Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

TWICE AS MANY MURDERS WITH HANDS AND FEET AS 'ASSAULT RIFLES'

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

"Assault weapons" have become the focal point of the White House’s gun control efforts in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre. But each year, more Americans are murdered using knives, fists and feet, and blunt instruments.

Approximately 6,220 people were murdered using handguns – firearms which will not be addressed in the White House’s sponsored legislation. So-called assault rifles were used in just 323 murders – about one-fifth of knife murders, and one half of bodily appendage murders.

Nonetheless, President Obama will continue to press forward with his anti-assault rifle agenda. Incrementalism, after all, has to start somewhere.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM
3 moms liked this

That's because he doesn't give a rat's patootie about people, about stopping (or even lowering the murder rate), or even about guns. He just wants control ... and it's darned difficult to control an armed populace.

I just wish we could sit him in a corner wearing a dunce hat (literally instead of just in photoshopped images!). If he is any example of a Constitutional scholar, it's no wonder that so many lower scoring plebes can't figure the document out. Smh!

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow, at the rate we're going, will there be anything left to outlaw?

knives, guns, rocks, hands, feet, white men...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have."---Thomas Jefferson

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It's all about starting out with the "assault" rifle ban and then taking it further.  That is my main reason for being against this ban.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Before you know it, we will all have government-dictated prosthetic hands and feet. But you know, those could do even more damage than hands and feet!

Gives a new meaning to the word "right-handed".

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Wow, at the rate we're going, will there be anything left to outlaw?

knives, guns, rocks, hands, feet, white men...

autodidact
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM

but according to the article, hands and feet are more deadly. and you already have those. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

That's because he doesn't give a rat's patootie about people, about stopping (or even lowering the murder rate), or even about guns. He just wants control ... and it's darned difficult to control an armed populace.

I just wish we could sit him in a corner wearing a dunce hat (literally instead of just in photoshopped images!). If he is any example of a Constitutional scholar, it's no wonder that so many lower scoring plebes can't figure the document out. Smh!

-Celestial-
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
How many mass murders have they caused?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joey125
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Stupid comparison, just plain stupid  Assault or military style weapons capable of firing 30 plus rounds are not needed by civilians.  Unless you are planning to start a civil war, for goodness sake people get a grip 

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

That's true ~ and all four are well trained and lethal.

They also don't bear up well if the body they are attached to can be shot by weapons that I don't have/am not allowed to have because either the government or criminals do have them.

So, I prefer to keep the weapons I was born with AND my guns. If the police and the government are allowed to carry/own them, there is no reason other than control to take them away from the citizens.

Quoting autodidact:

but according to the article, hands and feet are more deadly. and you already have those. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM

But, then again - the OP didn't discuss titanium prosthetics. I'm pretty sure they are harder than skin. But you are right, not everyone would have them. I was just trying to be inclusive to those who have no hands or feet. Just to be fair.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Farmlady09:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Not the point.

The point is MURDERS.

Do you think the hundreds of murders in just Chicago alone every year are not as bad as the murders in Sandy Hook? Maybe because the Chicago residents are generally black, and the Sandy Hook victims white?

Here's a way to think about it: Chicago has two Sandy Hooks a month. We need to address Sandy Hook, but we sure as hell need to address Chicago, our generation's killing fields.

Quoting -Celestial-:

How many mass murders have they caused?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN