Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Former Navy SEAL Recruiting Female Military Veterans to Work as Nannies

Posted by   + Show Post

Former Navy SEAL recruiting female military veterans to work as nannies

• By JULIA MARSH
  • Last Updated: 9:21 AM, February 4, 2013
  • Posted: 1:13 AM, February 4, 2013

EXCLUSIVE

Gi Jane is coming to a family apartment near you.

Prompted by the Upper West Side slayings of two children by their nanny, a former Navy SEAL has started a company offering to match hypervigilant parents with the ultimate in protection - female military veterans as caregivers.

"That family even went down to the Dominican Republic thinking they were screening the nanny, but they didn't really know who she was," Tactical Nanny creator Jonathan Gilliam said of Marina and Kevin Krim, who lost two of their young children in the horrible attack last year.

DIAPER BRIGADE: In a move echoing the plot of Vin Diesel's 2005 comedy,
Warzer Jaff
DIAPER BRIGADE: In a move echoing the plot of Vin Diesel's 2005 comedy, "The Pacifier," former SEAL Jonathan Gilliam (above) is enlisting female veterans like Melissa Fraga to work as nannies in the city.
Vin Diesel's 2005 comedy,
Walt Disney
Vin Diesel's 2005 comedy, "The Pacifier"
Melissa Fraga
Melissa Fraga

"We're not just offering another nanny service. These women have a proven track record. They're veterans protecting the future of the USA," said Gilliam, 43.

The former lieutenant - who once served in the Navy's special operations force, the division that took out Osama bin Laden - said his veteran workers can change diapers as easily as they can reload a semiautomatic.

But they're also trained to protect people - in this case, kids - with their own lives, he said.

"They can keep tragedy from happening. You're paying for the peace of mind," Gilliam said of the service, which costs at least $1,500 a week, or about $30.75 a hour.

One of the no-nonsense nannies already lined up for the Tactical Nanny program is Miami-based Army reservist Melissa Fraga, 23.

As a reservist, she's trained to track enemies and oversee mission communications. She's a certified combat lifesaver, meaning she has high-level first-aid training.

And her résumé says she's also kid-friendly and has taught 4- to 13-year-olds in martial arts.

Asked what sets her apart from your average sitter, Fraga responded, "It's just being able to handle situations under stress.

"Let's say a nanny would freak out if she hears sounds around her. I'd be able to see the situation, figure out where the noise is coming from, check around the house and then do whatever other steps I need," Fraga said.

Gilliam, who has worked as an FBI counterterrorism agent in New York City, said he's already anticipated a concern families might have about employing vets: post-traumatic stress disorder.

He said all the workers at his 3-month-old firm, United States Continued Service, will come with comprehensive military reports that include background checks, training records and an account of any problems during their service.

In addition, Gilliam said he's consulting with a psychologist to match the vets' and families' personalities.

Whether the vets will be armed is up to their bosses.

Upper East Side mom Kathleen Histon, 45, said she's ready to sign up.

"With nannies who have tactical training and security clearance, you're really knowing the quality of the person you bring into your home. There's no price you can put on that," said the investment banker and single mother of two teen girls. "Our government's invested enough money in training them. You're reaping the benefit of that."

Additional reporting by Rebecca Rosenberg

grandma B

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Replies (21-26):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM

What about the military makes one a better nanny?

Your insults are typical of your replies..grow up. I said nothing nasty to YOU

Now, WHAT about being a VET means you are a better nanny than anyone else?

Quoting grandmab125:

Stop being obtuse.  I've already answered both of those questions.  So stop repeating yourself.  Read my second paragraph.

Instead of making more of your inane remarks, why don't you come up with some coherent reasons a veteran wouldn't make a good nanny.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

How are they better?
Or safer?

Anyone can snap

Quoting grandmab125:

Sitters and daycare providers have been known to seriously harm or kill children too.  So what's your point?  That case was very unusual, since she'd been a naturalized citizen for 10 years, and had been their nanny for 2 years.  They still don't know what made her snap.

As long as these soldiers have been cleared by a physician for PTSD and other psych problems, they're a much better bet than some unknown person you get from a regular agency, or a name from a friend.  You have the added benefit, that they can physically protect your children.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The kids in question were murdered by their nanny

Not someone breaking in from the outside

Quoting grandmab125:

And what inside threats would that be?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I don't believe that makes them any more safe from inside threats..outside, maybe.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Pot calling the kettle black.  From the Queen of twisting people's words into insults.  Oh, and drop the poor little me, you've hurt my feelings routine.  You're a big girl now.  It's time to put on your big girl panties.

Since it appears you didn't really read the article, I've quoted the highlights for you.  The points sure sound reasonable to me.  I think it's a great idea.

But they're also trained to protect people - in this case, kids - with their own lives, he said.

Asked what sets her apart from your average sitter, Fraga responded, "It's just being able to handle situations under stress.

"Let's say a nanny would freak out if she hears sounds around her. I'd be able to see the situation, figure out where the noise is coming from, check around the house and then do whatever other steps I need," Fraga said.

"With nannies who have tactical training and security clearance, you're really knowing the quality of the person you bring into your home. There's no price you can put on that," said the investment banker and single mother of two teen girls. "Our government's invested enough money in training them. You're reaping the benefit of that."

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Stop being obtuse.  I've already answered both of those questions.  So stop repeating yourself.  Read my second paragraph.

Instead of making more of your inane remarks, why don't you come up with some coherent reasons a veteran wouldn't make a good nanny.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

How are they better?
Or safer?

Anyone can snap

Quoting grandmab125:

Sitters and daycare providers have been known to seriously harm or kill children too.  So what's your point?  That case was very unusual, since she'd been a naturalized citizen for 10 years, and had been their nanny for 2 years.  They still don't know what made her snap.

As long as these soldiers have been cleared by a physician for PTSD and other psych problems, they're a much better bet than some unknown person you get from a regular agency, or a name from a friend.  You have the added benefit, that they can physically protect your children.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I don't believe that makes them any more safe from inside threats..outside, maybe.

grandma B

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Dear God this is stupid

So in response to a nanny murderinh the children she was watching you hire someone from the military?

Dumbest leap ever

Quoting grandmab125:

Pot calling the kettle black.  From the Queen of twisting people's words into insults.  Oh, and drop the poor little me, you've hurt my feelings routine.  You're a big girl now.  It's time to put on your big girl panties.

Since it appears you didn't really read the article, I've quoted the highlights for you.  The points sure sound reasonable to me.  I think it's a great idea.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

How are they better?
Or safer?

Anyone can snap

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM

What are you talking about?  That is the most garbled thing I have ever read.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Dear God this is stupid

So in response to a nanny murderinh the children she was watching you hire someone from the military?

Dumbest leap ever

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

How are they better?
Or safer?

Anyone can snap

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

grandma B

rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that is an interesting idea. A vet would most likely be fit, know first aid, and had to have a clean enough record to have been allowed to enlist. Depending on the job she held, she may very well have other qualifications, and she should be able to do well under a high pressure situation.

Analeigh2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
It is no more of a stupid leap than the response to children being killed by a crazy man with 3-4 handguns, so the government targets banning assault weapons.

People do tend to have knee jerk reactions to a horrific incident.

Bottom line is people are being offered employment. They may or may not be the best qualified for the job, but they are given a chance at employment. Celebrate the fact that someone is looking to create a business AND hire people. This country, and our veterans, need jobs.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Dear God this is stupid

Dumbest leap ever

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

How are they better?
Or safer?

Anyone can snap

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)