Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Democrat Leader Caught Lying...

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 6 Replies

Harry Reid twice wrong on '$2.6 trillion' cuts in 'This Week' interview.

FactCheck.org called out Senator Harry Reid for being doubly wrong in his claim that Congress has already cut $2.6 trillion from projected future deficits by reducing non-defense programs alone.

The site explained that not only did the legislation he referred to applied to both security and non-security spending, but that a considerable part of the deficit reduction came from tax increases and not spending cuts. 

The worst part? The senator made the same erroneous statement twice. Reid made the affirmations on ABC's "This Week" on Feb. 3rd, were he also added that further deficit reduction should include more tax increases and cuts in military spending. 

"The American people need to understand that it's not as if we've done nothing for the debt. $2.6 trillion, $2.6 trillion already we've made in cuts. And all those cuts have come from non-defense programs. We need to keep our eye on the prize and continue doing something about spending, but I think that what we need to do is do some of the things that Mitt Romney talked about. He said there's some low-hanging fruit; there are a lot of tax loopholes that should be closed. I agree with him. We haven't done that.," he said.

Later on, after host George Stephanopoulos probed the Senator on the issue, he repeated his claim saying,

"I repeat: $2.6 trillion already, all coming from non-defense. If we're going to have a sequester, defense is going to have to do their share"

According to FactCheck.org Reid inflated the $2.6 trillion figure for the show. The senator referred to the same figure as being $100 billion less, three days before on the Senate Floor.

“We have already made nearly $2.5 trillion in historic, bipartisan deficit reduction,” he said on the floor Jan. 31.

http://m.upi.com/story/UPI-5911360174331/

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Reid lie? No way! 

sidesplittinglaughter

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:54 AM
1 mom liked this

"erroneous statement".... rolling on floornow, THAT'S funny!!!

Shocking...a politician lying..especially a dem one...cuz' after all dems are the "honest politicians"....sidesplittinglaughter(couldn't do it without laughing)...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:56 AM
I will give you $20 bucks if you can name one politician who has never told a lie or stretched the truth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:29 AM

I'm shocked actually that FactCheck.org would find a Democrat lying. Because they spank Republicans almost three times as often as Democrats. They essentially worked for Obama in this past election.

So was it"Pants on Fire" like FactCheck.org often judges Republicans? Or did the Dems get off with a hand slap like  "Partly or Mostly True, etc.?

And you'll love this: You can find on their website their criteria on which statements to fact check. It's not objective. Rather, they select statements to fact check that their researchers find "interesting".  So apparently they find far more statements by Republicans "interesting" than those of Democrats.

Quoting jcrew6:

FactCheck.org called out Senator Harry Reid for being doubly wrong in his claim that Congress has already cut $2.6 trillion from projected future deficits by reducing non-defense programs alone.

The site explained that not only did the legislation he referred to applied to both security and non-security spending, but that a considerable part of the deficit reduction came from tax increases and not spending cuts. 

The worst part? The senator made the same erroneous statement twice. Reid made the affirmations on ABC's "This Week" on Feb. 3rd, were he also added that further deficit reduction should include more tax increases and cuts in military spending. 

"The American people need to understand that it's not as if we've done nothing for the debt. $2.6 trillion, $2.6 trillion already we've made in cuts. And all those cuts have come from non-defense programs. We need to keep our eye on the prize and continue doing something about spending, but I think that what we need to do is do some of the things that Mitt Romney talked about. He said there's some low-hanging fruit; there are a lot of tax loopholes that should be closed. I agree with him. We haven't done that.," he said.

Later on, after host George Stephanopoulos probed the Senator on the issue, he repeated his claim saying,

"I repeat: $2.6 trillion already, all coming from non-defense. If we're going to have a sequester, defense is going to have to do their share"

According to FactCheck.org Reid inflated the $2.6 trillion figure for the show. The senator referred to the same figure as being $100 billion less, three days before on the Senate Floor.

“We have already made nearly $2.5 trillion in historic, bipartisan deficit reduction,” he said on the floor Jan. 31.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Fact check judges facts not political sides. They judge both sides

Quoting SallyMJ:

I'm shocked actually that FactCheck.org would find a Democrat lying. Because they spank Republicans almost three times as often as Democrats. They essentially worked for Obama in this past election.

So was it"Pants on Fire" like FactCheck.org often judges Republicans? Or did the Dems get off with a hand slap like  "Partly or Mostly True, etc.?

And you'll love this: You can find on their website their criteria on which statements to fact check. It's not objective. Rather, they select statements to fact check that their researchers find "interesting".  So apparently they find far more statements by Republicans "interesting" than those of Democrats.

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember when I was a kid and Jimmy Carter was elected, he promised he would never lie to the American people.  My dad said "Well, Jimmy Carter just told a lie".

Quoting bellawomen:

I will give you $20 bucks if you can name one politician who has never told a lie or stretched the truth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN