Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Students, parents concerned by seemingly slanted college syllabus: Professor bans Fox News in the classroom, claiming it makes her cringe

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 164 Replies

• Posted: 5:19 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013

By Josh Eachus

WEST LIBERTY, W.Va.—Students and parents are questioning a college professor after she reportedly issued a syllabus that filtered student’s research options

The syllabus tells students in a West Liberty University political science course what sources they can and cannot use.

Among those students are asked not to use are The Onion, an openly fictitious parody of real-life news, and Fox News, a professional news organization.

In the syllabus, the professor allegedly says, "The tagline Fox News makes me cringe."

"One of our values at West Liberty is to encourage students to go out and inquire and gather information and look at as many different sources as possible on any side, before you reach your opinion," said Robin Capehart, president of West Liberty University.

Upset students and parents have taken their concerns to local media, like NEWS9’s news partner Dave Bloomquist at WWVA, who shared an email from a concerned parent with us.

Parents claim it is unfair to the students to encourage some sources which lean in one direction politically, while discouraging those going in the other direction.

"If students have concerns about these types of issues, they can approach their department chair, they can approach the dean," said Capehart.Bloomquist also spoke with the professor, Stephanie Wolfe, on the radio this morning, but she declined to speak with NEWS9. 

"Any attempt to limit the breadth of a student's ability to investigate is obviously something at which we have a concern," said Capehart.

Officials said that Wolfe is only with the university for this year in place of another instructor who had taken leave.

They also said Wolfe has gone back to the class and lifted any limitation on research sources.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM
9 moms liked this

If I had to guess the instructor's motivation, I would presume that she doesn't consider Fox a good source since they have admitted to not having much concern about the accuracy of what they report.  So, just like the Onion (which is openly satire), it wouldn't make sense to trust a source that not only admits to reporting stories that aren't true, but actually went to court to defend its right to report stories that it knows aren't true.  I can't imagine anyone not understanding how that would call the source into question.

Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this

When was that?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

If I had to guess the instructor's motivation, I would presume that she doesn't consider Fox a good source since they have admitted to not having much concern about the accuracy of what they report.  So, just like the Onion (which is openly satire), it wouldn't make sense to trust a source that not only admits to reporting stories that aren't true, but actually went to court to defend its right to report stories that it knows aren't true.  I can't imagine anyone not understanding how that would call the source into question.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Quote:

Among those students are asked not to use are The Onion, an openly fictitious parody of real-life news, and Fox News, a professional news organization.

A professional news org? no, they aren't

I see nothing wrong with it..

FOX isn't a news channel

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

Parents claim it is unfair to the students to encourage some sources which lean in one direction politically, while discouraging those going in the other direction.

what source was encouraged?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM
8 moms liked this

To apply the same standard - How do you defend CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, etc.?

The only difference is that FNC admits they lean right - the others, who statistically lean left, according to study after study, just don't admit it. Which does not mean they are not biased left - according to the study. They just don't admit their bias.

Those who are prejudiced against FNC are just unhappy that they don't have a monopoly on the news in America, like they used to. FNC has the absolutely fairest interviewer - Chris Wallace - who actually leans left - who asks equally tough questions of every guest, no matter their ideology. The other networks? Not so much.

So give FNC a fair shot - or drop any pretenses of fairness.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM
10 moms liked this

Sure it is - you just don't agree with it, because it tends to lean right - but employs a significant number of liberals, libertarians, and independents - in addition to conservatives. FYI - O'Reilly, the highest rated host - is a staunch Independent, not a conservative, and smacks conservatives as well as liberals. Probably didn't know that.

You think only the left-wing mainstream media is legitimate - because you agree with their bias. Which has no other viewpoints to speak of.

Which makes you biased - you, a "tolerant" member of the "tolerant" party, who is supposed to be impartial. Why is that?

So who is biased, and who is fair after all - based on the evidence? I think you would be surprised.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

A professional news org? no, they aren't

I see nothing wrong with it..

FOX isn't a news channel

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The left-wing mainstream media, silly!  :)

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
9 moms liked this
It's college. If they don't like it then switch courses or professors.

Be an adult. You're in College so stop whining to your parents about your teachers choices in class.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM
No source was encouraged

Quoting SallyMJ:

The left-wing mainstream media, silly!  :)

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM
8 moms liked this

From 9:00AM to 4:00PM Fox has straight non right or left news.

The other times are opinion shows some lean left some lean right, most have both.

The problem is that the dumb masses don't know what straight news is.

Quoting SallyMJ:

To apply the same standard - How do you defend CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, etc.?

The only difference is that FNC admits they lean right - the others, who statistically lean left, according to study after study, just don't admit it. Which does not mean they are not biased left - according to the study. They just don't admit their bias.

Those who are prejudiced against FNC are just unhappy that they don't have a monopoly on the news in America, like they used to. FNC has the absolutely fairest interviewer - Chris Wallace - who actually leans left - who asks equally tough questions of every guest, no matter their ideology. The other networks? Not so much.

So give FNC a fair shot - or drop any pretenses of fairness.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN