Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Keene: AR-15s are the 'musket of today'

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 23 Replies

By David Edwards

Monday, February 4, 2013 13:08 EST

The president of the National Rifle Association (NRA) says that the Second Amendment was designed to protect the right of citizens to own firearms of their choice, and the AR-15 is “the musket of today.”

“This nation was founded as a result of the fact that people – citizens – who had a musket above the fireplace grabbed the gun when an emergency confronted them,” NRA President David Keene told journalist Ginni Thomas, in an interview published by The Daily Caller on Sunday. “For four million Americans, the AR-15 is the musket of today.”

“You hear some of the gun controllers saying, ‘Well, the Second Amendment only applied to muskets, it doesn’t apply to AR-15s or semi-automatic pistols or semi-automatic shotguns, for that matter.’ That was handled by the Supreme Court in the Heller decision. That was the technology of the day. The technology of this day is different, and those guns are as protected by the Constitution today as the single-shot musket in the 1780s and 1790s.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/04/nra-president-david-keene-says-ar-15s-are-the-musket-of-today/

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

What do you expect the president of the NRA to say?  Big shock.

tapies2324
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with Keene.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Please address his point - which is the reason for this post.

What do you think about his statement that the musket - a military style weapon in colonial times, with our advances in technology is equivalent to an AR-15 today? Not a military weapon - a military STYLE weapon. They look similar - but operate very differently.

Quoting PamR:

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Keene is saying that to 4 million people, an AR-15 is the same thing as a musket.

The problem, though, is that to the rest of us (and most certainly to those who would find themselves in a room with someone who has opened fire) they are most certainly not the same weapon.

Whose perspective should control?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Good question.

Not all Americans in colonial days had a musket. Not all Americans have an AR-15.

And you are aware that handguns are responsible for 98% of murders? AR15s? Two percent.

Of course all murders are tragic - but when you address a problem, the most effective way is to address the most frequent root causes.

Which in this case, is mental illness that is not properly treated.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Keene is saying that to 4 million people, an AR-15 is the same thing as a musket.

The problem, though, is that to the rest of us (and most certainly to those who would find themselves in a room with someone who has opened fire) they are most certainly not the same weapon.

Whose perspective should control?

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quoting SallyMJ:

What do you think about his statement that the musket - a military style weapon in colonial times, with our advances in technology is equivalent to an AR-15 today? Not a military weapon - a military STYLE weapon. They look similar - but operate very differently.

Quoting PamR:

No, I don't agree with him.  A musket couldn't fire multiple rounds of ammunition.  It couldn't kill 20 children in a matter of seconds.  The technology is different today, which is why our restrictions and laws need to change, too.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't understand his point. But that's OK.

The AR-15 is semiautomatic just like a handgun - The trigger must be pulled each time to shoot, not like a M-16, where you hold the trigger down once and the gun keeps shooting until all the bullets are gone. Magazines and clips for any gun can be changed quickly. So nobody can shoot an AR-15 any faster than a handgun - they are the same speed.

And you do realize that 98.5% of murders are committed with handguns, right? Only 1.5% with AR-15s. So overall, 985 handguns are actually far more deadly and do more damage than 15 AR-15s.

The real issues are untreated, severe mental illness - and citizens being unable to protect themselves.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting PamR:

No, I don't agree with him.  A musket couldn't fire multiple rounds of ammunition.  It couldn't kill 20 children in a matter of seconds.  The technology is different today, which is why our restrictions and laws need to change, too.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM
The ar 15 is no more than a very well dressed semi auto pistol. It's no different than Cinderella at the ball. Same old simple girl in a designer gown! I'm not sure a musket is very comparable to an ar -15. But I guess in comparison to guns of the different times it is a good comparison
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM

It's essentially a handgun with a long barrel - that is hard to put in your purse.

Love your Cinderella metaphor.  Often a metaphor is more clear than the actual words.

Quoting Fields456:

The ar 15 is no more than a very well dressed semi auto pistol. It's no different than Cinderella at the ball. Same old simple girl in a designer gown! I'm not sure a musket is very comparable to an ar -15. But I guess in comparison to guns of the different times it is a good comparison

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:07 AM
Thank u I felt really clever when I said it lol And yes a handgun with a barrel would be a bitch to out in your purse!!!! Can wait to get my new Springfield Xd subcompact 9 mm next month. Still not much different from any " assault rifle " that we already own. But it will be mine all mine and my CHL will shortly follow

Quoting SallyMJ:

It's essentially a handgun with a long barrel - that is hard to put in your purse.

Love your Cinderella metaphor.  Often a metaphor is more clear than the actual words.

Quoting Fields456:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)