Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Nancy Pelosi[D-CA]: Congressional pay cut would diminish the dignity of lawmakers’ jobs

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
  • 14 Replies

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday that she opposes a cut in congressional pay because it would diminish the dignity of lawmakers’ jobs.

“I don’t think we should do it; I think we should respect the work we do,” Pelosi told reporters in the Capitol. “I think it’s necessary for us to have the dignity of the job that we have rewarded.”

The comments were made in the context of the looming sequester, which would force across-the-board cuts affecting most federal offices, including Congress. With lawmakers nowhere near a deal to avert those cuts, federal agencies are bracing for ways to absorb them with minimum damage to programs and personnel.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/283341-pelosi-congressional-pay-cut-undermines-dignity-of-the-job-

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM
3 moms liked this
They aren't doing their job, they are all doing what they want and at the last minute trying to make deals

I think they should all be Fired and in the future only be allowed one 6 year term

All raises should be put in the ballot when we vote for President
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Pelosi diminishes the dignity of the office whenever she opens her mouth. They are NOT getting a pay CUT, they just aren't getting a pay raise.

Only the dems seem to equate cuts with no increase or smaller increases. Most people equate cuts with less, not the same amount or a smaller increase. SMH

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

The senate is the only one that's a 6 year term. The entire house is up for election every 2 years. The senate is divided into thirds, with one third up for election every 6 years.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

They aren't doing their job, they are all doing what they want and at the last minute trying to make deals

I think they should all be Fired and in the future only be allowed one 6 year term

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I know what it is now. IMO it needs to be changed, including POTUS

One 6 year term means no more campaigning while on the job

Quoting DSamuels:

The senate is the only one that's a 6 year term. The entire house is up for election every 2 years. The senate is divided into thirds, with one third up for election every 6 years.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I think that's a great idea!  What do we need to do to make this happen.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Nancy - You work for me and the rest of the American people - Remember?

You are not dignified. Regardless, when you and your cronies pass laws that damage our economy and delay its recovery, you are to blame. Which means you get a poor performance review. Which is not eligible for a pay increase. Especially with so many people out of work.

The American people's money belongs to the American people. Not you.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Everytime I read this, it sounds like something taken out of context - it's like half a sentance.  It makes no sense when it stands on it's own.

However, I can't find anything to put it in context.

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, but if a republican was president, you certainly wouldn't think the presidency should be six years.  Ridiculous.  They can do too much damage in that amount of time.  But then again, it only took Obama less than four years to wreck our country.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

grandma B

grandmab125
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Look a little harder.  You can find the video clip at http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto-/2013/18/house-passes-pay-freeze-bill-fed-workers-38k.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Everytime I read this, it sounds like something taken out of context - it's like half a sentance.  It makes no sense when it stands on it's own.

grandma B

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Whoa there, simmah down.  It's a really weird quote but I don't doubt it's accuracy - it just sounds so weird, like a snippet.  I am no Pelosi defender.

Thanks for the link.

ETA link doesn't work, I'll try to find it somewhere else.

Quoting grandmab125:

Look a little harder.  You can find the video clip at http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto-/2013/18/house-passes-pay-freeze-bill-fed-workers-38k.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)