Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

15-YEAR OLD BOY USES AR-15 TO DEFEND HIMSELF, SISTER AGAINST HOME INVADERS

Posted by   + Show Post

A 15-year old boy used his father’s AR-15 to defend himself and his 12-year old sister against two burglars at their home just north of Houston, Texas.

Their father is a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy constable, and the boy knew what he had to do to keep himself and his sister alive. Around 2:30 PM, two men tried to break in, with one going through the front door and the other in the back.

The boy grabbed the AR-15 and shot at them. The two later showed up at a Tomball hospital. The adult was hit three times and was flown to Memorial Hermann hospital, while the juvenile was taken back to the crime scene.

“We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

More stories are coming out about armed citizens defending their lives and property with legally owned firearms. In the span of a week, the news has reported how a mother used a .38 revolver against an intruder, a man used his weapon to protect his 2-month old son, and a Colorado man invoked the Make My Day law in Colorado in using lethal force to defend himself against three intruders.  

Senator Dianne Feinstein and others are trying to push through major gun control laws that would include banning the AR-15, the same gun used by the teenage boy.

http://policelink.monster.com/news/articles/176384-15-year-old-boy-uses-ar-15-to-defend-himself-sister-against-home-invaders
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (51-55):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That is good advice. I had one other person tell me that if I went for the small handgun like I was thinking, that it would require more shots to stop someone. My son also wants to learn to shoot, he is 15, so part of it will be on what he wants also. I would like us both to be capable of using a gun if someone breaks into the house. I've heard a shotgun is good, but frankly, I'm not comfortable with those.

I don't worry as much about a gun in my purse, but I read that locally a person here offers free conceal carry training for vets. Thought I might take advantage of that. However, I don't feel too unsafe out walking around, and if someone attacked, I don't know if digging through my purse would be a good response. I've had 4 yrs karate, 3 yrs muay thai, and I'm starting Ki Aikido now. I think my first reaction would be something physical if someone jumped me. (-; 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

If I may....there are some men that may try to tell you that you can only handle a revolver or a 9mm.  Don't listen to them if this is the case.  A 9mm handgun is easy to use but you will have to shoot more than one round especially if your intruder or whatever is high or on meth.  Go with a 40 cal or higher.  A shotgun is great for home protection but you really have to train on it because it will knock the crap out of your shoulder.  Biden was smoking crack when he said that a shotgun is easier to use than an assault rifle.  My choice is a handgun in your purse while outside of your home and an assault rifle for your home.  Now I will get off my preaching......Good luck and practice, practice, practice.  :  )

Quoting rccmom:

Thanks for the info about the differences. Funny enough I am thinking of getting a gun of some sort now that I am kind of out in the sticks. I want one I can learn quickly, but trust me, I will have training. I don't to shoot myself in the foot. But I also want something not too big. I don't know if I want a conceal carry permit. 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This is an example of someone who is emotionally charged and ignorant on guns. Just like some in DC, We don't need these types of people deciding gun laws. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Assault style weapons do not belong in the hands of anyone other than the military or police.  The child could have still used another type of gun.   The woman who had just buried her husband defended herself and her infant with a shotgun.  

Redwall
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Well done!  He should have used an AK...it shoots a 123 grain bullet and an AR shoots a 55 grain bullet.  I suspect there would've been two fewer future residents of the Texas penal system had he not used a poodleshooter...or if he had've shot just a few more times...  An AR does NOT stand for Assault Rifle...it stands for Armalite....in any event, I'm thrilled that this young man was able to protect himself and his little sister.  Diane Feinstein should go drown herself in a lake of sh*t.

soonergirl980
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM

personally I would suggest finding a local gun range that rents guns. Shoot as many as possible and find the gun that YOU are comfortable shooting. I carry a .380 Ruger because its what I am most comfortable carrying. Personally never carry in my purse 1. thats normally what an attacker is going for and 2. digging through a purse during an attack is not optimal.

Just my 2 cents.

Quoting rccmom:

That is good advice. I had one other person tell me that if I went for the small handgun like I was thinking, that it would require more shots to stop someone. My son also wants to learn to shoot, he is 15, so part of it will be on what he wants also. I would like us both to be capable of using a gun if someone breaks into the house. I've heard a shotgun is good, but frankly, I'm not comfortable with those.

I don't worry as much about a gun in my purse, but I read that locally a person here offers free conceal carry training for vets. Thought I might take advantage of that. However, I don't feel too unsafe out walking around, and if someone attacked, I don't know if digging through my purse would be a good response. I've had 4 yrs karate, 3 yrs muay thai, and I'm starting Ki Aikido now. I think my first reaction would be something physical if someone jumped me. (-; 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

If I may....there are some men that may try to tell you that you can only handle a revolver or a 9mm.  Don't listen to them if this is the case.  A 9mm handgun is easy to use but you will have to shoot more than one round especially if your intruder or whatever is high or on meth.  Go with a 40 cal or higher.  A shotgun is great for home protection but you really have to train on it because it will knock the crap out of your shoulder.  Biden was smoking crack when he said that a shotgun is easier to use than an assault rifle.  My choice is a handgun in your purse while outside of your home and an assault rifle for your home.  Now I will get off my preaching......Good luck and practice, practice, practice.  :  )

Quoting rccmom:

Thanks for the info about the differences. Funny enough I am thinking of getting a gun of some sort now that I am kind of out in the sticks. I want one I can learn quickly, but trust me, I will have training. I don't to shoot myself in the foot. But I also want something not too big. I don't know if I want a conceal carry permit. 

rccmom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM

That's a good idea. Yeah, plus I am bad with my purse too, leaving it lying about. I am afraid a gun would not be secure in it. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

personally I would suggest finding a local gun range that rents guns. Shoot as many as possible and find the gun that YOU are comfortable shooting. I carry a .380 Ruger because its what I am most comfortable carrying. Personally never carry in my purse 1. thats normally what an attacker is going for and 2. digging through a purse during an attack is not optimal.

Just my 2 cents.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting rccmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN