Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do you think this professor was out of line for banning Fox News?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 16 Replies

Liberal Professor Bans Fox News from Classroom Because It Makes Her 'Cringe'

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 15, 2013 

A professor at a public university in West Virginia has forbidden her students from using Fox News as a research source because it’s biased and icky. Seriously. She also said they couldn’t use The Onion (a parody site), but if they had to choose between the two, she’d take The Onion over Fox News.

WOTV, a local NBC affiliate, got the scoop that a syllabus for a political science course at West Liberty University informs students that the two sources are unacceptable. Let me repeat: A professor of a political science course has banned Fox News from the classroom.

According to Fox News (hehe!), the syllabus says:

DO NOT use

1) The Onion — this is not news this is literally a parody

2) Fox News — The tagline “Fox News” makes me cringe. Please do not subject me to this biased news station. I would almost rather you print off an article from the Onion

MSNBC, Fox News’ liberal counterpart, is presumably a-ok, which is weird, because they’re the ones that are constantly caught selectively editing footage to promote false narratives and further their own agenda. But then again, I probably just heard that on Fox News, so what do I know? Oh wait -- I also heard it from The Atlantic, Real Clear Politics, Examiner.com, The Hollywood Reporter, the San Francisco Gate, Politico, The Washington Times, and I think I’ve made my point.

See what I did there? I didn’t discredit information from a news site because I don’t like their political bent. No one should mindlessly believe what one media source tells them anyway. Part of forming your own thoughts and opinions is gathering information from a variety of places and perspectives before deciding what to believe about something.

Stephanie Wolfe, the visiting assistant professor behind the ban, is completely missing the point of political science. In politics, there is a right and a left, and everyone has an opinion. Students should be encouraged to take them all in, especially those that may differ from their preconceived notions.

The university preside, Robin Capehart, agrees with Professor Wolfe’s critics.

“One of our values at West Liberty is to encourage students to go out and inquire and gather information and look at as many different sources as possible on any side, before you reach your opinion,” Capehart told WTOV. “Any attempt to limit the breadth of a student’s ability to investigate is obviously something at which we have a concern.”

It’s unclear if any action has been taken to reprimand Ms. Wolfe, but it’s been reported that she is now allowing Fox News as a source. I imagine some cheeky students will use it exclusively. I would.

Do you think this professor was out of line for banning Fox News?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

This is already posted and has quite a few comments.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Yes, I do.

mikiemom
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:01 AM

If the professor doesn't feel fox news is a credible source then yes they have the right to tell their students not to use them.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Yes, she was out of line.  She is out of line if she bans any real news source.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM
She shouldn't have worded it that way but, yes I think she has the right to determine what can and cannot be used as sources in her classes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Depends.  Did the professor also ban MSNBC and CNN? 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course she was out of line -  and demonstrated exactly the opposite of freedom of speech, educational integrity, and tolerance of other points of view.

Exactly the kind of thing liberals protest against. And say conservatives do. But actually they more often are the culprits. 

The university president was correct to have verbally spanked the professor. She should be firmly disciplined and perhaps fired. 

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Please. Just like fairminded liberals everywhere, right? But those requirements are only required of non-liberals. Why is that? I thought rules apply equally to everyone.

Reminds me of a line from "Animal Farm", "Everyone is equal. It's just that some are more equal than others."

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

She shouldn't have worded it that way but, yes I think she has the right to determine what can and cannot be used as sources in her classes.

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Good grief, calm down. A conservative professor would have just as much right to not accept MSNBC as a source if they so choose.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Please. Just like fairminded liberals everywhere, right? But those requirements are only required of non-liberals. Why is that? I thought rules apply equally to everyone.

Reminds me of a line from "Animal Farm", "Everyone is equal. It's just that some are more equal than others."

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Good grief - A conservative professor would not have done this! Don't you know that? That's why this is outrageous.

Sounds like you would been one of the apologists for slavery and apartheid - because all your buds were too.

The benefits of a moral compass and scintillating logic.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Good grief, calm down. A conservative professor would have just as much right to not accept MSNBC as a source if they so choose.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN