Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Hospices Reveal Obamacare's Impact

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hospices Reveal Obamacare's Impact

Bob Moffit and Alyene Senger

February 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm

(9)

Two hospice care centers are struggling to make ends meet, and Obamacare's cuts to Medicare are to blame.

Hospices-health care facilities for the terminally ill-along with other Medicare providers are facing Medicare pay cuts. Of the $716 billion in payment reductions, hospice care was hit by a $17 billion payment cut from 2013 to 2022.

Now, contrary to all of the misleading claims, this effect is already beginning.

San Diego Hospice recently laid off 260 workers, closed a 24-bed hospital, and has recently filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. San Diego Hospice's financial condition is attributed mainly to reduced Medicare reimbursement, fewer patients, and a federal audit that hurt the center's reputation.

Another provider, Delaware Hospice, had to lay off 52 workers, citing lower federal reimbursement as the cause. "The decision," said CEO Susan Lloyd, "is a direct result of a consequential decline in census and the need to position the organization to meet additional changes and challenges that the hospice industry anticipates with health care reform."

"There's a bit of a squeeze going on," said Theresa M. Forster, vice president for hospice policy and programs at the National Association for Home Care & Hospice. "Hospices have to do more with less, and you can see how that could take its toll over time."

If other Part A providers (e.g., hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, hospices), like these hospice centers, can't withstand Obamacare's $700 billion worth of cuts, how will seniors be able to access these services?

Remember how AARP, the liberals in the media, and the President insisted that Obamacare's $716 billion in cuts to Medicare were "reforms that won't touch your guaranteed Medicare benefits. Not by a single dime"?

Heritage had explained that financing Medicare benefits and seniors' ability to access those benefits are inseparable-you can't cut payment to services without affecting persons who depend on those services.

Recall that both the actuary of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and theMedicare trustees projected that Obamacare's cuts would cause 15 percent of Part A providers to become unprofitable by 2019 and (if the reimbursement rates stay at Obamacare levels) 40 percent by 2050.

This is flawed and counter-productive policy. During tonight's State of the Union address, it will be interesting to see if the President wants to double down on this approach. There's a better way: harnessing the forces of competition. That will require serious structural reforms-as outlined in The Heritage Foundation's Saving the American Dream-not just tightening price controls that put Medicare providers out of business.

Posted in FeaturedHealth Care
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:08 AM
4 moms liked this

Having recently dealt with hospice, it's terrifying to think what this is going to mean for those who reach an end of life point, for both the patients and their families. There were already cutbacks taking place last summer, and it was commented on ...

Maybe I'll just stock up on some euth meds from the vet before I become incapacitated or if I find out I have something terminal. Ugh.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I agree. We are currently dealing with hospice for my grandmother

Quoting Farmlady09:

Having recently dealt with hospice, it's terrifying to think what this is going to mean for those who reach an end of life point, for both the patients and their families. There were already cutbacks taking place last summer, and it was commented on ...

Maybe I'll just stock up on some euth meds from the vet before I become incapacitated or if I find out I have something terminal. Ugh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Under Obamacare, hospitals are going to be very reluctant to admit Medicare patients for a couple of reasons.  They are going to be getting bonuses for not admitting them (through ER), and if they have to readmit a medicare patient within 30 days of releasing them, they will be fined.  That's ludicrous.  It's very common for seniors to develop pneumonia after leaving a hospital or develop complications from a hip replacement, etc.

People are so ignorant.  It's not just the seniors who are getting screwed under obamacare.  But what medicare does, insurance companies quite often sooner or later start doing to their regular insurees also.  Just like medicare won't pay the hospital the extra expenses incurred if you develop an infection while there.  A lot of insurance companies are now doing the same thing.

A lot of doctors had quit taking new medicare patients quite a few years ago because of the ridiculous cut reimbursement rate medicare pays them.  Once obamacare passed, a lot of them have even dropped their medicare patients.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Welch and Buffett both agreed that Obamacare slows down the economy. It was on CNBC Thursday morning.

GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Where are the progressives to dispute this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

BUMP!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Those of us who have been against Obamacare all along already saw this coming.  And I agree with Carpy, where are the ones who have been saying it's wonderful?

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm very sorry, it's such a difficult thing to watch and deal with.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Thank you it's really is. But luckily she is receiving hospice care at home. My grandfather is able to be her main care taker

Quoting Farmlady09:

I'm very sorry, it's such a difficult thing to watch and deal with.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN