Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Illinois, Are you proud of your politicians?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Former Rep. Jesse L. Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.) will plead guilty to conspiring with his wife to illegally spend $750,000 in campaign funds on personal expenses, including a $43,000 Rolex watch, fur coats and memorabilia associated with Michael Jackson, Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X and Bruce Lee, according to information obtained by POLITICO.

The charges against him include conspiracy, making false statements, and mail and wire fraud…

Prosecutors will recommend a prison sentence of between 46 months and 57 months for Jackson Jr., as well as a fine of $10,000 to $100,000, and forfeiture of a yet-to-be-determined portion of the misspent $750,000 in campaign funds.

Chicago has been named among this nations most corrupt cities. between 1976 and 2010, there were 1,531 convictions for public corruption in "the federal district dominated by Chicago," according to the Associated Press.

Blagojevich was the 2nd Illinois governor in a row to follow his term with a stint in federal prison

...and the fourth from Illinois that has served time in the past 50 years.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/jesse-jackson-jr-to-plead-guilty-to-federal-charges-87716.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/blagojevich-joins-illinois-govs-bars/story?id=15928257

http://www.examiner.com/article/chicago-style-politics-illinois-politicians-and-their-prison-sentences

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

It's the "Chicago way" *SIGH*

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM
2 moms liked this

They must be.  Hell even with all the craziness surround JJ Jr they still elected him in.

SallyMJ
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

The most corrupt state (and city - Chicago) leadership in the country.

I think the state government would be considerably less corrupt if they just picked leaders randomly out of the phone book.

And this is why leftist leaders think it is a racist "dog whistle" for a conservative to say "Chicago" or "Chicago-style". As in "Chicago-style politics". Which is corrupt. Even though most of those corrupt leaders were white.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm in IL and it is really disheartening.  Our governors in prison.  Triple J tries to buy a Senate seat.  Rahm Emmanuel(Chicago Mayor)did not even meet the residency rule.  The Daley's.  Richard M.Daley's grandson puched and killed a man 1/2 his size 10yrs ago-coming to light again now after the homicide covered up.  Triple J's wife Sandi Jackson was an alderman in Chicago but lived in DC.  Lest I forget our most transparent POTUS.  Everone intertwined...

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We thought we might be transferred to Illinois.  When I started researching property taxes, political, business dev.  I wasn't impressed. The politics in that state are horrendous.  Politicians have too much power and continue to be re elected despite corruption.  It has trickled down into the economy so bad, when I was researching, I discovered many people live in the surrounding states to avoid the politics, taxes, and problems of Illinois.  

Quoting SandyLaxner:

I'm in IL and it is really disheartening.  Our governors in prison.  Triple J tries to buy a Senate seat.  Rahm Emmanuel(Chicago Mayor)did not even meet the residency rule.  The Daley's.  Richard M.Daley's grandson puched and killed a man 1/2 his size 10yrs ago-coming to light again now after the homicide covered up.  Triple J's wife Sandi Jackson was an alderman in Chicago but lived in DC.  Lest I forget our most transparent POTUS.  Everone intertwined...

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Yup. Indiana and wisconsin.  I am not in Cook County(Crook County) but west of Chicago,grew up in Chicago. 

Quoting jcrew6:

We thought we might be transferred to Illinois.  When I started researching property taxes, political, business dev.  I wasn't impressed. The politics in that state are horrendous.  Politicians have too much power and continue to be re elected despite corruption.  It has trickled down into the economy so bad, when I was researching, I discovered many people live in the surrounding states to avoid the politics, taxes, and problems of Illinois.  

Quoting SandyLaxner:

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

REALLY,Triple J?  How many fur capes does one man NEED?LOL but not really...

jcrew6
by Jenney on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotta look good... At any Price.  

Quoting SandyLaxner:

REALLY,Triple J?  How many fur capes does one man NEED?LOL but not really...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)