Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fox news mocks Desiline Victor, 102 year old woman that received standing ovation at the SOTU

Posted by   + Show Post

Desiline Victor, a 102-year old woman, received a standing ovation during the State of the Union on Tuesday for her resolve to vote. Fox News hosts Brian Kilmeade, Martha MacCallum and Bill Hemmer, however, wondered what the "big deal" was.

Victor made two trips and waited three hours to vote in Miami in November. President Obama spoke about the need to protect voting rights during his State of the Union address on Tuesday, and pointed to Victor, who was there as a guest of Michelle Obama, as an example.

Kilmeade, MacCallum and Hemmer did not seem to think she deserved one, though. Speaking on Kilmeade's radio show on Thursday, MacCallum said that the issue had no place in the State of the Union because it could be handled on the "municipal level… Get the town council on that one."

"How long was she on line?" Hemmer asked.

"What's the big deal? She was happy," MacCallum argued. "She waited on line, she was happy that she voted."

"They held her up as a victim!" Hemmer alleged. "What was she the victim of? Rashes on the bottom of her feet?"

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

Struck out once again.  The GOP didn't do anything to make it difficult for this woman to vote.  It's up to the cities and villages to have enough polling places so people don't have to wait in line for hours.  Besides, ever hear of early voting?

Quoting mikiemom:

Well yes Faux News makes fun of the fact that the GOP made it difficult to vote. She got the last laugh, she voted and they lost - they can keep laughing it shows us who they truly are.

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Why don't you post the video, so we can see the context of the dialogue, instead of bits and pieces? 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but I have my doubts that a 106 year old woman can stand in line 6 hours to do anything.  When they all were clapping for her, she looked like she was going to stand up, then thought better of it.  We all know that Obama always uses totally fabricated stories about people in his speeches, and often has them in the audience or standing near by.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM
3 moms liked this

You should be ashamed for not making an issue about her standing in line to the locals.  But instead you post some BS stuff about FOX.  Obama also should be ashamed for manipulating the situation and using Victor during his speech.  He always does this and shame on him.  Just like he has used people in the past and then off cameras he turns his back on them.  He did this with the minority woman who was out of a job, he did this with the family members of Benghazi and he did this with the families of the fallen agents of de@. 

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Obama has a pattern.....he used the victims of the Ft Hood terrorist attack as props. 

Quoting pvtjokerus:

You should be ashamed for not making an issue about her standing in line to the locals.  But instead you post some BS stuff about FOX.  Obama also should be ashamed for manipulating the situation and using Victor during his speech.  He always does this and shame on him.  Just like he has used people in the past and then off cameras he turns his back on them.  He did this with the minority woman who was out of a job, he did this with the family members of Benghazi and he did this with the families of the fallen agents of de@. 

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting soonergirl980:

I don't find it a big deal either.  She got to vote.

I think we're missing part of the story here.

I have not looked it up, but here's my guess.

There was a lot of concern, before the election, that the GOP we hastily getting measures passed in many states, nominally targetted at reducing voter fraud (despite there being no documented cases of impersonation in person in some of those states for the previous 20 years) but actually intended to reduce Democrat voter turnout since the demographic that's disproportionately inconvenienced by such laws (eg young people) are also disproportionately likely to vote Democrat.

The article mentioned that she had to queue up twice.  It wasn't one unbroken 6 hour wait.  It was two 3 hour waits.

So my guess is that she queued up, was hit by unexpected red tape from a new law passed by the GOP, and then had to return to queue up for a second time.

The point is that for every person like Ms Victor who was prepared to surmount that amount of bullshit in order to claim her right to vote, there will have been several others who will have given up (perhaps they had a job to get to).

colins_mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM
But at 102 she saw a time when she couldn't. She saw people fight for it. It means more to her probably than it does to me, who never had to.fight for it, who's parents didn't have to fight for it.,

Quoting rocketracer:

Desiline Victor wasn't denied her voting rights.  She voted.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Trollslayer
by Terica on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting colins_mom:

But at 102 she saw a time when she couldn't. She saw people fight for it. It means more to her probably than it does to me, who never had to.fight for it, who's parents didn't have to fight for it.,

Quoting rocketracer:

Excellent point colins_mom....and she is 102 years old for pete sake....

colins_mom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Makes me glad my poiling place was fast tracking the elderly and disabled.

Quoting Trollslayer:

Quoting colins_mom:

Quoting rocketracer:

Excellent point colins_mom....and she is 102 years old for pete sake....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

The truth has no color.

Quoting GrannyM.:

Shame on Fox News...shows their true colors....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)