Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama’s State of the Union Address & the 13 Lies He Told - Did you watch? What did you think?

Cafe Steph
Today at 11:11 AM
What are you doing this weekend? - CafeMom

I'm going to spend some time with my family this weekend, starting with Grandmother's funeral, then celebrating my

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Obama’s State of the Union Address & the 13 Lies He Told

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 13, 2013

The State of the Union Address 2013 was on tonight, but if you missed it, have no fear -- I’m here to recap it for you. It can be hard to keep everything the president says straight, especially when he says things that directly contradict with other things he’s said or done in the past. So just for fun, let’s take some of his best lines of the night and match them up against his record, shall we?

There were too many shady statements to mention them all here or I’d bore you as silly as if you had actually watched the speech. For the sake of brevity, let’s just go over the top 13 things he said that made me snicker, guffaw, or face-palm.

1. On what built America:

It is our unfinished task to restore the basic bargain that built this country -- the idea that if you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or who you love.

Huh. What happened to you didn’t build that? Last summer, Barack Obama said, “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.” Specifically -- government. Because no businesses ever existed before the Federal Highway Administration.

2. On Medicare:

And those of us who care deeply about programs like Medicare must embrace the need for modest reforms – otherwise, our retirement programs will crowd out the investments we need for our children, and jeopardize the promise of a secure retirement for future generations.

Modest reforms? Obamacare cuts Medicare by $716 billion. That’s hardly modest.

3. Speaking of Obamacare …

Already, the Affordable Care Act is helping to slow the growth of health care costs.

Then why are people’s insurance rates going up?

More from The Stir: 'They Deserve a Vote': Obama Honors Gun Violence Victims in SOTU Address (VIDEO)

4. About that budgeting:

Let's agree, right here, right now, to keep the people's government open, pay our bills on time, and always uphold the full faith and credit of the United States of America.

The Democrat-controlled Senate hasn’t passed a budget in almost four years. How long has Obama been in office again? Since we’re on the subject, I feel the need to point out that under Obama’s leadership, our country’s credit rating has been downgraded for the first time in history.

5. On Oil:

After years of talking about it, we are finally poised to control our own energy future. We produce more oil at home than we have in 15 years.

Yeah. Thanks to leases made by President Bush before Obama took office. President Obama has done nothing but hinder domestic oil production by instituting drilling bans, shutting down the Keystone Pipeline, and blocking access to oil, among other things.

6. On Housing:

Part of our rebuilding effort must also involve our housing sector. Today, our housing market is finally healing from the collapse of 2007. Home prices are rising at the fastest pace in six years, home purchases are up nearly 50 percent, and construction is expanding again.

Home prices are rising at the fastest level since 2007 because the falling prices have finally stagnated. Tell me -- is your house worth as much as it was in 2007? Mine sure isn’t.

7. On preschool:

Tonight, I propose working with states to make high-quality preschool available to every child in America.

You know, because state-run schools are so awesome. *insert eye roll here*

8. Run for the border:

Real reform means strong border security, and we can build on the progress my Administration has already made – putting more boots on the southern border than at any time in our history, and reducing illegal crossings to their lowest levels in 40 years.

It’s almost kind of sad that the economy is so bad that illegals aren’t even bothering to sneak into the country for work anymore. Also, I have a hard time reconciling this statement with the whole Fast and Furious thing. Just saying.

9. Raising the minimum wage:

Tonight, let's declare that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty, and raise the federal minimum wage to $9.00 an hour.

Let’s raise it to $50 an hour! Prosperity for everyone! Wait, businesses can’t afford that? What about the ones that can’t afford to pay $9? They should go out of business? But then what will those people do for jobs? Oh, never mind. Food stamps.

10. On foreign relations:

All this work depends on the courage and sacrifice of those who serve in dangerous places at great personal risk – our diplomats, our intelligence officers, and the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.

RIP Chris Stevens, Sean Smith, Tyrone Woods, and Glen Doherty. You guys made the ultimate sacrifice in Benghazi.

11. On gun control:

Just three weeks ago, [Hadiya Pendleton] was here, in Washington, with her classmates, performing for her country at my inauguration. And a week later, she was shot and killed in a Chicago park after school, just a mile away from my house. … Hadiya's parents, Nate and Cleo, are in this chamber tonight, along with more than two dozen Americans whose lives have been torn apart by gun violence.

By all means, let’s enact strict gun control laws like the ones that have in Chicago, where this murder took place … oh wait.

12. On voting:

We should follow the example of a North Miami woman named Desiline Victor. When she arrived at her polling place, she was told the wait to vote might be six hours … Desiline is 102 years old.

What the heck is wrong with the people of North Miami that they wouldn’t let this poor woman cut in line? Have some respect for the elderly, people!

13. Final thoughts:

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

Finally. We agree. God bless this great nation. The state of the union might not be any better than when Obama took office four years ago, but my prayer life has never been stronger.

Did you watch the State of the Union Address? What did you think?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
6 moms liked this

This article, in my opinion, is spot on.  We are thought to be so obviously ignorant that he believes we believe his propaganda and lies.  He couldn't be more wrong.  Thank you for posting this.  

crazyblondemom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup just 13 more reasons why Obama was a poor choice by the Americans who voted for him. Though I doubt Romney would have been better. Both of them suck

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM
5 moms liked this

It was hard to watch because my lie-o-meter went off so many times, it hurt my ears.

Marco Rubio, on the other hand, was a pleasure to watch because he actually made a lot of sense.

Great post.

Billiejeens
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
3 moms liked this

President Barack Obama's State of the Union address included few new or unexpected proposals, but many factually incorrect or misleading assertions. Here are the lowlights.

"Corporate profits have rocketed to all-time highs - but for more than a decade, wages and incomes have barely budged." Wages and incomes may not always be the best measurement, because they leave out benefits, which have increased overall compensation over several decades. Regardless, Obama chose his timeframe carefully, because over the past four years, middle class income has actually declined.

"In 2011, Congress passed a law saying that if both parties couldn't agree on a plan to reach our deficit goal, about a trillion dollars' worth of budget cuts would automatically go into effect this year." Obama is referring to the sequester. He omits the fact that he (or his White House) proposed the sequester, and he personally signed it, with the hope of using it to push Republicans into passing higher tax rates on high earners.

"Over the last few years, both parties have worked together to reduce the deficit by more than $2.5 trillion." Both Obama and Senate Majority Leader Harry Read have used this claim, but it's not true. As FactCheck.org noted recently, the figure includes over $1 trillion in spending cuts that "have yet to materialize." It also includes $500 billion in projected reduced interest--not spending cuts or tax increases--and deficits remain high.

"Already, the Affordable Care Act is helping to slow the growth of health care costs." The cost of health care has continued to grow, albeit less quickly--but the recession is a big part of the story. People are spending less because they can afford less. Obamacare has already made health insurance premiums more expensive, and Obamacare does not change the fundamental incentive problems that drive costs in U.S. health care.

"Let me repeat--nothing I'm proposing tonight should increase our deficit by a single dime." This is a repeated promise (as well as a repeated metaphor: Obama also used the "single dime" phrase to in describing tax cuts in his stimulus). Obama broke that promise most spectacularly in Obamacare, which only "balances" due to accounting tricks and is almost certain to cost more than originally expected--net as well as gross.

"We have doubled the distance our cars will go on a gallon of gas, and the amount of renewable energy we generate from sources like wind and solar - with tens of thousands of good, American jobs to show for it." As I demonstrated in my recap of Obama's 2009 address, the supply of renewable energy sources in the U.S. rose only about 10% in Obama's first three years in office--very far from doubling.

"Heat waves, droughts, wildfires, and floods--all are now more frequent and intense. We can choose to believe that Superstorm Sandy, and the most severe drought in decades, and the worst wildfires some states have ever seen were all just a freak coincidence. Or we can choose to believe in the overwhelming judgment of science - and act before it's too late." Or we can call it "weather," which is far closer to the truth than this scary story.

"That's why my Administration will keep cutting red tape and speeding up new oil and gas permits." In order to "keep" doing something, you have to have been doing it already. As Mitt Romney argued very ably in the presidential debates, the Obama administration has tried to slow oil and gas permitting on public lands, while taking credit for (or obstructing) much of the energy boom that has taken place on private lands.

"But taxpayers cannot continue to subsidize the soaring cost of higher education." The fact that taxpayers continue subsidizing the cost of higher education is part of the reason that the cost of education keeps rising. Obama did not mention the crisis in student loan delinquency, which increased support from the government for tuition costs has not been enough to prevent. The fundamental problem is youth unemployment.

"[M]ore boots on the southern border than at any time in our history, and reducing illegal crossings to their lowest levels in 40 years." Many of the "boots" Obama deployed to border states did not actually go to the border, less than half of which is actually secure. Illegal border crossings have decreased--but it is almost universally agreed that the cause is our poor economy, not enforcement--which Obama has effectively gutted.

"And I ask this Congress to declare that women should earn a living equal to their efforts, and finally pass the Paycheck Fairness Act this year." This is a rather amusing promise, since Obama's support for the Lily Ledbetter Act in 2009, which was meant to have guaranteed "equal pay," was a major boast in his re-election campaign. Did he fail to make pay equal when he said he had? No--he just needs the issue to boost support.

"Tonight, let's declare that in the wealthiest nation on Earth, no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty, and raise the federal minimum wage to $9.00 an hour." That means, of course, that fewer people will be working full-time, or even part-time. Hiking the minimum wage is at odds with increasing jobs, and hurts minorities and young people worst, damaging their future employment prospects significantly.

"We'll give new tax credits to businesses that hire and invest." A rather vague promise that sounds like a good idea. It's not a factual mistake by itself--except that it likely contradicts his earlier promise on tax reform: "The American people deserve a tax code that helps small businesses spend less time filling out complicated forms, and more time expanding and hiring." That means fewer special rules, deductions and tricks.

"Today, the organization [Al Qaeda] that attacked us on 9/11 is a shadow of its former self." It takes a special kind of chutzpah to say that, five months after a terror attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that claimed the lives of four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador. Obama acknowledges that the threat continues--it is "evolving," he says, in a curious use of the word--but to declare victory, without mentioning Benghazi?

"The regime in North Korea must know that they will only achieve security and prosperity by meeting their international obligations." Since when has the North Korean regime ever cared about prosperity? This marks the third State of the Union address in which Obama has mentioned North Korea (he did so in 2010 and 2011 as well)--and each time Obama has congratulated himself for his administration's policy on the issue.

"As long as I'm Commander-in-Chief, we will do whatever we must to protect those who serve their country abroad, and we will maintain the best military in the world. We will invest in new capabilities, even as we reduce waste and wartime spending." Even before the sequester, the Obama administration has slashed defense, reducing our military capabilities to the point where we can no longer plan to fight a two-front war.

"That's why, tonight, I'm announcing a non-partisan commission to improve the voting experience in America." Not the accuracy or fairness or transparency of the process, but the experience. The chances that Obama's commission will recommend photo ID for voters, or that such a recommendation would be adopted, are zero. In fact, the Obama administration has stridently opposed states' own efforts to improve voting in America.

"Police chiefs are asking our help to get weapons of war and massive ammunition magazines off our streets, because they are tired of being outgunned." These terms suit Obama's gun control agenda, but they are grossly misleading. So-called "weapons of war"--i.e. assault rifles, machine guns and the like--are already banned, and proposals on the table to reduce magazine size target relatively small clips, not "massive" ones.

lucsch
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I listened to it. I can't stand to look at his lying face. When he first ran for President, I had so much hope for what he could do. Then, the next 4 years happened, and he lied so many times to us. Now, I can't believe anything he says.

The movie 2016 said it all and made his actions make sense for me.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM
5 moms liked this

You're right.  I didn't trust him from the beginning, but since he won that first time, I really had to make myself give him benefit of the doubt. There are no benefits to be given him now.

Quoting lucsch:

I listened to it. I can't stand to look at his lying face. When he first ran for President, I had so much hope for what he could do. Then, the next 4 years happened, and he lied so many times to us. Now, I can't believe anything he says.

The movie 2016 said it all and made his actions make sense for me.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't watch it.  I already knew that lies would be coming from his mouth, he is a politician after all. 

Billiejeens
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Fort Hood hero: President Obama ‘betrayed’ shooting victims A little food for thought for tonight's SOTU By: Dan Spencer (Diary) | February 12th, 2013 at 03:31 PM | 4 RESIZE: AAA ABC News reports that Sergeant Kimberly Munley, one of the two then police Sergeants who stopped the deadly shooting at Fort Hood on November 5, 2009, says President Obama broke the promise he made to her that the victims would be well taken care of: “Betrayed is a good word. Not to the least little bit have the victims been taken care of. In fact they’ve been neglected.” During the shooting that many consider a terrorist attack, Major Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist and a practicing Muslim of Palestinian descent, shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he opened fire and mercilessly shot 44 soldiers preparing to deploy to Iraq and one civilian killing 13. Munley was shot three times in her confrontation with Hasan. You can watch video of the shootings aftermath here. Initially, Obama tried to capitalize on the heroic actions of Munley and her partner Sergeant Mark Todd. They were included as guests in the First Lady’s box for the 2010 State of the Union address. A few months later they were again honored by Obama at the 2010 National Association of Police Organizations TOP COPS award winners ceremony in the Rose Garden. Despite the fact that there is extensive evidence that Hasan was in communication with al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki prior to the attack, the victims were denied Purple Hearts and the government shooting has been treating the incident as “workplace violence” instead of “combat related” or terrorism. You can read a redacted report on the FBI’s investigation of Hasan’s ties to al-Awlaki here. Al-Awlaki was killed in a U.S. drone attack in Yemen on Sept. 30, 2011. To add insult to her injuries Munley was laid off from her job with the base’s civilian police force last year. Last November, Munley and 147 other plaintiffs sued the U.S. government, Hassan and the estate of Anwar al-Awlaki seeking damages and a ruling that the shooting was a terrorist attack. Such a finding would clear the way for them to receive benefits available to those who injuries are classified as “combat related,” which aren’t available as the result of workplace violence. You can read the lawsuit here. According to ABC News, former Sgt. Munley now believes Obama used her for political advantage in arranging for her to sit next to Michelle Obama during the President’s State of the Union address in 2010. Munley says she wants to help the others who were shot that day and continue to suffer. “We got tired of being neglected. So this was our last resort and I’m not ashamed of it a bit.” Something to think about as you watch tonight’s State of the Union political theater with its shooting victim props.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Sergeant Munley was just another prop used by Obama.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Fort Hood hero: President Obama ‘betrayed’ shooting victims A little food for thought for tonight's SOTU By: Dan Spencer (Diary) | February 12th, 2013 at 03:31 PM | 4 RESIZE: AAA ABC News reports that Sergeant Kimberly Munley, one of the two then police Sergeants who stopped the deadly shooting at Fort Hood on November 5, 2009, says President Obama broke the promise he made to her that the victims would be well taken care of: “Betrayed is a good word. Not to the least little bit have the victims been taken care of. In fact they’ve been neglected.” During the shooting that many consider a terrorist attack, Major Nidal Hasan, an Army psychiatrist and a practicing Muslim of Palestinian descent, shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he opened fire and mercilessly shot 44 soldiers preparing to deploy to Iraq and one civilian killing 13. Munley was shot three times in her confrontation with Hasan. You can watch video of the shootings aftermath here. Initially, Obama tried to capitalize on the heroic actions of Munley and her partner Sergeant Mark Todd. They were included as guests in the First Lady’s box for the 2010 State of the Union address. A few months later they were again honored by Obama at the 2010 National Association of Police Organizations TOP COPS award winners ceremony in the Rose Garden. Despite the fact that there is extensive evidence that Hasan was in communication with al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki prior to the attack, the victims were denied Purple Hearts and the government shooting has been treating the incident as “workplace violence” instead of “combat related” or terrorism. You can read a redacted report on the FBI’s investigation of Hasan’s ties to al-Awlaki here. Al-Awlaki was killed in a U.S. drone attack in Yemen on Sept. 30, 2011. To add insult to her injuries Munley was laid off from her job with the base’s civilian police force last year. Last November, Munley and 147 other plaintiffs sued the U.S. government, Hassan and the estate of Anwar al-Awlaki seeking damages and a ruling that the shooting was a terrorist attack. Such a finding would clear the way for them to receive benefits available to those who injuries are classified as “combat related,” which aren’t available as the result of workplace violence. You can read the lawsuit here. According to ABC News, former Sgt. Munley now believes Obama used her for political advantage in arranging for her to sit next to Michelle Obama during the President’s State of the Union address in 2010. Munley says she wants to help the others who were shot that day and continue to suffer. “We got tired of being neglected. So this was our last resort and I’m not ashamed of it a bit.” Something to think about as you watch tonight’s State of the Union political theater with its shooting victim props.

Billiejeens
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Agreed, Of Course.

Quoting rocketracer:

Sergeant Munley was just another prop used by Obama.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)