Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

GUNS USED TO SAVE TWO WOMEN FROM ATTACKERS

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

Two women were saved from mortal danger through quick thinking and the use of firearms this past week.

Myrtle Beach woman was accosted in The Bagel Factory’s parking lot Friday morning. A man opened her car door, demanded her money, and shoved her into the other seat. When she kicked him in self-defense, he told her she was dead.

The victim opened her glove box, pulled out her pistol and pointed it at the suspect. He immediately withdrew from the car and fled. The victim was not harmed, but the suspect did leave behind a silver lock-blade knife.

In Roswell, NM a 24-year-old pregnant woman was doing laundry with her 3-year-old daughter when her 49-year-old neighbor Larry Stell confronted her. He took off his shirt and made sexual advances toward her. When she refused he pushed her to the ground. The woman took her daughter to her 87-year-old landlord’s house next door.

Stell followed her, forced himself inside and proceeded to punch her in the face. The landlord could not break up the fight, so he grabbed his shotgun and shot Stell in the torso. Incredibly, Stell still stormed toward the landlord, forcing him to shoot the attacker again.

Lt. Britt Snyder told local news it was good the landlord was armed.

"He certainly would have been no match for a man that's 40 years younger than him,” said Snyder. "Having taken action with a handgun may have prevented a possible murder, maybe the murder of both of them. We don't know."

http://www2.wbtw.com/news/2013/feb/15/7/man-tries-rob-myrtle-beach-woman-runs-after-victim-ar-5599357/

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/armed-87-year-old-saves-woman-cops

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

So handguns do save lives of innocent people. Even when grabbed from the glove compartment. Even when used by your 87-year old neighbor.

Raintree
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

*raises hand*

So, when I was 18 months old, my mother and I lived alone in a nice-ish neighborhood. One day, my mom  allowed a guy to come into our house to use the phone after his car erupted in smoke just outside our house in the street. He tried to call a friend, but got a busy signal- or so he said. He came up behind my mother and put his hands around her waist and began kissing her neck-whispering foul things about how he knew she wanted it. She turned around, grabbed his hair and began dragging him toward the front door, which was about 4 feet away from where they'd been standing. He grabbed her hair- which was in a pony tail- and she pulled it loose and punched him in the eye with her right hand, followed by a knee in the groin. She shoved him through the screen door and told him she was calling the police and, because it was right there on the table by the door- grabbed her camera and clicked it in his direction.

She didn't get him in the photo, but the police got him as he hobbled down the block.

We were saved by camera.

Interesting to note- this guy was not small. He was several inches taller than my 5'1'' mother, and rather bulky. Never underestimate fighting back- and a knee in the groin. Also never underestimate the value of teaching your girls how to hit.

Of course, several years later, we were woken every night by calls from an unidentified male who would say gross things to my mom. One night, she finally told him off and ... he started crying and confessed all his many sins to her.

No more phone calls.

Not everyone needs a gun.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

But many do.

Your mom was lucky - even though she went through hell.

A gun would have ended things much  sooner. And a gun in the groin - I shudder to think of it!

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

So, when I was 18 months old, my mother and I lived alone in a nice-ish neighborhood. One day, my mom  allowed a guy to come into our house to use the phone after his car erupted in smoke just outside our house in the street. He tried to call a friend, but got a busy signal- or so he said. He came up behind my mother and put his hands around her waist and began kissing her neck-whispering foul things about how he knew she wanted it. She turned around, grabbed his hair and began dragging him toward the front door, which was about 4 feet away from where they'd been standing. He grabbed her hair- which was in a pony tail- and she pulled it loose and punched him in the eye with her right hand, followed by a knee in the groin. She shoved him through the screen door and told him she was calling the police and, because it was right there on the table by the door- grabbed her camera and clicked it in his direction.

She didn't get him in the photo, but the police got him as he hobbled down the block.

We were saved by camera.

Interesting to note- this guy was not small. He was several inches taller than my 5'1'' mother, and rather bulky. Never underestimate fighting back- and a knee in the groin. Also never underestimate the value of teaching your girls how to hit.

Of course, several years later, we were woken every night by calls from an unidentified male who would say gross things to my mom. One night, she finally told him off and ... he started crying and confessed all his many sins to her.

No more phone calls.

idunno1234
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM

LOGIC USED TO SAVE PARTICIPANTS ON WEBSITES FROM STUPID REASONING.

Sometimes guns defend but usually they just kill innocent people.  And many of the people who kill out of anger, the heat of the moment, drunkenness/druggedness, sheer stupidty, accidents, had no criminal history or history of mental illness.  Go figure.

1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I have been in situations that I got away from the bad guy many times without a gun. I also had to use a gun once, so it depends on the situation and the person.

I always say there is many ways to protect ourselves you don't need a gun in every situations, but we should still be able to have a gun if we think one is needed.

I have used my keys in between my fingers and hit a guy hard enough in the face where he let me go. I also kicked a guy in his male parts so he couldn't grab my purse, thanks for Karate. I even have a bow & arrow. I do think guns should be the last resort, but we should still have them if we need them.

The one time I needed a gun, this guy broke into my house, my dh was gone. I got my gun out told the guy I was armed and for him to leave. He didn't leave, kept coming up the stairs. I shot once hit his arm. He left, because I did shot him he went to the hospital and that is where the police found him. He was a serial rapist. He always was armed, and raped more then 30 women and killed 10. So in this sitution I am happy that I had a gun. 

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

We were saved by camera.

No more phone calls.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM

BUMP!

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Frankly, she is very lucky that this guy wa inexperienced and was startled by confrontation. This is hardly a normal outcome.

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

We were saved by camera.

No more phone calls.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raintree
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM

hardly normal?

Most of these situations are done by someone the woman knows. Not every idiot is a serial rapist of killer or both. Many, many, many just plain old idiots out there.

My mother does own a gun. Always had one.

Quoting Carpy:

Frankly, she is very lucky that this guy wa inexperienced and was startled by confrontation. This is hardly a normal outcome.

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

We were saved by camera.

No more phone calls.

Raintree
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM

"through hell"?

haha..

The entire experience lasted seconds. He got nothing. She would have had to go get the gun, or would've had to be wearing it at all times to do what you're suggesting would have ended it "sooner".

lol..

Quoting SallyMJ:

But many do.

Your mom was lucky - even though she went through hell.

A gun would have ended things much  sooner. And a gun in the groin - I shudder to think of it!

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

We were saved by camera.

No more phone calls.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. hardly normal, considering, by your tale, it was a stranger.  You do not know what appropriate action to take in a situation like that.  Sometimes fighting back will startle them off, especially with a beginner.  Other times, it may anger them even more and get you hurt worse or killed, (assuming the rapist hasn't advanced to the killing stage.  If he wanted he could have overpowered your mother.  If the rapist is not hiding his identity, there is a very strong chance, he does not intend for you to live.

Quoting Raintree:

hardly normal?

Most of these situations are done by someone the woman knows. Not every idiot is a serial rapist of killer or both. Many, many, many just plain old idiots out there.

My mother does own a gun. Always had one.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting Raintree:

*raises hand*

We were saved by camera.

No more phone calls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)