Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

7 Year Old Suspended From School for Playing an Imaginary Game

Posted by   + Show Post

LOVELAND, Colo. - A 2nd grader has been suspended from school in Loveland for a make believe game he was playing.

The 7-year-old says he was trying to save the world. But school administrators say he broke a key rule during his pretend play.

"I was trying to save people and I just can't believe I got dispended," says Alex Evans, who doesn't understand his suspension any better than he can pronounce it.

"It's called ‘rescue the world,'" he says.

He was playing a game during recess at Loveland's Mary Blair Elementary School and threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.

"I pretended the box, there's something shaking in it, and I go ‘pshhh.'"

The boy didn't throw anything real or make any threats against anyone. He explains he was pretending to be the hero. "So nothing can get out and destroy the world."

But his imaginary play broke the school's real rules. The school lists "absolutes" designed to keep a safe environment. The list includes absolutely no fighting, real or imaginary; no weapons, real or imaginary. Click here to see the Mary Blair "Absolutes"

Should a 7-year-old be suspended from school for activities in an imaginary 'save the world' game?
 No 
 Yes 
There may be instances when suspension is appropriate 
Quantcast

"Honestly I don't think the rule is very realistic for kids this age," says Alex's mom Mandie Watkins.

Alex is like a lot of 2nd graders, perpetual motion. His mom says the little boy doesn't understand why pretending to be a soldier was wrong. "I think that when a child is trying to save the world, I don't think he should be punished for it."

At least one other parent FOX31 Denver talked to agrees with her.

"That's just a boy growing up," says Elliott Orozco. "That's what I did and I didn't become a bad guy."

Nevertheless, Alex will be playing at home rather than in the school yard because his mom says he'll stay home until this can be worked out.

grandma B

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Replies (41-47):
autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I'm a progressive/liberal and think ZT is utter bullshit. but I attribute it to the same thinking that kicks out ANY student "caught fighing" regardless of whether they are the instigator or they got jumped. 
what you attribute to ideolgy I credit to laziness. Occam's razor. It's far less work than considering each instance and the nuance of the circumstances.  

Quoting Carpy:

This is what you get when you let progressive liberals be in charge.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-whitehead/zero-tolerance-policies-schools_b_819594.html

here's an article in tne LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE Huffpo that criticizes ZT.  

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this

What conservative bastards are you talking about?  If you're talking about the school, the public schools in this country have been taken over by the progressive movement for decades now.  If conservatives ran the schools, the kids would still be learning the 3 Rs.  Back in the 50's, we had the best educational system in the world.  We were #1.   In science and math we rank down in the 20s now.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Im progressive and liberal and I think it's fucking retarded.
Last time I checked criminals and severe mentally ill people didn't follow the law.

Ill be standing waiting with a shot gun the day someone tries to hurt my baby, but seriously suspending a kid over this?

They are off the deep end. A 7 year old is not and should not be aware of that level of stupidity and insanity.

Someone needs to whack the conservative bastards who think that rule is a good idea in the head.

Quoting Carpy:

This is what you get when you let progressive liberals be in charge.

grandma B

JustCJ
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Yep, and then, the child who gets bullied...goes postal (for lack of a better term). I was bullied all through my school years so I get it, why some kids snap..I don't excuse it..but I get it.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting JustCJ:

This is so true! They witness real bullying day in and day out and do NOTHING.

Quoting grandmab125:

It's just ridiculous that kids can't be kids any more.  I think the schools have way over reacted for years.  When real bullying is happening, they don't do anything.  Yet a kid draws something with a gun or pretends he's shooting something, and wham, out you go.  They can't even use their fingers to pretend their shooting.  They're not allowed to use their imaginations any more.

My grandson is 7.  His dad is a hunter, as are most of the dads in their small town on the border of WI/IL.  He's a typical little boy, has many Nerf guns, bows and arrows, a real kid's size bow and arrows like hunters use, etc.

He also likes to tell tall tales just like any other little boy.  He makes up stuff, for which his parents punish him for saying.  They look at it as lying....I look at it as typical little boy exaggerating like all kids do, especially boys.

My daughter got a call from the school a couple of weeks ago, because Riley was telling some other little boys "I shoot snakes and lizards".  Well, who knows if the other little guys believed him or not.  They probably figured he was lying anyway.  Well, some little girl overheard this, went home crying to her mother about Riley shooting animals.  The girl's mother called the school, instead of just talking to her daughter and trying to reassure her that Riley was probably just telling tales, and had never shot a gun....which he hasn't.  The teacher called my daughter, who informed her that it wasn't true....that Riley was lieing, and she would certainly be talking to him.  After the lecture on lying, Riley then had to turn over all of his toy guns, bow and arrows, can't play the hunting wii game, or anything like that for several weeks.  It's not because he said the word gun, so much as he lied.  They are having a really hard time trying to explain to him so that he will understand why he can't say the word gun or talk about hunting or anything like that when he's in school, because it frightens some kids.

Boy, the psychiatrists are sure going to be raking in the money, not only because of the Newtown massacre, but because the parents and schools have gone off the deep end about guns.

True.  I understand that they don't want to encourage violent games, or even pretend violent games, but suspension is going too far.  Especially with a 7 year old.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Not letting kids play imaginary games, have a paper gun, talk about your pink Bubbles gun, or making a gun with your fingers - No, that definitely is new - in the past 2 months since Sandy Hook.

Quoting autodidact:

actually in public schools many of children's constitutional rights are suspended. 

and this is not a new development, these kind of policies have been in place for around a decade now, if not longer. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

This is ridiculous.

Instead of ensuring that severely mentally ill people get proper treatment so they don't murder people, some people are more focused on being a meanie about children's toys and games, and violating children's First Amendment freedom of speech. 

29again
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting 143myboys9496:

God forbid schools enforce "zero tolerance" bullying and drug use...

OOPS! I said "God"..Let me rephrase:

It's outrageous schools aren't enforcing "zero tolerance" bullying and drug use..

Quoting 29again:

And this is what the result of "zero tolerance" is.  Children can't be children.  It is only OK to pretend if the teachers want them to pretend.  Public school is killing the imagination of our children!

They have zero tolerance on bullying???  Then why are there kids killing themselves because they are bullied so much? 

Now, they DO enforce the zero tolerance on drug use -- no Midols or Tylenols or the like are ingested while a student is in school, no matter how much they hurt!!!  None of those dangerous OTC meds are allowed in school, none.  So, obviously, pot or anything else is not a drug. 

Sad, isn't it, how they pick and choose which policies to enforce....

It is..I noticed you didn't mention weed...THAT's ok..tho..light up a jibber during study but whatever you do...do NOT take a dayquil.

Huh??  same thing, right?  LOL, whatcha been up to, tonight??  =)

LOL...I knew that'd make you giggle.. =) I'm workin'...till 7am then I get to come back at 7pm for another fun filled night.

LOL!!  Wow, I thought I had long days at work!! 

Yep, long as you're not smoking a Marlboro, or eating a TUMS, you're good!! 

LuvmyAiden
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I don't want to homeschool but I am certainly thinking about alternatives right now. The private christian school close to us is expensive but might be worth it. Public schools have gone to shit and are getting worse. How can we expect great things from kids educated by idiots?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)