Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Eric Cantor says undocumented children should be offered citizenship

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 41 Replies

Eric Cantor says undocumented children should be offered citizenship

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) listens to his introduction before speaking at the American Enterprise …

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., said on Tuesday that the children of illegal immigrants should be granted a path to citizenship, providing a clue about how the GOP-controlled House may tackle immigration reform this year.

"A good place to start is with the kids," Cantor said during his speech at the American Enterprise Institute. "One of the great founding principles of our country was that children would not be punished for the mistakes of their parents. It is time to provide an opportunity for legal residence and citizenship for those who were brought to this country as children and who know no other home."

Earlier on Tuesday, Cantor declined to endorse a bipartisan immigration reform blueprint in the Senate, which calls for a gradual path to citizenship for most of the nation's 11 million illegal immigrants. Whether to legalize most of that group is likely to be a sticking point between Democrats and Republicans as they hash out a reform plan.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its a great idea.  These kids didn't come over on their own and had no control.  I don't think the parents should be offered the same though.  It rewards illegal behavior.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I think illegals that are already here and have been for some time should get a chance to become legal..unless they have commited other crimess besides coming here illegaly.I mean really it's our stupid government who has not been fully enforcing our immigration laws for years that has caused this huge influx of illegals.The children cannot be held responsible at all I def. agree there.We should all be harder on our government to follow and enforce our laws...it is their job to enforce our immigration laws.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Good for him.  It's the right thing to do.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

When brought here as children, I agree. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

They do not know any other home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM
5 moms liked this

Guess my opinion is very different. Children born of illegals in the U.S. should NOT be U.S. citizens. Children brought here by illegal parents should also NOT be U.S. citizens. All should be sent back to their homelands until they come here through proper channels.

Do you realize how much more these millions of illegals are now and will cost us? bhocare--free; foodstamps--free; college--free; housing--free. No other country allows illegals to get everything for free--they are sent back to their homelands.

batmansgirl
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you.

Quoting gsprofval:

Guess my opinion is very different. Children born of illegals in the U.S. should NOT be U.S. citizens. Children brought here by illegal parents should also NOT be U.S. citizens. All should be sent back to their homelands until they come here through proper channels.

Do you realize how much more these millions of illegals are now and will cost us? bhocare--free; foodstamps--free; college--free; housing--free. No other country allows illegals to get everything for free--they are sent back to their homelands.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Every child born in the United States are US citizens regardless of what you and your racist buds want to beleive. If your theory were the case no-one outside of Native Americans should be citizens.

When someone is born here this is their homeland - how disgusting of you to say otherwise.

Quoting gsprofval:

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I actually think People who think like this should be deported.

Quoting gsprofval:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
How sad...

They didn't CHOOSE to come here or be born here. THIS is their home. The only one they've ever known.

This country wouldn't exist if all the children born here to IMMIGRANTS were sent back to their "homelands"... Where would you go? Europe? Asia?

Quoting gsprofval:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN