Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

MEDIA SPINS UNEMPLOYMENT INCREASE AS GOOD NEWS

Posted by   + Show Post

After the American economy delivered more bad news today in the form of an increase in the unemployment rate and job growth that barely kept up with the increase in population, it took exactly 4.3476 seconds for the Washington Post's Ezra Klein and some flak for NBC News to jump before the "Morning Joe" cameras to assure Americans this was good news.

Apparently, the increase in the unemployment rate means the economy is so good, more people are joining the labor force ... except 169,000 people dropped out of the labor force and the economy isn't good; it collapsed over three points in the last quarter and shrunk 0.1.

The AP called today's news "upbeat, " you know, even though consumer confidence hit a two-year low. But still, people are optimistic and looking for work … in an economy where chronic unemployment hasn't been this bad since World War II.

But according to Ezra Klein that's because a government that increased spending during the last quarter of last year, actually decreased spending.

And George Orwell sings: doo da do da do da do…

The Media's Top Five Rules:

1. No matter which way the unemployment rate goes, Obama is The Sun King.

2. No matter which way the GDP goes, Obama is The Sun King.

3. Obama can do nothing wrong, Republicans can do nothing right.

4. Squirrels are always bigger news than bad news for Obama.

5. Shut up, racist.

Poverty's up, middle class incomes are down, one-in-five are on food stamps, the GAO says the deficit is "unsustainable," and the only reason the unemployment rate isn't closer to 11% is because the labor force has shrunk to thirty-year lows since Obama took office.

According to the media, though, if you look around, all you'll see is the clover we are all sitting in.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
JustCJ
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

LOL where's the peanut gallery?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Well, my nickname in elementary school was "Peanut", due to my tiny height. So, one of the Peanut Gallery right here!

Quoting JustCJ:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

BUMP!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:03 PM

BUMP!

steviechick
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Make that more than 5M discouraged people.  It's more like 8M. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

After all, "it's only 2.5 percentage points between Bush's and Obama's unemployment rates.

Which is a difference of 50%, in the official rate at least. And more, because of 5 million discouraged people who have stopped looking.  

Quoting rocketracer:

I was thinking the same thing about the media spin.  I guess the media has forgotten about the unemployment rate of 5.4% during the Bush administration.  

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it really? - Thanks for the update. I think the 5M was correct just a few months ago.

Proof that unemployment is getting even "better".

Quoting steviechick:

Make that more than 5M discouraged people.  It's more like 8M. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

After all, "it's only 2.5 percentage points between Bush's and Obama's unemployment rates.

Which is a difference of 50%, in the official rate at least. And more, because of 5 million discouraged people who have stopped looking.  

Quoting rocketracer:

I was thinking the same thing about the media spin.  I guess the media has forgotten about the unemployment rate of 5.4% during the Bush administration.  

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:40 PM

REGULATION created the housing crisis? wow, those are some impressive mental gymnastics. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

And of course the "perfect storm" of regulations going back to Carter, that resulted in an implosion of the housing market.

What kills me is that McCain and others warned Congress for years that this would happen. Did they listen to him? No. With so many fingers in the pie, who do they blame? Bush. 

He must shake his head in amusement that Obama keeps blaming the GWB shadow for all his failures, going on 6 years.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting rocketracer:

And the Dems gained control of Congress Jan '07, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Obama won the Presidency here we go high unemployment..... 

susan115
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

So true

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Where would they be?

Great post, fabulous follow up posts, factual and enlightening for some, reinforcement for others, but the point missed is that 1/2 the country are morons.

Add a moronic citizenry to a corrupt media and this is what you end up with.

Quoting JustCJ:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Contributed. Lots of things together created the "Perfect Storm" resulting in the financial crisis of 2008.

Things going all the way back to Carter, as previously noted. 

Actually, political gymnastics. Right sport, just the wrong apparatus. Good try.

Quoting autodidact:

REGULATION created the housing crisis? wow, those are some impressive mental gymnastics. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

And of course the "perfect storm" of regulations going back to Carter, that resulted in an implosion of the housing market.

What kills me is that McCain and others warned Congress for years that this would happen. Did they listen to him? No. With so many fingers in the pie, who do they blame? Bush. 

He must shake his head in amusement that Obama keeps blaming the GWB shadow for all his failures, going on 6 years.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting rocketracer:

And the Dems gained control of Congress Jan '07, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, Obama won the Presidency here we go high unemployment..... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN