Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Head Start: Success or Failure?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM
  • 24 Replies
Do you believe the Head Start program has been a success or failure? Do you believe the government has a role in early childhood education?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on the fence about Head Start.  I think it's good for families that need help with preschool costs.  None of my children went through that program but I have had the opportunity to be in a few of the buildings and it seemed more like a babysitting program than a preschool with a good learning enviroment.  

DieselsMom
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM

failure!!!!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Most of the private preschools around here were basically dsycare. They were fairly spendy too. I've never observed a head start program for myself.

Quoting 4kidz916:

I'm on the fence about Head Start.  I think it's good for families that need help with preschool costs.  None of my children went through that program but I have had the opportunity to be in a few of the buildings and it seemed more like a babysitting program than a preschool with a good learning enviroment.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM
What do you base you opinion on?

Quoting DieselsMom:

failure!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I'm also on the fence about it.  I could see it as helpful to some families, but I also think it can be a way of "getting them early."  There are things that the online charter school tried to teach my kids that I totally disagreed with, I worry about very young children being exposed to things that go against the way their families do things.  With the charter school at least I was right there to say something, ya know?  Some things are just taught in such a "matter of fact" way, but they are really more of an opinion. 

There is a local idea that kids need to stand up for themselves, but they never say that it should be verbally.  They had a lot of little kids punching, kicking and biting until the parents realized that it was basically being taught to them.

The kids were being taught that they needed to recycle which sounds like a good thing, but my neighbor's kids asked about composting and the teacher said that composting was very dirty and most people shouldn't do it.  Also there are no real recycling programs around, so if you want to recycle you have to take your stuff to the center.  Many parents feel they don't have the time to do it, but now they are being hounded by the kids.  Not sure if that's good or bad, but at the very least it is causing tension in the family.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Head Start is a failure - as demonstrated by every study done in decades. 

A very good intention - that has been proven not to work..

The studies suggest rather that a stable home life with married parents who read to their child is more effective than any government program.

Hard to argue with the truth, no matter how politically incorrect some may find it. 

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I don't see a need for head start or preschool.  Two of my kids went to preschool and my youngest did not.  My youngest is not behind her peers who did go to preschool.  My kids daycare is great.  I think Allison (my youngest) learned more at daycare then my son did in preschool.

kaffedrikke
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Its great for kids that have lazy parents that refuse to teach them abcs and 123s or feed them nutritious food.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I was in headstart for a brief time. And from what I remember, it was just like the private daycare center that I went to after... what exactly does Headstart do that "fails" kids? Or is it more likely a correlation than a causation issue? Does the government aspect of headstart really make it so much different from other preschools? If so, how?

PamR
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Georgia started a public pre-k program, funded by the state lottery, about 18 years ago.  My now-16 year old attended it.  It's not a mandatory program, you can do no preschool, church preschool, private pre-k, daycare,etc.  When my daughter attended, we paid $70 a month for it.  At that time, some elementary schools had it, mainly those with a larger population of kids at risk of not getting the preparation for kindergarten they needed.  I don't think it still exists in elementary schools, due to budget cuts, and I think parents pay more than $100 now for it.  It's made a positive impact here, although GA still ranks low in education overall.   There are a lot of kids out there who need help to get ready, whether it's through a program like this or a regular daycare or preschool.  Not all parents have or take the time to do it themsleves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)