Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Happiest Place On Earth Just Got Gayer: Disney World Welcomes New Gay President

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
The Happiest Place On Earth Just Got Gayer: Disney World Welcomes New Gay President PDF Print
Written by Instinct Staff | Tuesday, 05 February 2013
Tags: disney world, florida, welcomes, new, openly gay, president, george kalogridis

DisneyPrez

There will be an extra sense of celebration in the air at Gay Days at Disney World this year now that the international destination has welcomed George Kalogridis on as its new president. 

According to Orlando's Watermark:

One of Walt Disney World’s first employees now has 66,000 cast members calling him “boss.” In August 1971, George Kalogridis scored a job bussing tables at The Walt Disney Company’s new theme park, set to open that October.

Now, as of Feb. 1, Kalogridis is Walt Disney World’s fifth president, taking over for Meg Crofton, who will fully assume her role as president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, U.S. and France.

According to his official Walt Disney World bio, Kalogridis, 59, has been with the company for 41 years. He comes to his new role in Lake Buena Vista from Disneyland Resort, where he has served as president since 2009. Kalogridis’ job titles also include CEO for Disney Resort Paris, vice president of Travel Operations at Walt Disney World in Orlando, and vice president of Epcot.

JoeMyGod points out that Kalogridis has served on the board of Out & Equal and his partner also works for Disney. 

Congrats, George!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Wow, 41 years with them! Impressive! I'm glad that Disney seems to have chosen a great candidate for the job, when I'm sure the potential negative response must have come up at some point.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

So?

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM

so good for  disney for equal opportunity hiring, and for not knuckling under to bigotry and lies. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

So?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Who's knuckling under? 

Gays have worked in most professions for years. And many management and executive positions. It is so Stone Age to think they have not.

It's a good thing - but move on. It's the same situation everywhere - even though they usually don't broadcast it in the news. People just don't talk publicly about it, because it is not a big deal. 

We don't need to compartmentalize ourselves, as so many do today. We are all Americans. To slightly modify Martin Luther King's statement, we judge people not by the color of their skin, their gender, their religion, their sexual orientation, etc. - but on the content of their character.

That's why I said "So?"

Quoting autodidact:

so good for  disney for equal opportunity hiring, and for not knuckling under to bigotry and lies. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

So?

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM

oh, for fuck's sake, here we go again. 

I said they were NOT knuckling under.

you just keep tilting against your imaginary windmills, you clearly don't need my input to make shit up.  

Quoting SallyMJ:

Who's knuckling under? 

Gays have worked in most professions for years. And many management and executive positions. It is so Stone Age to think they have not.

It's a good thing - but move on. It's the same situation everywhere - even though they usually don't broadcast it in the news. People just don't talk publicly about it, because it is not a big deal. 

We don't need to compartmentalize ourselves, as so many do today. We are all Americans. To slightly modify Martin Luther King's statement, we judge people not by the color of their skin, their gender, their religion, their sexual orientation, etc. - but on the content of their character.

That's why I said "So?"

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting SallyMJ:

So?

soonergirl980
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I don't understand what his sexual orientation has to do with anything

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

From bussing tables to President.  Now that is a success story.  Good for him.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

His sexual orientation has nothing to do with his ability to do his job.  Just a few years ago, he would probably not have been able to be openly homosexual and still advance in a career for an employer that is considered to be family-oriented.  It's a win for society as a whole.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)