Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

'Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting'

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 230 Replies

Jim Carrey 'Assault Rifle' Tweet Angers Right

Jim Carrey is taking a seat alongside Bob Costas, Stephen King and others who have lately invited the wrath of the gun lobby.

The comedic actor tweeted on Saturday:

'Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting'

This, of course, did not go over well with those who fear Obama himself will at any minute walk through their front door and take away their guns (except the ones they use for skeet shooting).

Fox Nation referred to the comment as "nasty", while conservative blog WND noted, "'Dumb and Dumber' doesn't begin to cover this one."

Red Alert Politics writer Erin Brown wrote about it at length, decrying the tweet as a "careless remark ... rooted in the shallow, parroted talking points so commonly espoused by liberal elites." She went on to lament the popularity of Carrey's statement: "Sadly, his divisive comment has received more than 3,400 retweets and more than 1,600 'favorites' as of this printing, proving once again that the power wielded by Hollywood celebrities carries a very real influence."

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Replies (1-10):
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM
4 moms liked this

All these people advocating about Guns seem to be those who are in extremely violent movies or ones with guns.  Wow I wonder if they stood up to the director and said I won't use a gun?  I think not

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Jim Carey?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

All these people advocating about Guns seem to be those who are in extremely violent movies or ones with guns.  Wow I wonder if they stood up to the director and said I won't use a gun?  I think not

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  He wasn't in Extreme violent. But the Mask was borderline and Batman he did

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

So your comment in the first reply....although I know Sylvestor Stallone spoke in favor of gun control and maybe that is who you are referring...

Jim said nothing about owning a gun.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Yep.  He wasn't in Extreme violent. But the Mask was borderline and Batman he did

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Did I say he owned a gun?

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You stated he was advocating about guns...

It's more about a specific type of person...not about gun ownership or being anti/pro gun

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Did I say he owned a gun?

marilyn623
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Smh..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
9 moms liked this
Trust me, if anyone should be kept away from guns, it's Jim Carey! He suffers from bi- polarism and chronic clinical depression. Much of what he says is not worth repeating, much less worth a post on Cafemom.
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

What a horrible opinion you have of people suffering from mental health issues. I hope no one close to you has these issues....

Quoting KamWorthy:

Trust me, if anyone should be kept away from guns, it's Jim Carey! He suffers from bi- polarism and chronic clinical depression. Much of what he says is not worth repeating, much less worth a post on Cafemom.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)