Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

New York City’s Teen Pregnancy Rate Plummeted After High Schools Expanded Access To Plan B

Pema_Jampa
Aicha
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
Khaled, Taha, Faudel - Aicha - Live HD

Live Concert - 1,2,3 Soleils - 1998 ***Warning*** The last person who copied/stole this video to his account was reported and YT removed his copy of this video.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

New York City’s Teen Pregnancy Rate Plummeted After High Schools Expanded Access To Plan B

The teen pregnancy rate in New York City dropped by 27 percent over the last decade, a statistic that city officials credit to teens’ expanded access to contraception.

The city’s health commissioner, Tom Farley,told the New York Daily News that the data shows two concurrent trends: more adolescents are choosing to use birth control, and more of them are also delaying sexual intercourse. That’s partly because New York is one of the 21 states that allows all minors to have access to contraceptive services — and two years ago, the public school system began a pilot program to provide Plan B to public school students in districts with high rates of unintended pregnancy:

The city has worked to make it easier for kids to get birth control — giving out condoms at schools and making birth control and the morning-after pill available in some school clinics, a sometimes controversial move.

Farley said the numbers show that strategy is working.

“It shows that when you make condoms and contraception available to teens, they don’t increase their likelihood of being sexually active. But they get the message that sex is risky,” he said. [...]

Teen pregnancy in the city is still higher than it is nationwide, but it has fallen at a sharper rate, officials said.

Despite the promising trends, health officials in the city note that there are still significant racial and geographic disparities among the teens who are getting pregnant. The Bronx has the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the country, and African-American teens in New York City have a much higher pregnancy rate than their white counterparts — 110.7 births for every 1,000 back girls, compared with 16 births for every 1,000 white girls. That trend is evident on a national level, too. Black and Latina women have the highest rates of unplanned pregnancy and, subsequently, the highest rates of abortion.

But the city’s school system is on the right track, since part of addressing the connection between poverty and teen pregnancy is increasing access to affordable birth control. Removing the cost barriers to contraception encourages low-income women to choose longer-lasting, more effective forms of birth control that lower their risk for unintended pregnancy. And increasing adolescents’ access to Plan B is particularly important since the Department of Health and Human Services requires women under the age of 17 to obtain a prescription for Plan B, an unnecessary extra step that is often a barrier preventing adolescents from accessing the contraception they need in a timely manner.

Despite right-wing fervor over Plan B, it is an extremely safe medication that does not actually induce abortion. The majority of parents whose children are enrolled in New York City’s public schools support the city’s initiative to expand access to this type of contraception.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rockinfirekitty
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Dont worry. People will just find something else to itch about :)

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Isn't Plan B, considered abortion?

I mean if she IS pregnant...then the baby's being aborted...if she's NOT pregnant then why would she need Plan B?

Just sayn'....

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I mean if she IS pregnant...then the baby's being aborted...if she's NOT pregnant then why would she need Plan B?

Just sayn'....

Plan B isn't an abortion any more than the daily birth control pill is an abortion. It needs to be taken within 72 hours of intercourse to be effective and does not cause an abortion/miscarriage if a woman is already pregnant.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Just sayn'....

Plan B doesn't terminate an existing pregnancy.  It's taken the day after unprotected sex, before pregnancy can occur (there is disagreement over this, but technically, pregnancy begins roughly a week after fertilization).

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

No.  It is essentially a mega-dose of the pill.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Just sayn'....

KRISTAL_WILDER
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

LOL no you take it within a certain amount of hrs after sex. Its powerfull birth control.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Just sayn'....

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

So all the kids are being encouraged to sleep with each other and it's ok.

Pregnancies are down, but what about the STDs? There isn't a day after pill for those.

Where are the morals, values, and self-respect being taught?

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Quoting gsprofval:

So all the kids are being encouraged to sleep with each other and it's ok.

Pregnancies are down, but what about the STDs? There isn't a day after pill for those.

Where are the morals, values, and self-respect being taught?

I don't think anyone wants to encourage teenagers to have sex.  Last time I checked, their hormones and immaturity are probably doing all the encouraging that's needed.  And I really do hope that there is some program in place to also encourage self-respect and the value of waiting until you are mature enough to be responsible.

Reality is that Plan B cutting down on pregnancy is probably cutting down on abortion, too.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting PamR:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Just sayn'....

Plan B doesn't terminate an existing pregnancy.  It's taken the day after unprotected sex, before pregnancy can occur (there is disagreement over this, but technically, pregnancy begins roughly a week after fertilization).

I understand what Plan B does. It "sets the stage" to prevent a pregnancy. Some would argue that's abortion.

Some also argue, that life begins at conception. Which happens the instant 1 sperm fertilizes an egg. So a woman COULD be pregnant, 24 hours later when taking Plan B.

I'm just saying that some consider it abortion.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I know what it is. I'm just saying if a couple have unprotected sex, and her egg is fertilized and she takes Plan B 24hours later...some would argue she was pregnant and it was abortion.

That's all I was saying.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

No.  It is essentially a mega-dose of the pill.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Just sayn'....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)