Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How do you feel about gay military widows not receiving the same benefits as straight ones?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 8 Replies

Soldier Dies of Breast Cancer But Widow & Their Child Aren't Eligible for Benefits (VIDEO)

Posted by Maressa Brown on February 11, 2013 

charlie morganAfter a long battle against stage 4 breast cancer, New Hampshire National Guard soldier Charlie Morgan passed away on Sunday morning. She will be remembered as a fighter ... not just because she was a soldier. But because she also made it a personal mission to try to overturn the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). The law hit home for her -- because she was gay -- and now, even after her passing, will create problems for her widow, Karen ...

Despite the fact that Charlie and Karen were legally married and had a 5-year-old daughter named Casey together, Karen will receive NONE of the survivor benefits bestowed upon a straight military widow. Can you believe that?!

What makes this even more heartwrenching is that Charlie deeply understood how valuable government benefits could be to a military widow ... She herself lost her soldier father in the Vietnam War when she was a kid, and her mom was able to pay for food and keep a roof over their heads thanks to death benefits.

So, when Charlie voluntarily stopped chemo last April, so she and Karen could take Casey to Disney World, visit family, and try to make her final months the best they could be, she also made a wish ... 

She told The Washington Post in November:

I’m praying that [the Supreme Court takes DOMA] up soon. It’s my motivation for staying alive. I really need to be alive when they actually do overturn DOMA, otherwise Karen is not guaranteed anything.

But the Supreme Court will not hear a case involving and potentially overturning DOMA until next month ... So, everything's sort of up in the air.

Really, how on earth is that a reality that sits well with any American? A woman who bravely served her country, who valiantly fought cancer, and who stood up for what she believed is right leaves behind a widow and a child ... and the only reason they aren't entitled to death benefits is something so blatantly discriminatory, you'd think we were living in the 19th century. It's outrageous. With hope, the Morgans' story serves an illustrated example to the Supreme Court -- and all Americans -- that this injustice is simply something that won't be stood for any longer.

Here's a video about DOMA featuring Charlie before she passed away ...

How do you feel about gay military widows not receiving the same benefits as straight ones?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
..MoonShine..
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM
This breaks my heart. That video made me cry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Very sad...It's just not right to not give her the same benefits...Shame on the miitary...

momov4888
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The Supreme Court has stated in more than one case that the 'right to privacy', while not enumerated in the amendments IS a right we all have. Therefore, to make make a financial choice based on what happens between two people IS a violation of the Constitution. We are all equal.

In the Constitution, you will not find the word 'MARRIAGE' one time.  Many believe the Constitution outlines what a couple is meant to be, therefore by law, it's a man and woman. NOT.

The Framers purposely left certain details out as they knew this document couldn't remain fixed, but had to be a living document, meaning it would have to be adjusted as society changed. Absolutists reject that, but if you think, they're getting in their own way.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I thought this was fixed!! This surely will be with the open allowance of gays serving in the military.

I will bet she will need to petition, but will be grandfathered into the benefits.

Trollslayer
by Terica on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I hope her widow keeps fighting for what she deserves. They were legally married.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Completely unacceptable.
autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM

unconscionable 

Trollslayer
by Terica on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SallyMJ:

I thought this was fixed!! This surely will be with the open allowance of gays serving in the military.

I will bet she will need to petition, but will be grandfathered into the benefits.

I hope she is Grandfathered in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN