Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Why do you think Democrats are refusing to acknowledge our government's spending problem?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

Our Country’s Big Spending Problem Is Real, No Matter What Democrats Say

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 14, 2013

What’s that mantra about repeating something often enough until it becomes a truth? Maybe that’s what top Democrats are trying to do in regard to the massive spending problem we have in our country right now. Pay no attention to the trillion-dollar deficit over the budget line!

President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Steny Hoyer have all said recently that we don’t have a spending problem. This week, Senator Tom Harkin publicly promoted the delusion, saying, “I want to disagree with those who say we have a spending problem.”

He continued:

Everyone keeps saying we have a spending problem. And when they talk about that, it’s like there’s an assumption that somehow we as a nation are broke ... we are now the richest nation in the world. We have the highest per capita income of any major nation. That kind of begs the question, doesn’t it? If we’re so rich, why are we so broke? Is it a spending problem? No.

I know math is hard and all, but a spending problem is when you spend more money than you bring in, regardless of the amount coming in. In 2012, the government brought in about $2.5 trillion, and spent nearly $3.8 trillion. So it spent all the money it brought in, and then spent more than half of it over again.

Think of it this way, if you made $50,000 last year and spent like the government spent, you’d have paid out $76,873. You’d be almost $27,000 in debt. In one year. And you only make $50K. That, my friends, is an overwhelming spending problem.

Harkin is right about one thing -- we are a rich nation. However, being rich doesn’t preclude a spending problem. The two are not mutually exclusive -- the numbers are just bigger when you’re playing with larger amounts of money.

By saying that we don’t have a spending problem, Democrats imply that we must have a revenue problem. We must bring in more money! Well guess what? We do bring in more money every year. As a whole, Americans pay more tax revenue every year than they did before. This is good! It means we’re all getting richer.

So why does it feel like we’re broke? Because the increased revenue is a drop in the bucket compared to the massive increases in spending. It’d be like getting a $3,000 bonus, and celebrating by buying a $50,000 car.

We do have a spending problem, and no amount of saying otherwise can change that.  

Why do you think Democrats are refusing to acknowledge our government's spending problem?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Because Republicans wont take responsibility of their own involvement in 90% of that spending.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Nearly 17 trillion as of this morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I disagree. This country has a spending problem.

ElitestJen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Because democrats can't think globally.  They're too focused on classism and taking other people's money.  In order for them to recognize a spending issue, they'd have to admit to culpability.  Democrats hate being held accountable.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:56 PM

There is a real spending problem in America.  The dems just want to talk it up like everything's fine so the American people think everything is fine and they all look good.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

This is true:  being rich doesn’t preclude a spending problem.

You can be a very rich person, but still spend too much money.

However, this is also true: You can have debt (or a deficit) and still not have a spending problem.

Consider Steph's example:

Think of it this way, if you made $50,000 last year and spent like the government spent, you’d have paid out $76,873. You’d be almost $27,000 in debt. In one year. And you only make $50K. That, my friends, is an overwhelming spending problem.

Well, not necessarilly.  It would depend on what you spent it on.  Did you spend it on college?  A house?  Did you take out debt to grow a business that otherwise would have failed?

If the answer is yes, then I'd argue that, in fact, you do not have an "overwhelming" spending problem, because this is the kind of spending that is necessary to secure your economic future.

So ultimately, my answer to Steph's question: Why do you think Democrats are refusing to acknowledge our government's spending problem?

is. . .because we don't have one.

That said, we do have a problem -- we don't have a plan to repay back the debt..  As a country, we have no plan to pay back the money that we owe.  It's like taking out a loan to pay for a business expansion with no plan as to how to pay it back.

To me, that's the real problem, because that's what gives real uncertainty to the economy and the country's financial future.

But the "spending" itself?  That's fine.

kailu1835
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Because they're too busy faking a surplus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Because they want to pretend it doesn't exist. So they can keep spending. They are like teenage girls with Mom and Dad's credit card who have spent WAY over. Easier just to pretend you are dumb and don't know. It's been said that if you tell a lie enough times, some people will believe it's the truth.

29again
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Simple!!  Because we don't have a spending problem, we have a "paying for" problem!!  At least that is what they said earlier in the week. 

*eyeroll*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)