Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama Administration Has Remained Quiet About Drone Killing American Teenager. Are you Surprised?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM
  • 111 Replies

American drone deaths highlight controversy

...A controversial drone strike took place on Oct. 14, 2011, when 16-year-old Abdulrahman was killed by U.S. forces.

Family of the Denver-born teenager say he had no ties to terrorist organizations and was unjustly targeted because of his father...

...The Obama administration has remained mostly mum regarding Abdulrahman's death, and at times has struggled to explain it. 

Read Entire Article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/05/16856963-american-drone-deaths-highlight-controversy?lite

How do you feel about using Drones to Kill Americans? 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

White House press secretary said Tuesday the administration’s use of drones is “legal,” “ethical,” and “wise,”

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM
5 moms liked this

Anyone remember the cries from Liberals about the "Bush/Cheney civil liberties assault"?   

During the Bush Era~ wasn't Guantanamo was a symbol of right-wing radicalism and example the decay of American values? 

But Obama?  President Obama has not only done many of  the same things as Bush...  Obama has even gone much farther than mere eavesdropping or detention.  Obama  has overstepped  the power of the President to give his administration a pass to kill citizens without due process.

Does anyone see some Hypocrisy here? 

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:04 AM
6 moms liked this

Even though the persons killed were Anwar al Awalki and Samir Khan, his son I believe, they were both US citizens.  If Obama can order a kill on a US citizen without due process in a foreign country, what's to stop him from doing the same to a US citizen here if he decides you're affiliated with Al Qaeda or some other terrorist group?

A group of 11 senators, including dems, have sent a letter to Obama asking about his authority to direct the killing of Americans in the course of counter-terrorism operations.  They have threatened to stall confirmation hearings on several of his appointees until he responds.  They want to actually see the written guidelines, not just take his word for it.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM
5 moms liked this

It is a scary, slippery, slope.

Quoting grandmab125:

Even though the persons killed were Anwar al Awalki and Samir Khan, his son I believe, they were both US citizens.  If Obama can order a kill on a US citizen without due process in a foreign country, what's to stop him from doing the same to a US citizen here if he decides you're affiliated with Al Qaeda or some other terrorist group?

A group of 11 senators, including dems, have sent a letter to Obama asking about his authority to direct the killing of Americans in the course of counter-terrorism operations.  They have threatened to stall confirmation hearings on several of his appointees until he responds.  They want to actually see the written guidelines, not just take his word for it.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM

How do I feel about the use of drones to kill Americans?  Pretty much the same way I feel about the use of drones to kill anybody.

It seems sloppy and often based on bad intel - sometimes deliberately bad.  How many actual bad guys are killed vs innocent civilians?

But oh - I thought Obama was soft on terrorists. 

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
4 moms liked this

No killing of Americans w/drone without trial!!!  The hypocrisy of this administration is mind boggling.  I was wondering where the outrage about this ,from our left wing friends,was?  Where is the outrage?  BHO trying to get away w/more stuff...

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this

I don't understand why the gov't was willing to try foreign terrorists in US Courts, but didn't apply that to American citizens.  The gov't used a drone to kill American citizens.

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It's all politics as usual...they point fingers at each other for the public to see and then it's business as usual behind closed doors for both sides. Don't buy into all the hype coming from any of them...

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM

This is my fear.  It's giving the govt far too much power.  I don't have a problem with it if there is plenty of proven evidence connecting them to terrorism and the attack is to protect many other lives but this seems to be going too far. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN