Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Paul Ryan on Banning Assault Weapons [2 min. VIDEO]

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

POLITICS

Rep. Paul Ryan at a inaugural WSJ breakfast weighs in on gun-control policies, 

1/23/2013 5:29:51 PM2:31

http://live.wsj.com/video/paul-ryan-on-banning-assault-weapons/FCE4DE81-F5F8-4996-9798-5CEBDFFA43ED.html#!FCE4DE81-F5F8-4996-9798-5CEBDFFA43ED
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Interesting. I've  never heard him talk about this before. 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure if I watched the same video as the one on your link ~ couldn't get that one to work, but I agree with what he said as far as banning guns doesn't work. The problem isn't the guns, it's criminals and mentally ill people who have the highest percentages of incidents involving gun crimes as well as suicide. Banning guns won't do anything to address crime or mental health.

I do like the fact that he is familiar with guns, grew up with them and hunted, and at least knows what he is talking about ... which I didn't see any signs of in most of the people sitting around that table with him. I'd just be happy if more people in office had the same knowledge and familiarity with guns so that an intelligent solution can be found. Knee jerk bans and national databases for registered gun owners don't do anything, because those are not the people running around shooting at other people.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM

How could you tell the participants didn't know anything about guns? Since they were at this Wall Street Journal gun control seminar, they at least were interested. I didn't know that much about guns before Sandy Hook. Know a LOT now.

What I liked about what Paul Ryan said is that we need to have a civil discussion, and that legislation needs to be shown to actually work, not bringing back the same old laws that have had no discernible effect. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

I'm not sure if I watched the same video as the one on your link ~ couldn't get that one to work, but I agree with what he said as far as banning guns doesn't work. The problem isn't the guns, it's criminals and mentally ill people who have the highest percentages of incidents involving gun crimes as well as suicide. Banning guns won't do anything to address crime or mental health.

I do like the fact that he is familiar with guns, grew up with them and hunted, and at least knows what he is talking about ... which I didn't see any signs of in most of the people sitting around that table with him. I'd just be happy if more people in office had the same knowledge and familiarity with guns so that an intelligent solution can be found. Knee jerk bans and national databases for registered gun owners don't do anything, because those are not the people running around shooting at other people.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Is this the same video you watched? I tried copying your link but couldn't get the video to open, so I went searching for a different one. I agreed with his statements that we need to work together to get something that actually works in place instead of the same old laws that didn't help a bit when it came to Columbine, etc.

There was some banter about a radio talk show host he had discussed this with when he was first elected, but the others couldn't seem to understand why another ban like the one that didn't work wasn't worth talking about. He was very clear that the people involved in mass shootings need better mental health care, better screening, and that the gun show loophole needs to be closed. I agree with all of those things ... just not the rest of what some people want to do. Making gun manufacturers responsible for what a criminal does?? That's like blaming the auto companies if someone gets drunk and drives a car they manufactured. Smh.

Quoting SallyMJ:

How could you tell the participants didn't know anything about guns? Since they were at this Wall Street Journal gun control seminar, they at least were interested. I didn't know that much about guns before Sandy Hook. Know a LOT now.

What I liked about what Paul Ryan said is that we need to have a civil discussion, and that legislation needs to be shown to actually work, not bringing back the same old laws that have had no discernible effect. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 AM

It's lyin Ryan. He's not  fit to speak about how to wring a wet rag, let alone gun control. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:00 AM

My video on this post should work for you. I tested it out myself, and it worked for me.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Is this the same video you watched? I tried copying your link but couldn't get the video to open, so I went searching for a different one. I agreed with his statements that we need to work together to get something that actually works in place instead of the same old laws that didn't help a bit when it came to Columbine, etc.

There was some banter about a radio talk show host he had discussed this with when he was first elected, but the others couldn't seem to understand why another ban like the one that didn't work wasn't worth talking about. He was very clear that the people involved in mass shootings need better mental health care, better screening, and that the gun show loophole needs to be closed. I agree with all of those things ... just not the rest of what some people want to do. Making gun manufacturers responsible for what a criminal does?? That's like blaming the auto companies if someone gets drunk and drives a car they manufactured. Smh.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

he made the case that SHOULD be getting talked about.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I very rarely get any videos posted here to play ~ mostly due to my own security settings I imagine. I can usually locate them by pulling up their properties or doing a search based on the title. I'm not about to open my system up beyond where it is right now ... spent too many years managing a computer store to even play with the crud that's out there.

Quoting SallyMJ:

My video on this post should work for you. I tested it out myself, and it worked for me.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Farmlady09:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I actually have been posting them a lot, and they seem to work.

It worked when I tested it.

Do you think it might be something with your computer? Can you watch videos on Youtube?

Quoting Farmlady09:

I very rarely get any videos posted here to play ~ mostly due to my own security settings I imagine. I can usually locate them by pulling up their properties or doing a search based on the title. I'm not about to open my system up beyond where it is right now ... spent too many years managing a computer store to even play with the crud that's out there.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Farmlady09:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I don't know - I can't open that one!

This one has some piano music at the beginning and it is a Wall Street Journal video.And it's about 2 minutes or so. How about yours?

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)