Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

MEDIA SPINS UNEMPLOYMENT INCREASE AS GOOD NEWS

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 30 Replies
3 moms liked this

After the American economy delivered more bad news today in the form of an increase in the unemployment rate and job growth that barely kept up with the increase in population, it took exactly 4.3476 seconds for the Washington Post's Ezra Klein and some flak for NBC News to jump before the "Morning Joe" cameras to assure Americans this was good news.

Apparently, the increase in the unemployment rate means the economy is so good, more people are joining the labor force ... except 169,000 people dropped out of the labor force and the economy isn't good; it collapsed over three points in the last quarter and shrunk 0.1.

The AP called today's news "upbeat, " you know, even though consumer confidence hit a two-year low. But still, people are optimistic and looking for work … in an economy where chronic unemployment hasn't been this bad since World War II.

But according to Ezra Klein that's because a government that increased spending during the last quarter of last year, actually decreased spending.

And George Orwell sings: doo da do da do da do…

The Media's Top Five Rules:

1. No matter which way the unemployment rate goes, Obama is The Sun King.

2. No matter which way the GDP goes, Obama is The Sun King.

3. Obama can do nothing wrong, Republicans can do nothing right.

4. Squirrels are always bigger news than bad news for Obama.

5. Shut up, racist.

Poverty's up, middle class incomes are down, one-in-five are on food stamps, the GAO says the deficit is "unsustainable," and the only reason the unemployment rate isn't closer to 11% is because the labor force has shrunk to thirty-year lows since Obama took office.

According to the media, though, if you look around, all you'll see is the clover we are all sitting in.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM
6 moms liked this

Let me see if I get this:

- 5 million chronically unemployed people - the highest percentage of the workforce since WWII - who drop out of the workforce - is a good thing.

- An unemployment rate that doesn't count the chronic unemployed who have dropped out, is an accurate picture of unemployment in America.

- Black unemployment about twice the national average is acceptable.
- 50% of college graduates unemployed is an excellent thing.
- The 70% unemployment rate for black young people is a great statistic.

- An official unemployment rate that has barely budged in 4 years is a good thing.

- An unemployment rate of about 8% is a positive thing - even though 4-5% historically has been considered good. And Obama forecast a 5% unemployment rate by the end of his first term. 

- Any drops in unemployment in the past 4 years have been lucky - despite the anti-job actions taken by Obama and his pals.

- Creating 157,000 jobs in December 2012, and an average of 25,000 jobs per month over 4 years - when 200,000 - 250,000 jobs per month actually needed just to stay even with population growth in our economy.

- The federal and state governments passing all kinds of taxes and regulations (more than 800 in California, effective 1/1/13), that cause layoffs, reduction in hours, hiring freezens, companies going out of business, and businesses to move out of state, because of unsustainable tax rates and regulation, leaving their employees behind, is a good thing and helps the employment rate.

- Obama said the economy and unemployment were the first thing he thought of in the morning and the last thing he thought about at night - Hard to believe that, given how he governs.

- Obama instituted a Jobs Council because of the urgent need of jobs for Americans. The committee met 4 times and was disbanded, without doing a whole lot of anything.

- Obama and the Democrat Senate and House spending their time on Obamacare (which ironically, destroys jobs) is more important than dealing with the urgent need of jobs for the American people.

- Passing more and more taxes and regulations are counterproductive to the creation of more jobs. Taxes need to be decreased and over burdensome regulations pulled back. And entitlement programs need to bes structurally reformed, and all nonessential spending stopped, so that our economy can not only recover, but GROW. (When does the government ever speak of GROWING the economy? It's more like keeping it in a holding pattern.) And the government easily can be put back on the 2008 budget.

- Senate needs to pass a budget - it's been 4 years - instead of relying on automatic spending increases in the 2009 budget. Poorly done, Senator Reid. Poorly done indeed.

- Obama pursues economic policies that damage the economy - and that is good for employment?

So if you believe this contradictory data, 2 plus 2 really does equal 5.

Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics monthly reports, BLS Population Survey reports 2009 - 2013, approx. 100,000 news stories and statistics reports personally read over the past four years, about topics of which the average American should be aware of if they have any interest in keeping up with, and understanding, the actual state of employment in the US vs official government employment figures.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

29again
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM
4 moms liked this

And yet, people wonder how we ever got to be in such bad shape, as a country.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

If you don't know what's bad, how can you know what's good?

Quoting 29again:

And yet, people wonder how we ever got to be in such bad shape, as a country.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:05 PM
4 moms liked this

I was thinking the same thing about the media spin.  I guess the media has forgotten about the unemployment rate of 5.4% during the Bush administration.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
3 moms liked this

After all, "it's only 2.5 percentage points difference" between Bush's and Obama's unemployment rates.

Which is a difference of 50%, in the official rate at least. And more, because of 5 million discouraged people who have stopped looking.  

Quoting rocketracer:

I was thinking the same thing about the media spin.  I guess the media has forgotten about the unemployment rate of 5.4% during the Bush administration.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this

After all, "it's only 2.5 percentage points between Bush's and Obama's unemployment rates.

Which is a difference of 50%, in the official rate at least. And more, because of 5 million discouraged people who have stopped looking.  

Quoting rocketracer:

blondekosmic15
I love the Fall. Chill in the air decorated w/ bronze leaves & holidays approaching~
Yesterday at 9:49 PM
by Blonde on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting rocketracer:

And the Dems gained control of Congress Jan '07, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Obama won the Presidency here we go high unemployment..... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)