Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

COKE AD ENDORSES VANDALISM

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
  • 51 Replies

In a little-noticed or commented-upon Coke ad, the company appears to endorse both a heavily security camera-laden society, and antiwar defacement of property. The ad, titled “Give a Little Bit,” states: “Security cameras around the world … also capture … people stealing kisses, music addicts, honest pickpockets, and potato chip dealers … attacks of friendship, unexpected firemen, and peaceful warriors. Let’s look at the world a little differently.”  

Leave aside the fact that the ad obviously glorifies a society with cameras everywhere – cameras necessitated by crime and violence throughout the world. Instead, focus on the fact that as the screen shows the words “peaceful warriors,” it also shows someone spray-painting a building with the word “PEACE.”

This is not peaceful. It is defacement of property, unless for some bizarre reason the person was spray-painting his or her own property. Criminality, so long as it carries meaningless lefty sloganeering, is endearing to the admakers. And to Coke, apparently.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

This ad could have been really beautiful. It has a nice song and some lovely, heartwarming images. It could have just shown what it does the majority of the ad: wonderful human interactions of people caring for and helping others. That part was great.

But the ad is also disturbing in several ways:

1) The whole premise is that all of these wonderful human interactions are caught on security cameras - which have become ubiquitous and necessary in our world today BECAUSE OF CRIME AND VIOLENCE.

2) The most disturbing sight of all is the person towards the end spray-painting graffiti - committing vandalism - against some business owner's workplace. Who gives a rip if they spray painted the word "PEACE" - on someone else's property? So not peaceful. So illegal. And so much a crime.

So does Coke endorse vandalism? Sure seems like it in this ad. So do criminals, who think other people's property is their trash can.

Coke: Badly done. Badly done indeed.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this

little noticed? little talked about? 
I saw this being discussed on facebook a month or two ago.

how does the ad "glorify" having cameras everywhere?

grandmab125
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

SMH.  What is an "honest pickpocket"?  Last time I heard, it was still robbery.

grandmab125
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Not everyone has facebook.  Also, there are a lot of people in this country and the world who don't watch a lot of tv either, and have never seen it before.

You're just doing your usual "I think I'll pick at a cons post" routine again.

Quoting autodidact:

little noticed? little talked about? 
I saw this being discussed on facebook a month or two ago.

how does the ad "glorify" having cameras everywhere?

grandma B

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this

What I got from it was "big brother" watching me live my life.

frickin awesome.

Are we moving forward yet?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:26 AM

BUMP!

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:30 AM

BUMP!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

....hints of Occupy Wallstreet...

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
3 moms liked this
He wasn't actually a pick pocket...

The guy sees a woman drop her wallet and he picks it up. Then he chases after her to give it to her.

Quoting grandmab125:

SMH.  What is an "honest pickpocket"?  Last time I heard, it was still robbery.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Aside for the creepiness of the fact that cameras are everywhere...

I like this commercial. It is taken from a larger YouTube clip showing random acts of kindness...

As for the graffiti artists, I don't care. Yeah I know many people think I'm a horrible person for that but oh well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)