Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Students, parents concerned by seemingly slanted college syllabus: Professor bans Fox News in the classroom, claiming it makes her cringe

Posted by   + Show Post

• Posted: 5:19 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013

By Josh Eachus

WEST LIBERTY, W.Va.—Students and parents are questioning a college professor after she reportedly issued a syllabus that filtered student’s research options

The syllabus tells students in a West Liberty University political science course what sources they can and cannot use.

Among those students are asked not to use are The Onion, an openly fictitious parody of real-life news, and Fox News, a professional news organization.

In the syllabus, the professor allegedly says, "The tagline Fox News makes me cringe."

"One of our values at West Liberty is to encourage students to go out and inquire and gather information and look at as many different sources as possible on any side, before you reach your opinion," said Robin Capehart, president of West Liberty University.

Upset students and parents have taken their concerns to local media, like NEWS9’s news partner Dave Bloomquist at WWVA, who shared an email from a concerned parent with us.

Parents claim it is unfair to the students to encourage some sources which lean in one direction politically, while discouraging those going in the other direction.

"If students have concerns about these types of issues, they can approach their department chair, they can approach the dean," said Capehart.Bloomquist also spoke with the professor, Stephanie Wolfe, on the radio this morning, but she declined to speak with NEWS9. 

"Any attempt to limit the breadth of a student's ability to investigate is obviously something at which we have a concern," said Capehart.

Officials said that Wolfe is only with the university for this year in place of another instructor who had taken leave.

They also said Wolfe has gone back to the class and lifted any limitation on research sources.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (131-140):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly.

This seems to be lost to many...

Cable news is not a reliable academic source for most professors

Quoting gsprofval:

There is nothing wrong with not allowing those sources.  I don't allow Wikipedia either.

In fact, students should be using the school's virtual library to do research instead of Google.  The virtual library will have sources that are academic and not main stream media.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:17 AM
There are plenty of conservative colleges and professors out there. If you chose to go to a more liberal college then that is your fault.

Quoting SallyMJ:

I respectfully disagree. Ask any conservative who has gone through college in the past 40-50 years. Ask me. My professors attempted to brainwash me into a liberal, but I resisted, protested to my professors, and told my friends and family about it.

Why do so many professors teach leftist, and often Marxist, theories and views? Why do surveys show that about 90% of university professors self-identify as leftists, and a small minority as conservatives? 

Why do so many college students and graduates become leftists, irrespective of their upbringing? it is really hard to fight against it when your mind is constantly being infiltrated with leftist views - by professors who are themselves leftists? How can that not have an effect?

Just connect the dots. I admit the truth is ugly.

Quoting gsprofval:

I have to disagree with your statement that " All of academia is run by professors with leftist agendas and philosophies."  I am certainly not leftist and have not been told by any administration to lean that way.

However, I do not allow my students to use Google to find sources.  I require my students to use the college's virtual library to find ACADEMIC sources' after all, they do PAY for that privilege. I have no problem with Fox News as a source, but students are really challenged if they have to read and use the virtual library's sources rather than Google because education is so dumbed-down now.

Even though I personally may not agree with the stance a student takes on certain topics, that is not the issue.  The issue is that the student supports his/her stance and backs it up with credible sources--that's what the grade is based on.  In that process, I quite often learn a lot about the topic, so it's good for me, too.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, Mommy,

Not so easy. All of academia is run by professors with leftist agendas and philosophies. I even saw it when I was in college years ago, and it freaked me out then - because I thought it was supposed to be neutral. Not. I was too afraid to speak out then.

It is much worse now. Conservative students report having to choose whether to write papers supporting their leftist instructors' philosophies, or to write their own opposing ideas, knowing their instructor will grade them down, or even fail them, for their own contradictory ideas.  So exercising their freedom of speech may actually disqualify them from the career of their choice.

This is called chilling of freedom of speech - and yes, it is a huge deal - (1) since it is unconstitutional, and (2) since pretty much every other university is the same in the ideology of their instructors.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM

If she allowed MSNBC or Al Gores old hack job of a "news" source, then there is no reason to deny FOX as a source.  Glad to hear she lifted the 'ban'. 

AuntieL333
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this

College is for acquiring of KNOWLEDGE, not the gaining of  morsels that fall from the lips of bloviating talking heads. Unfortunately, we now live in a country that must be entertained every moment lest boredom set in and as a result our news is no longer news. It used to be that tv stations did not seek to make a profit from their news cast, that way they could bring you those little things called facts and tell the story without embellishment or political slant. God, I miss Huntley and Brinkley and Walter Cronkite.

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yeah well thanks for the lecture.  I am confident in my ability to discern a reliable source, and Fox news aint it.  

I don't know why you expect me to defend the current state of TV journalism, or why you assume that I watch TV news.  It's true, it all is sensationalized crap.  However Fox is the worst, I don't care if you agree with that or think I am biased against it because it is conservative.  They led the downward spiral, they are laughable.  They are the worst of the worst.  

Anyway this post is about college students whining about what the prof is allowing them to use as a source.  The point is it's her class and she makes the rules.  Don't like it, don't take the class.  Pretty simple.  I had a lit teacher that thought James Joyce was the best writer of all time. We had to read almost everything by Joyce, even the most boring texts.  We were required to, to pass the class.  That's how college works.

Quoting Farmlady09:

What you 'consider' reliable may or may not have any bearing on the reality of what is reliable.

Perhaps a list of all of the blatant lies from nbc, cnn, abc, etc. would give you some perspective. Those weren't 'mistakes' ~ just deliberate lies. I'm no fan of any US media, but I do know the difference between a mistake and a lie. I also give fox a slight edge simply because they make no bones about leaning right, and they employ and pay people from both sides.

I don't consider any media news as reliable, simply because they all look for ratings and revenue. Reliable and honest journalism is gasping out a death rattle (much like truth), but most people don't care because they only want to read what they believe.

Quoting stacymomof2:

If all sources aren't allowed?  That's weird, when I was in college we were required to use reliable sources.  We were not allowed to cite Weekly World News, or The National Enquirer, for example.  Using unreliable sources would get you a failing grade.

Yes, I consider Fox along the lines of The National Enquirer.  They have made too many "mistakes" for them to be considered a good source of info, no matter what their bias.

Quoting Farmlady09:

If all sources aren't allowed, it's no longer education ... simply indoctrination. Our colleges are pathetic remnants of anything that once resembled education. Most kids would do better at a trade school. At least they would learn something of value. Skewed politics are a dime a dozen, and worth less than that dime (possibly worth less than most opinions), and if that's the best a prof can come up with, that prof better be teaching her class to chant 'would you like fries with that?'.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It's college. If they don't like it then switch courses or professors.

Be an adult. You're in College so stop whining to your parents about your teachers choices in class.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You poor, poor thing. That's just cruel.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yeah well thanks for the lecture.  I am confident in my ability to discern a reliable source, and Fox news aint it.  

I don't know why you expect me to defend the current state of TV journalism, or why you assume that I watch TV news.  It's true, it all is sensationalized crap.  However Fox is the worst, I don't care if you agree with that or think I am biased against it because it is conservative.  They led the downward spiral, they are laughable.  They are the worst of the worst.  

Anyway this post is about college students whining about what the prof is allowing them to use as a source.  The point is it's her class and she makes the rules.  Don't like it, don't take the class.  Pretty simple.  I had a lit teacher that thought James Joyce was the best writer of all time. We had to read almost everything by Joyce, even the most boring texts.  We were required to, to pass the class.  That's how college works.

Quoting Farmlady09:

What you 'consider' reliable may or may not have any bearing on the reality of what is reliable.

Perhaps a list of all of the blatant lies from nbc, cnn, abc, etc. would give you some perspective. Those weren't 'mistakes' ~ just deliberate lies. I'm no fan of any US media, but I do know the difference between a mistake and a lie. I also give fox a slight edge simply because they make no bones about leaning right, and they employ and pay people from both sides.

I don't consider any media news as reliable, simply because they all look for ratings and revenue. Reliable and honest journalism is gasping out a death rattle (much like truth), but most people don't care because they only want to read what they believe.

Quoting stacymomof2:

If all sources aren't allowed?  That's weird, when I was in college we were required to use reliable sources.  We were not allowed to cite Weekly World News, or The National Enquirer, for example.  Using unreliable sources would get you a failing grade.

Yes, I consider Fox along the lines of The National Enquirer.  They have made too many "mistakes" for them to be considered a good source of info, no matter what their bias.

Quoting Farmlady09:

If all sources aren't allowed, it's no longer education ... simply indoctrination. Our colleges are pathetic remnants of anything that once resembled education. Most kids would do better at a trade school. At least they would learn something of value. Skewed politics are a dime a dozen, and worth less than that dime (possibly worth less than most opinions), and if that's the best a prof can come up with, that prof better be teaching her class to chant 'would you like fries with that?'.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Be an adult. You're in College so stop whining to your parents about your teachers choices in class.

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

lol, I know.  I like Joyce in small doses but by the end of the class I was done with Joyce forever and I haven't picked up anything by him since.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

You poor, poor thing. That's just cruel.

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Either you do not read, or you choose not to comprehend. A legitimate choice - but sad.

When 90% of college professors self-identify as Marxists - there is only a tiny number of colleges who possibly can teach in a fair manner. And all of these leftist universities receive government subsidies - which would seem to imply that the government subsidizes Marxist teaching, but not Constitutional teaching?

Are you suggesting that there should be "separate but equal" universities for conservatives, since the others will not be fair to them? 

If so, you are arguing and thinking EXACTLY like those who supported Jim Crow. And apartheid.

And, besides, the Supreme Court said 50 years ago that was unconstitutional.

Congratulations - following in the footsteps of your virtual Southern Democrat and South African forbears. You would make them proud.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

There are plenty of conservative colleges and professors out there. If you chose to go to a more liberal college then that is your fault.

Quoting SallyMJ:

I respectfully disagree. Ask any conservative who has gone through college in the past 40-50 years. Ask me. My professors attempted to brainwash me into a liberal, but I resisted, protested to my professors, and told my friends and family about it.

Why do so many professors teach leftist, and often Marxist, theories and views? Why do surveys show that about 90% of university professors self-identify as leftists, and a small minority as conservatives? 

Why do so many college students and graduates become leftists, irrespective of their upbringing? it is really hard to fight against it when your mind is constantly being infiltrated with leftist views - by professors who are themselves leftists? How can that not have an effect?

Quoting gsprofval:

I have to disagree with your statement that " All of academia is run by professors with leftist agendas and philosophies."  I am certainly not leftist and have not been told by any administration to lean that way.

However, I do not allow my students to use Google to find sources.  I require my students to use the college's virtual library to find ACADEMIC sources' after all, they do PAY for that privilege. I have no problem with Fox News as a source, but students are really challenged if they have to read and use the virtual library's sources rather than Google because education is so dumbed-down now.

Even though I personally may not agree with the stance a student takes on certain topics, that is not the issue.  The issue is that the student supports his/her stance and backs it up with credible sources--that's what the grade is based on.  In that process, I quite often learn a lot about the topic, so it's good for me, too.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, Mommy,

Not so easy. All of academia is run by professors with leftist agendas and philosophies. I even saw it when I was in college years ago, and it freaked me out then - because I thought it was supposed to be neutral. Not. I was too afraid to speak out then.

It is much worse now. Conservative students report having to choose whether to write papers supporting their leftist instructors' philosophies, or to write their own opposing ideas, knowing their instructor will grade them down, or even fail them, for their own contradictory ideas.  So exercising their freedom of speech may actually disqualify them from the career of their choice.

This is called chilling of freedom of speech - and yes, it is a huge deal - (1) since it is unconstitutional, and (2) since pretty much every other university is the same in the ideology of their instructors.  

stacymomof2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Please provide proof that 90% of college professors self identify as Marxists.

And there are plenty of conservative leaning colleges.  Just go to one of those if Berkley is too liberal for you.  lol

I can't believe grown women are arguing that it isn't fair that college profs are liberal, and comparing it to Jim Crow,  Absolutely ridiculous.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Either you do not read, or you choose not to comprehend. A legitimate choice - but sad.

When 90% of college professors self-identify as Marxists - there is only a tiny number of colleges who possibly can teach in a fair manner. And all of these leftist universities receive government subsidies - which would seem to imply that the government subsidizes Marxist teaching, but not Constitutional teaching?

Are you suggesting that there should be "separate but equal" universities for conservatives, since the others will not be fair to them? 

If so, you are arguing and thinking EXACTLY like those who supported Jim Crow. And apartheid.

Congratulations - following in the footsteps of your virtual Southern Democrat and South African forbears. You would make them proud.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, Mommy,

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

90% of college professors identify as Marxist? Source?

The apartheid/Jim Crow comparison is offensive and ridiculous. No one is suggesting conservative students not be allowed at more liberal colleges, or that liberal students not be allowed at conservative institutions. Just that if one wants to be surrounded by conservative classmates, attend conservative school functions and learn only from conservative professors, one should probably pick an institution that promotes that view. Otherwise, in the vast majority of cases, and in the vast majority of university subject matter, political ideology of either the student and professor (conservative or liberal!) doesn't matter, should never come up, and if it does, both student and professor should be adult and mature enough to handle any differences professionally. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting gsprofval:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, Mommy,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)