you have no obvious clue what you're talking about, and that you don't give a rat's patootie about the rights of anyone including yourself because that second amendment is the only thing that keeps the government from taking away ALL of the rights in the Constitution. Not understanding that or caring about that goes far beyond 'silly'. 

Quoting rccmom:

The "anti-gun" people  simply want some gun control measure. Some people want universal background checks, some want to ban assault rifles, and some want to ban high magazine clips. The vast majority of Amrericans are for the right to carry most guns.

You can stand by what you say, but it is kind of silly since no one is pushing to take guns away from everyone.  

Quoting Farmlady09:

They will once the anti-gun people figure out that the first ban hasn't stopped gun violence and howls for more guns to be banned.

I stand by what I said. When the government, including the secret service and DHS arms itself with scissors to defend themselves against criminals with guns, I'll consider this as somthing other than round file material. 

Quoting rccmom:

Oh please, no one is talking about banning all guns.   

Quoting Farmlady09:

IF DSS gets away with this gun ban, it's very likely that the only individuals with a gun will be criminals and the government (.... not sure there is much of a difference between the two at this point). 

When the government arms itself with scissors instead of guns, I'll consider the suggestion as a viable one. Until then, I'll keep my gun and give the bad guy/s a fatal case of lead poisoning.

Quoting rccmom:

No one is suggesting that you bring scissors to a gun fight. What they are suggesting is if you are trapped, and the shooter is there, shooting people, and all you have is a pair of scissors, that is better than nothing. In the past this was suggested, using scissors, throwing books, or whatever, and they said no. Why they would say no, I don't know. I would not want to sit there and be shot without at least trying to use what I have at my disposal.

The DHS is assuming no one has a gun, not that one should skip the gun and use the scissors.  

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Wasn't that cute?!

I'm buying a gun now.  Thanks DHS for showing me the need for it. 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I am involved at the local level to a certain extent ~ but in all honesty, I would find it very difficult to not bite off my tongue trying to deal with the amount of corrupt individuals that are in government. I prefer mucking out the pig pen to even trying to be civil to liars. I've had a lot of people over the years ask me the same question. At a gut level, I know I can't reasonably expect things to improve if more people who do care about something other than looking pretty for the cameras and getting payouts don't get involved, but I think I'd need kevlar (or better) just to make it through the first year. I do appreciate the kind words though, make no mistake about that. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Well said, Farm Lady! 

Have you ever thought of running for elected office? You have more common sense and good ideas than about 50 of them put together.  :)

Quoting Farmlady09:

I would be quite happy with universal background checks. The problem is that the ones we already have in place ARE NOT ENFORCED! The cops don't send the paperwork in or enter the data into their computers.

Assault weapons ARE banned. What Feinstein and congress and O are talking about now are semi-automatic rifles that are NOT assault weapons. All the scary pictures that are being shown are rifles with cosmetics applied to make them LOOK like assault weapons. The cosmetics do not do a single thing to upgrade the performance of the weapon ~ although some of them absolutely help improve the control of the person holding them.

I am not in favor of banning the magazines. In this part of the country, entire gangs are busting into people's homes. I hate to say something negative about these poor misunderstood youth, but the plain truth is they don't have any manners, and if someone asks them to please wait while they reload bad things will happen to that homeowner.

I will keep right on saying what I'm saying, because the people who don't know anything about guns except that they are afraid of them and don't like them don't have a CLUE what is being banned or taken away ~ but they feel completely justified and confident in labeling gun owners as crazy people who love guns more than children.

You can call me silly, crazy, whatever floats your boat ~ but it doesn't change the fact that you have no obvious clue what you're talking about, and that you don't give a rat's patootie about the rights of anyone including yourself because that second amendment is the only thing that keeps the government from taking away ALL of the rights in the Constitution. Not understanding that or caring about that goes far beyond 'silly'. 

Quoting rccmom:

The "anti-gun" people  simply want some gun control measure. Some people want universal background checks, some want to ban assault rifles, and some want to ban high magazine clips. The vast majority of Amrericans are for the right to carry most guns.

You can stand by what you say, but it is kind of silly since no one is pushing to take guns away from everyone.  

Quoting Farmlady09:

They will once the anti-gun people figure out that the first ban hasn't stopped gun violence and howls for more guns to be banned.

I stand by what I said. When the government, including the secret service and DHS arms itself with scissors to defend themselves against criminals with guns, I'll consider this as somthing other than round file material. 

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Farmlady09:

IF DSS gets away with this gun ban, it's very likely that the only individuals with a gun will be criminals and the government (.... not sure there is much of a difference between the two at this point). 

When the government arms itself with scissors instead of guns, I'll consider the suggestion as a viable one. Until then, I'll keep my gun and give the bad guy/s a fatal case of lead poisoning.

Quoting rccmom:

No one is suggesting that you bring scissors to a gun fight. What they are suggesting is if you are trapped, and the shooter is there, shooting people, and all you have is a pair of scissors, that is better than nothing. In the past this was suggested, using scissors, throwing books, or whatever, and they said no. Why they would say no, I don't know. I would not want to sit there and be shot without at least trying to use what I have at my disposal.

The DHS is assuming no one has a gun, not that one should skip the gun and use the scissors.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You know, for the limited number of elected offices, we need  EXPONENTIALLY MORE at the local level. So you are in exactly the right place.

Have you ever heard of CPAC - the Conservative Political Action Conference? They've been holding them for about 50 years.

Last year, Andrew Breitbart was the main speaker, shortly before he died suddenly. His speech (on Youtube) is very motivating.

I am thinking of going this year. I need to look it up - I think it's in March in DC, if I'm not mistaken.  This is conservatives' much classier and ethical version of a union Saul Alinsky training school.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I am involved at the local level to a certain extent ~ but in all honesty, I would find it very difficult to not bite off my tongue trying to deal with the amount of corrupt individuals that are in government. I prefer mucking out the pig pen to even trying to be civil to liars. I've had a lot of people over the years ask me the same question. At a gut level, I know I can't reasonably expect things to improve if more people who do care about something other than looking pretty for the cameras and getting payouts don't get involved, but I think I'd need kevlar (or better) just to make it through the first year. I do appreciate the kind words though, make no mistake about that. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Well said, Farm Lady! 

Have you ever thought of running for elected office? You have more common sense and good ideas than about 50 of them put together.  :)

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Oh. My. Goodness. 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I have heard of them, and a lot of what I am involved in was initiated by them.

Quoting SallyMJ:

You know, for the limited number of elected offices, we need  EXPONENTIALLY MORE at the local level. So you are in exactly the right place.

Have you ever heard of CPAC - the Conservative Political Action Conference? They've been holding them for about 50 years.

Last year, Andrew Breitbart was the main speaker, shortly before he died suddenly. His speech (on Youtube) is very motivating.

I am thinking of going this year. I need to look it up - I think it's in March in DC, if I'm not mistaken.  This is conservatives' much classier and ethical version of a union Saul Alinsky training school.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Well said, Farm Lady! 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting rccmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN