Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black Nurses Banned from Caring for Child in Michigan Hospital

Posted by   + Show Post

Black Nurses Banned from Caring for Child in Michigan Hospital

Hospital facing lawsuit after complying with a swastika-tattooed father's request that only white nurses care for his child.

In Michigan,  a neonatal nurse reports that she was removed from her job because a Swastika-tattooed father who didn’t want his daughter treated by any African Americans.

The nurse, Tonya Battle, had been working at Hurley Medical Center in Flint, Michigan, since 1988. Yet when a newborn girl came into the neonatal intensive care unit recently, Battle was abruptly removed from the case because “the father told the [nurse in charge] that he did not want and African Americans taking care of his baby."

Battle is now suing the hospital for discrimination.

"She [BATTLE]was shocked, offended and in disbelief that she was so egregiously discriminated against based on her race and re-assigned," the court documents read.

The evidence in this case appears overwhelming. Not only was Battle removed from the case, but later she found a note in the baby’s file that read, "No African American nurse to take care of baby."

Neither Battle nor any other nurses of color were allowed to care for the baby for her month-long stay in the hospital.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Replies (41-50):
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Quoting jcrew6:

Looks like Risk Mgt, fumbled. Then, the lawyers corrected.  

Yup, but they continued to not assign any black nurses, even after the lawyer told them to cut it out and they told the dad that his request could not be met. They continued to keep it racially segregated even when they didn't feel they had to.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM

You are speaking in allegations.  Do you know without a doubt the staff continued to segregate based on hospital directive after lawyers corrected? She is suing the hospital.  We need to know how the directives went down and how they were followed through by leadership and staff after the lawyers stepped in.  Don't you think it would be best to let the case work its way through the process?  

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting jcrew6:

Yup, but they continued to not assign any black nurses, even after the lawyer told them to cut it out and they told the dad that his request could not be met. They continued to keep it racially segregated even when they didn't feel they had to.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Absolutely, we're all speaking in allegations at this point. The lawsuit claims that even after the note was removed from the file and the father was informed his request could no longer be met, they still did not assign her or any other black nurses back on this case, keeping the segregated practice intact. You're right, the case will work through the process of how and why those decisions were made. 

Quoting jcrew6:

You are speaking in allegations.  Do you know without a doubt the staff continued to segregate based on hospital directive after lawyers corrected? She is suing the hospital.  We need to know how the directives went down and how they were followed through by leadership and staff after the lawyers stepped in.  Don't you think it would be best to let the case work its way through the process?  

Quoting chloedee:

Quoting jcrew6:

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Me too. 

Quoting Carpy:

I REALLY hate to admit this, but I agree with sweet.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

She didnt lose her job or any money, right?

Yea, the Dad's a sh*tbag, but I don't see how she lost anything...if anything I wouldn't want to care for the baby because she would have to deal with the racist and who knows how he would act

What if the baby didnt make it and he blamed her..

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM

She is suing the hospital now. I'm torn, but since she didn't lose hours over this I don't see it as a big deal.

Was it right? Hell no. Did their actions save her from having to deal with the asshole or in case something had gone wrong and she was blamed? Probably.

Quoting SallyMJ:

That is correct. But it doesn't need to go nearly as far as firing.

Essentially, this hospital followed racist employment practices to satisfy the racist family member of a patient.

Which means the hospital violated their own policies. And the Constitution. If the nurse sued her employer, the hospital, any court would find them guilty of unfair business practices, actions which are unconstitutional.

Clearly we agree on the principle, just not on the details. Which is really not the point.

I say we call a truce. Unless you'd like to keep debating. Either choice fine by me.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

His request isn't unconstitutional either

If the hospital fired the nurse it would be illegal

Quoting SallyMJ:

I didn't say being racist was unconstitutional.

I said his racist demands - which, if followed, would violate not only the Constitution but the hospital's own HR policies, and were therefore illegal.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Not providing care for the baby should never be an option.

Being a racist isn't unconstitutional

It's disgusting, but not illegal

He didnt ask that she get fired or anything bad happen to her ...if she were the only nurse there to handle the care I would explain that to him and say you can transfer to another hospital or let her take care

But there are other nurses there and she isn't being affected

This kind of man may physically harm her if the child doesn't make it or has long lasting health issues ...he would blame the black nurse.

Quoting SallyMJ:

That is crazy. The hospital should have told the Neo-Nazi dad that his racial prohibitions were not constitutional, therefore, the hospital would provide care as they deemed appropriate. And if he didn't like it, there is always the sidewalk outside. As well as other hospitals.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

The nurse SHOULD sue the hospital - and she will win. Very clear-cut case of civil rights violations.

The patient's dad was requesting health care service that would require racism against the hospital's black nurses. And instead of telling him to pound sand, the hospital kowtowed to the racist dad, instead of choosing to continue to care for children in a way that upholds the civil rights of patient and employee alike.

At least one head will roll, with likely huge penalties - as should occur. I am not a proponent of frivolous lawsuits - but this case is anything but frivolous. The incident is an outrage. And Michigan was an anti-slavery state back in the day. How things change.

How some ladies on CM can not think this is an outrage, and try to argue that this was not a civil rights violation is mind-boggling to me.

Sounds like they may be related to the racist dad - Hey, bro!

Quoting DSamuels:

She is suing the hospital now. I'm torn, but since she didn't lose hours over this I don't see it as a big deal.

Was it right? Hell no. Did their actions save her from having to deal with the asshole or in case something had gone wrong and she was blamed? Probably.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Essentially, this hospital followed racist employment practices to satisfy the racist family member of a patient.

Which means the hospital violated their own policies. And the Constitution. If the nurse sued her employer, the hospital, any court would find them guilty of unfair business practices, actions which are unconstitutional.

Clearly we agree on the principle, just not on the details. Which is really not the point.

I say we call a truce. Unless you'd like to keep debating. Either choice fine by me.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

I said his racist demands - which, if followed, would violate not only the Constitution but the hospital's own HR policies, and were therefore illegal.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

He didnt ask that she get fired or anything bad happen to her ...if she were the only nurse there to handle the care I would explain that to him and say you can transfer to another hospital or let her take care

This kind of man may physically harm her if the child doesn't make it or has long lasting health issues ...he would blame the black nurse.

Quoting SallyMJ:

That is crazy. The hospital should have told the Neo-Nazi dad that his racial prohibitions were not constitutional, therefore, the hospital would provide care as they deemed appropriate. And if he didn't like it, there is always the sidewalk outside. As well as other hospitals.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I think the racist dad is an outrage and the lawsuit is without merit

What civil right are you alleging was infringed?

If the hospital knowingly put a black nurse on the case and the outcome was bad, say the racist blames the black nurse and gets physical with her....did the hospital protect her?

What if was verbally abusive to the black nurses the entire time his baby was being treated, does that protect the nurses?

The baby is the patient. Setting up the best situation is what is more important.

Quoting SallyMJ:

The nurse SHOULD sue the hospital - and she will win. Very clear-cut case of civil rights violations.

The patient's dad was requesting health care service that would require racism against the hospital's black nurses. And instead of telling him to pound sand, the hospital kowtowed to the racist dad, instead of choosing to continue to care for children in a way that upholds the civil rights of patient and employee alike.

At least one head will roll, with likely huge penalties - as should occur. I am not a proponent of frivolous lawsuits - but this case is anything but frivolous. The incident is an outrage. And Michigan was an anti-slavery state back in the day. How things change.

How some ladies on CM can not think this is an outrage, and try to argue that this was not a civil rights violation is mind-boggling to me.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:44 PM

There is nothing left anyone can say.

You have clarified that you agree with and condone racisim. Unbelievable. And said by a member of the party that says they have "always" supported cvil rights - RIGHT! - except before, during, and after the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the 20th Century shortly after they realized the black vote could be bought.

The one good thing about your party is that they do not agree with you. Good thing. You might have to find another party that supports your type of racism.

I like you a lot - but it is astounding to me that you - an adult woman - are choosing to be ignorant and racist. Sad.  :(

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I think the racist dad is an outrage and the lawsuit is without merit

What civil right are you alleging was infringed?

If the hospital knowingly put a black nurse on the case and the outcome was bad, say the racist blames the black nurse and gets physical with her....did the hospital protect her?

What if was verbally abusive to the black nurses the entire time his baby was being treated, does that protect the nurses?

The baby is the patient. Setting up the best situation is what is more important.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting SallyMJ:

Redwall
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Is that the saddest story?  So maybe she got a white nurse who wasn't nearly as loveable or caring?  I'm hoping she didn't lose any benefits or pay.  Dad is a jerk, but I guess he has the right to be so.  I wonder what would have happened had there been no white nurses on duty at the time?  Would if have just left the baby until the next shift?

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

How are so many of the "smart" "modern women" responding to this post - liberal and conservative alike - so blind to the outrageous civil rights violations this hospital committed toward these black nurses?

So many of you say: "It's not all that bad." 

This is so disappointing, ladies. If you were all in charge, women would not yet have won the right to vote. And the Civil Rights Act of 1964 had would never been signed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)