Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Blacks, Hispanics Waited Almost Twice As Long To Vote As Whites In 2012

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 11 Replies

Blacks, Hispanics Waited Almost Twice As Long To Vote As Whites In 2012

During the November 2012 election, Black and Hispanic voters waited nearly twice as long to vote as whites, according to a Massachusetts Institute of Technology analysis. New York Times graphs summarizing the analysis show that white voters waited an average of 12.7 minutes, while Black and Hispanic voters waited an average of 20.2 minutes:

Long lines in several swing states were a major concern during this election, and the longest lines were in Florida, where another recent study estimated that at least 201,000 people may have been deterred from voting by lines that were hours long. This was in no small part due to Gov. Rick Scott’s (R) elimination of 6 early voting days in the state and other voter suppression initiatives that several top Republicans later admitted were intended to keep Democrats from the polls. Both the MIT analysis and a New York Times/CBS poll showed that Democrats had longer average wait times than Republicans. In the wake of the election, 14 states are considering proposals to expand early voting, including Florida, where Gov. Scott is now publicly supporting a restoration of the early voting days he cut.

A report released by the Brennan Center for Justice Monday proposes congressional actionto modernize the voting system through voluntary automated registration that moves with the voter from state to state, federal investment in voter registration reform, as well as online voter registration options and same-day registration options. Democrats expect President Obama to address voter modernization reform during his State of the Union next week.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
manifer_momma
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Racists!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM

This was a despicable chapter in GOP strategy. Thanks to @[479687202044787:274:DeadState] for this image. 

Posted in the @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party] Facebook page.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

But the GOP isn't trying to suppress the vote or anything.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I waited over an hour to vote and I am caucasian. 

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Until people start opening up their garages or we get more people to volunteer to run polling stations, there will continue to be big lines. Let's face it, democrats tend to be in more densely populated areas, which should require more stations. It would be nice if there were universal like 10 days early voting, but there isn't. I wish every state allowed mail in ballots too, because then there should be no complaints! Put a stamp on it and tada, voted from home. No waiting in line and it saved you money too because gas would probably have cost you more than that stamp.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Sigh....Obama needs to stop whining.  He won, didn't he?

To begin with, we have the motor voter law, which was Obama's baby when he was Ill Senator.  You can vote by mail weeks ahead of time.  Some states, i.e., Ohio, start accepting ballots a month before.  Most states have early voting in person a week or so before, then a lot have early voting for several days before and up to the election.  There really is no excuse for a person to wait until election day if they know there will be long lines at their polling booths.

I would say that the gov't bent over backwards with this voter motor law, and allowing walk in early voting right before election day.  It used to be that you could only vote absentee for a reason like you would be out of town, and then you went to your county office to sign an application and then vote.

Those long lines the MSM loves to show are in the inner cities.  That's not the fault of the repubs.  It's the fault of the people who wait to the last minute, and the cities they vote in that don't open up enough polling places to handle the crowds.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Your usual BS.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This was a despicable chapter in GOP strategy. Thanks to @[479687202044787:274:DeadState] for this image. 

Posted in the @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party] Facebook page.

grandma B

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I call BS. The lines form as people arrive. Guess if they wanted to be at the front of the line they should have gotten up earlier and gotten in line.

Gotta understand it takes a while to bus illegal voters from place to place all day long.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM

and yet Romney still lost:) 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This article is misleading. When you make conclusions, you need to check your assumptions - or else you will make inaccurate conclusions. For example:

1) Rather than just counting the number of minutes, it would be helpful to also count the number of voters each hour. Based on my own experience, the most crowded time to vote is at the end of the day in the last couple of hours. Especially for a presidential election, which have the highest turnouts of any elections. More people are there at every polling place at that time.  To avoid that long line, many people such as myself, don't typically vote at night, but in the morning before work. Others vote in late morning, early or late afternoon. No polling place is nearly as crowded at those times as they are between 6-8 pm.

2) Also, blacks and Hispanics historically do not vote in as large percentages as whites. Except for the 2008 and 2012 elections. Many experts believed that the black and Hispanic turnout in 2012 would not be as high as 2008 - even though it turned out to be about the same. So there may have not been enough polling places as needed.

3) The study that showed over a hundred thousand blacks being scared away from voting because of long lines, is simply NOT TRUE. That situation involved Early Voting - where are fewer polling places open - and not regular voting on Election Day - when all polling places are open. 

Apparently some people wanted to vote early so badly, that they were willing to stand in lines for 9 hours. Not me. Lines are NEVER like that on Election Day. I would have taken one look at that line, said, "See ya", and come back on Election Day. VOTING ON ELECTION WAS ALWAYS AN OPTION.

Officials have to plan ahead of time and predict how many people will vote early. They probably planned correctly for some areas and incorrectly for others - since it's pretty new in most places. How many people will vote early? Who knows? It's really hard to read minds.  Human error. Which last time I checked was an unfortunate thing, but not against the law. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN